Who hits the most "no-doubters"? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who hits the most "no-doubters"?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Who hits the most "no-doubters"?

Postby Fantasy Guru » Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:20 am

I've read a bunch of opinions on who is, and who is not a home run hitter. Two seperate people have called both Manny and Pujols "not home run hitters" Though they can both easily make it over 40.

But if you watch a lot of their homers, you know they're headed out, but they're not usually complete no-doubters.

But phew... Adam Dunn, I think the word "mammoth" should only be used to describe his home runs. Just go to MLB.com and watch homers he hits and homers that everyone else hits.

...well, there's always Vlad.

EDIT: After watching some Dunn highlights again, maybe it's just because Dunn seems to pull the ball most of the time and gets the bat around quick, so the ball just disappears, while you see the ball fly off Pujols' bat out in front.
Is it possible that Dunn can swing faster than Pujols?

Oh, and, this is in no way a post to bring Pujols down. I have Pujols on my team, and don't even have Dunn!
Last edited by Fantasy Guru on Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
ImageYeah.. this "fantasy guru" thing is just a user name, folks.
Fantasy Guru
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mweir145 » Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:25 am

I'd say Vernon Wells..
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby thehat » Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:29 am

Sexson doesn't hit many cheapies, that's for sure. Neither does Vlad.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby matmat » Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:37 am

sheff... there is no doubt the ball will either go over the wall or through it...
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby WharfRat » Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:51 am

Ortiz?
Sosa used to be this way
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby RugbyD » Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:58 am

Sexson

bombs
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby theclefe » Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:09 am

WharfRat wrote:Ortiz?
Sosa used to be this way

When the bat helicopters around his head, you kow it's gone.

Sheffield lets them fly.

I know he has had only 2 in his career, but I'm sure Juan Pierre has a nice home run swagger.
theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 1)

Postby NYMetsIn2k4 » Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:12 am

I would definetely say Ortiz hits nodoubters, and Sheff absolutely slaughters the ball when he goes ya-ya.... plus Tejada hits some shots that you just know are gone
NYMetsIn2k4
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: Who hits the most "no-doubters"?

Postby phunkadelic » Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:47 am

Fantasy Guru wrote:EDIT: After watching some Dunn highlights again, maybe it's just because Dunn seems to pull the ball most of the time and gets the bat around quick, so the ball just disappears, while you see the ball fly off Pujols' bat out in front.

It's entirely possible that one player can swing faster than another. Realize, however, that the speed that the ball comes off the bat is a function of the speed of the swing as well as the speed of the ball, the mass (weight) of the bat, and the rigidity of the bat (batter's grip on the bat mainly).

More importantly, how far a ball travels is based solely on three things: speed off the bat, projection angle, and environmental factors (wind, altitude, etc.) - assuming all balls are of the same shape and weight.

So yes, he could be swinging faster, but if the ball is disappearing from your TV or computer screen faster on a consistent basis, it will necessarily go further on average (assuming we factor out ground balls and pop-ups).

edit: fixed quote box
phunkadelic
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Re: Who hits the most "no-doubters"?

Postby Fantasy Guru » Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:51 am

phunkadelic wrote:
Fantasy Guru wrote:EDIT: After watching some Dunn highlights again, maybe it's just because Dunn seems to pull the ball most of the time and gets the bat around quick, so the ball just disappears, while you see the ball fly off Pujols' bat out in front.

It's entirely possible that one player can swing faster than another. Realize, however, that the speed that the ball comes off the bat is a function of the speed of the swing as well as the speed of the ball, the mass (weight) of the bat, and the rigidity of the bat (batter's grip on the bat mainly).

More importantly, how far a ball travels is based solely on three things: speed off the bat, projection angle, and environmental factors (wind, altitude, etc.) - assuming all balls are of the same shape and weight.

So yes, he could be swinging faster, but if the ball is disappearing from your TV or computer screen faster on a consistent basis, it will necessarily go further on average (assuming we factor out ground balls and pop-ups).

edit: fixed quote box

That's not true. It's based on magic.
ImageYeah.. this "fantasy guru" thing is just a user name, folks.
Fantasy Guru
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers