Alarming Article In Sports Weekly - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Alarming Article In Sports Weekly

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Chiggidy Chester » Thu Jun 12, 2003 3:09 pm

I'm including some alarming excerpts here from an article that appears in Sports Weekly issue June 11-17, 2003. The article appears on page 13 and is entitled "Sosa's Mistake Was In Getting Caught". Here goes........

2nd column, paragraph 5

"Several players we talked to this week privately confessed they've never donated their actual bat or artifact to the Hall of Fame. Instead, they'll dig in their locker and find something similar, knowing no one will ever know the difference."

My Reaction
-Now I know the difference
-Why are they doing this?
-Why won't they identify themselves, because they know it's wrong?
-My trip to Cooperstown will now be highly tainted
-I am sad now

3rd column, paragraph 4-5

"It's ridiculous," one All Star outfielder told Sports Weekly. "Everyone's making a federal case out of this. I bet we've got six or seven corked bats in this clubhouse. One of them (a player I know) is using it all of the time. But so what?
Come on, you don't think everyone else is cheating? Look at the pitchers who always scuff the ball. How about the guys who use steriods? How about all of the greenies? And we're worried about this?" "Please. There's no difference between this and finding out there's no Santa Clause or Easter Bunny."

My Reaction
-Everyones corking?
-This outfielder knows someone doing it all the time? Why does he condone it?
-Existence of Santa Clause and having an honest sport are synonomous? One is fiction and the other is what ticket paying fans of the sport expect from people we make millionaires.
-If I knew someone who was shoplifting all the time to support their family instead of working like the rest of us would I find it acceptable?
-What the hell is going on here?
-I'm now outraged

Can somebody tell me why these horrible truths aren't corrected?
Chiggidy Chester
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dr.DooM » Thu Jun 12, 2003 3:28 pm

There's a reason why the Player's Union won't agree to random drug testing. It's going to be the same reason why they won't agree to random bat checks.
Experience is a hard teacher. She gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.
Dr.DooM
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Robman » Thu Jun 12, 2003 4:04 pm

Hitters and pitchers have been cheating since baseball began. People will always cheat especially when money is involved. Not all players cheat, but a good percentage of them. Some get caught and some don't. Sammy just happened to get caught. Anyone who thought any of Sammy's Hall of Fame bats were corked are about as naive as a 5 year old. Of course they don't give their corked bats to the Hall of Fame. Anyone notice Soriano hasn't hit a HR since Sammy got caught, I'm guessing he is a little paranoid right now and isn't using his corked bat until the Sammy thing cools down.
Robman

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Chiggidy Chester » Thu Jun 12, 2003 4:14 pm

Baseball should fire every last one of these whining, cheating, piece of dung players and start from scratch. Set an example. Where's Judge Landis when you need him?

The players union blackmails owners into letting them cheat whenever they want by threatening strike. Cheating sucks and so does the players union.
Chiggidy Chester
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Transmogrifier » Thu Jun 12, 2003 6:14 pm

If they ever find out that this is happening throughout the sport, I really believe they should charge each player and the union for fraud.

What a shame.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby trippinonreality » Thu Jun 12, 2003 6:44 pm

Hey robman you say Soriano uses a corked bat and hasn't hit one since sammy got caught, wrong soriano hit one out 2 days after sammy got caught. Speculating on matters is one thing but flat out lying is another thing. Before you post remarks like that make sure you have the facts are straight.

The reason these aren't corrected is because no one actually wants them corrected. We build these guys up to be superheroes and they do what it takes to deliver the product we demand. Sammy or anyone else who uses a corked bat isn't to blame everyone of us who was thrilled by watching maris's 61 being chased is to blame. Everyone of us who speculates how many will arod hit out this year 60 or 70 is to blame. Everyone of us who wants to see Bonds break Hanks record is to blame.

There is a reason why those legends are called once in a lifetime players the only problem is because of our 10 second attention spans we expect and demand a once in a lifetime even to happen every single season. We as an audience want nothing more than to see extraordinary events become completely ordinary. Part of the blame is rising ticket prices (we can go to less games) part is less free time (we can watch fewer games on T.V.) but all of the blame belongs to us not them.
trippinonreality
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Jack-In-A-Box » Thu Jun 12, 2003 11:25 pm

Well i heard on ESPNews today that M.Morris's start will be pushed back vs the Yanks a day and Simontachi will take his turn vs Clemens. I thought that sounded kinda bogus when i thought about it. You know.. get Clemens his 300th win so the attention from Sammy will die down some more. Cause you know if it was Morris vs Clemens.. Morris woulda won that game ( I have Morris thats why i feel that way) But seriously.. not facing Morris certainly helps his cause for 300.
I heard from people here they thought that if they had found more corked bats from Sammy they wouldnt have let it be known anyway. Seems to me they are trying to make this Sammy thing disappear faster by all of the sudden having the Cards say.. Morris needs another day of rest before his next start. I hope Simontachi No-hits em.
Jack-In-A-Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Siege1386 » Thu Jun 12, 2003 11:29 pm

Cheating occurs in everything, because people want to win, but whoever this guy was in the article is a moron. He is going to get accused of cheating if he goes around saying it is okay to cheat. Why would it be okay? There are rules for a reason. MLB needs a remodeling.
Help me out by making a [url=http://www.fsworld.net/modules/donations/]Donation[/url] or [url=http://www.fsworld.net/register.php]Registering[/url] for my website

Siege1386
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Graphics Expert

Postby DGroundhog » Fri Jun 13, 2003 1:16 am

Quote:
"It's ridiculous," one All Star outfielder told Sports Weekly. "Everyone's making a federal case out of this. I bet we've got six or seven corked bats in this clubhouse. One of them (a player I know) is using it all of the time. But so what?
Come on, you don't think everyone else is cheating? Look at the pitchers who always scuff the ball. How about the guys who use steriods? How about all of the greenies? And we're worried about this?" "Please. There's no difference between this and finding out there's no Santa Clause or Easter Bunny."

My Reaction:

There's no Santa Claus or Easter Bunny??? :~(

[b][size=18]70*[/size][/b]
* Steroid induced record
DGroundhog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby tjhksig » Fri Jun 13, 2003 1:18 am

Here's my take:

If EVERYONE cheats, doesn't that level the playing field?

Don't think pro Football players don't cheat as well. Same shit (greenies, roids, uppers) minus the equipment.
tjhksig
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers