Chacon to Yanks done............ - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to New York Yankees

Chacon to Yanks done............

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Chacon to Yanks done............

Postby dimaggio5 » Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:31 pm

It's official. Chacon is the Yanks new 5th starter.

Rockies acquired RHP Ramon Ramirez and RHP Eduardo Sierra from the Yankees for RHP Shawn Chacon.

It's not just the Tradition.....its Aura and Mystique
dimaggio5
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby blankman » Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:01 am

When you give up nothing, you get nothing.

As long as neither prospect amounts to anything unlike Brazoban, then this can't be a bad trade for the Yankees. There are no other options.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Chacón

Postby The Big Stick » Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:08 pm

What is wrong with the Yankees? First Nomo, now Chacón. The Yankees need to stop spending money and rebuild the farm system. The only prayer the Yanks have is that leaving Coors will help this guy. He has 30 plus walks and 30 plus K's.... WOW (what a pitcher)!!! I rather see the Yanks tank the season. Adding trash will not help. It will just cost the Yanks young players and more money. Not that I'm paying the contracts but when does the madness end?
I pose this question to you fellow Yankee fans. Whill Chacón take us past the Red Sox, the O's or the Angles? I think not why did we make that trade?
How did it help us?
Signature by: RedWoodTree824
Minor League Mentor

Postby davidmarver » Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:38 pm

blankman wrote:When you give up nothing, you get nothing.

As long as neither prospect amounts to anything unlike Brazoban, then this can't be a bad trade for the Yankees. There are no other options.

I know this may sound un-orthadox, but why not swap a good hitter for a good pitcher. I don't think the Yankees lineup would suffer as much as they'd benefit with a better rotation.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby MMoNeY24 » Fri Jul 29, 2005 5:00 pm

davidmarver wrote:

I know this may sound un-orthadox, but why not swap a good hitter for a good pitcher. I don't think the Yankees lineup would suffer as much as they'd benefit with a better rotation.

What hitter would you move though and what pitcher would you expect back? Matsui is in his last year of the deal I think, and I doubt he's going anywhere. Giambi's contract is untradable, even with his recent surge. Same goes for A-Rod, not many teams will take that contract and the way he's hitting, he won't go anywhere either. Sheffield is the only hitter that I can see the Yankees trading, but those rumors caused problems a couple of weeks ago, so I don't think he'll accept a trade anyway.

There's really no great hitter we can afford to deal or literally can deal with other teams because of their contracts and 'cause they're key guys. Posada is the only true tradable one that would bring back some value, but what would we bring back in anyway? Burnett is the only known-to-be pitcher on the market right now and we don't have what the Marlins want for him (or we wont give what they want, one or the other). Schmidt was rumored to be available, but I really don't think he's the answer and now that the Giants see they're still in that awful division race, they could use him if Bonds ever comes back for the stretch. It's not a bad idea off the bat, but it would be hard to accomplish - especially with how dead the rumors are right now this close to the deadline and how shallow the market actually is (as far as we know it).
MMoNeY24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Fri Jul 29, 2005 5:21 pm

davidmarver wrote:

You can't deal any of our hitters. Posada? Sure, who's our catcher though? Giambi, nobody will take. Cano, A-Rod and Jeter aren't going anywhere. Matsui won't be moved because Japan would go crazy. Bernie nobody wants. Sheffield made it apparent he won't go anywhere.

They have nobody they can move.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Re: Chacón

Postby blankman » Fri Jul 29, 2005 5:46 pm

The Big Stick wrote:What is wrong with the Yankees? First Nomo, now Chacón. The Yankees need to stop spending money and rebuild the farm system. The only prayer the Yanks have is that leaving Coors will help this guy. He has 30 plus walks and 30 plus K's.... WOW (what a pitcher)!!! I rather see the Yanks tank the season. Adding trash will not help. It will just cost the Yanks young players and more money. Not that I'm paying the contracts but when does the madness end?
I pose this question to you fellow Yankee fans. Whill Chacón take us past the Red Sox, the O's or the Angles? I think not why did we make that trade?
How did it help us?

You're being so unrealistic its frankly sad. You want to rebuild the farm system midseason AND be able to make it through the year? You'd have to be a fool to tank a season when you're .5 game out of the playoffs; its ludacris.

What Chacon does is provide a body out there that can eat some innings; they have no in-house options to eat those innings with all the injuries, so they have NO choice. Chacon is necessary, as is Leiter, as is Small to eat innings so that the team can tread water until Pavano and hopefully others come back.

Chacon, Leiter, Small and Nomo are costing the Yankees nothing but money; its not our money, so its not too big of a deal when all those guys are cheap as well (example: Leiter is only costing 200k).

And no david, they can't trade a hitter. They're all too expensive and Cano is too good to trade. There's also no pitchers available to trade for; you can't just say trade a hitter for a pitcher; the possibility for a deal has to actually exist first and one does not.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Rkiivs » Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:17 pm

blankman pretty much has a handle on it. Yanks are just throwing bodies out there as fodder while waiting for the healthy guys to return.

I actually don't mind Chacon because he provides the flexibility to start or relieve, though I see him eventually camping in the bullpen. Yeah, he's gonna stink it up a bit but at least he'll have to some behind him to help.
Rkiivs Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Innovative Member

Postby BronXBombers51 » Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:22 pm

Chacon is not making nothing. I believe he's making almost 2.5 million. And I don't think Colorado ate it, did they?
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby blankman » Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:37 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:Chacon is not making nothing. I believe he's making almost 2.5 million. And I don't think Colorado ate it, did they?

Honestly, its not our money. Its not a lot of money to them and if his season salary is 2.5, the Yankees don't owe him even half of that. Its really not a big deal at all.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Next

Return to New York Yankees