Alarming Article In Sports Weekly - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Alarming Article In Sports Weekly

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby BankRoll » Fri Jun 13, 2003 3:46 am

Robman wrote:Anyone notice Soriano hasn't hit a HR since Sammy got caught, I'm guessing he is a little paranoid right now and isn't using his corked bat until the Sammy thing cools down.
Hahahaha that's the dumbest thing I ever read. That's some brilliant logic there. Bagwell hasn't hit a homer since 5/5. He must be a corker too. *sigh*
BankRoll
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Robman » Fri Jun 13, 2003 1:12 pm

I was just trying to fire up the Yankee lovers out there with the Soriano comment. My point was just that cheating is part of the game.
Robman

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby DanteNoX » Fri Jun 13, 2003 3:20 pm

In regards to the first quote about the not giving real bats to coop., i dont see this as a big deal. In fact, thinking about it, I might do the same thing those players do! After all, it was a big moment for *me*, and i might want to keep the sovenior (sic). And that person is right, nobody knows the difference.

On that one it would just be better to stay in blissful ignorance. The cheating on the other hand, i am sure its as rampant as has been said, and its too bad.

One reason why baseball players dont want random drug testing : marijuana. I would oppose it too for that reason. I bet a lot of them arent afraid of getting caught using roids, but marijuana, cuz im sure steroid testing would show up a whole LOT of stuff. Rich famous ppl do a lot of recreational drugs.
Yankees for life
DanteNoX
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby tjhksig » Fri Jun 13, 2003 4:16 pm

DanteNoX wrote:One reason why baseball players dont want random drug testing : marijuana. I would oppose it too for that reason. I bet a lot of them arent afraid of getting caught using roids, but marijuana, cuz im sure steroid testing would show up a whole LOT of stuff. Rich famous ppl do a lot of recreational drugs.

Yeah, right; it's all that weed that made Barry's head double in size in a few years, plus gave him all that muscle. All the pot-head's I see are huge.
tjhksig
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby guest » Fri Jun 13, 2003 4:37 pm

The stupidity here isn't in the corking of the bat. It's in corking a bat with a shaved handle and probably made out of maple. If you're going to cork, you better have a thicker handle and ash wood. Maple is so hard it tends to shatter in a ton of pieces rather than merely snap like ash does.

Anyways, cheating is a part of certain games, if not all. Guys are always trying to get an edge. Any pitcher that says they would never cheat is a liar. You don't think every pitcher would scuff a ball, and they probably do, so it moves a heck of a lot more. NASCAR is famous for its cheating. NFL players cheat all the time (See Romanowski). The NBA has cheaters to, Stockton is a reknown dirty player for throwing cheap shot after cheap shot to get an edge. Horse racing is all about cheating.

Look, I don't like Sosa. I thinks he's roided up as much as anybody. He went from a thin guy to a monster in no time at all, but I don't care if he cheats with his bat. I'm more upset that guys are roiding in baseball, than corking bats and doctoring balls. The latter two are and have always been a part of the game, just as other sports have had their own ways of cheating. Heck, Tiger Woods has stated that he wants to have players' drivers checked before they tee off to make sure they're not "hot".

Anybody that is shocked and appaled by this is naive. Don't by into ESPN and every other news media. It's their job to blow things out of proportion. The fact is, it's a part of the game. Deal with it.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers