Spiked - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Spiked

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby SouthBronxBombers » Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:16 pm

Whatever you want to think.

There is nothing to appreciate about Rose. Average talent, a hot dog, whose only real claim to fame is that he played a very long time. A glorified singles hitter who ingratiated himself with the fans by running down to first base when he got a walk. The same man who whined when pitchers did not groove one for him in his streak. The same man who broke the cardinal rule of baseball. The same man who tries to be bigger than the game.
SouthBronxBombers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:17 pm

theclefe wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:To Guillen's credit, he immeadiately apologized to Chipper, and knew he shouldn't have done it. He grabbed Chipper by the arm and said something to him and Chipper patted him on the back, after at first looking pissed off.

At least Guillen knew what he did was wrong and immeadiately regretted it.

What was wrong about it? His foot was barely off the ground and he was within arms reach of the base. He had every right to do it to break up any possible double play. If chipper is too soft thats his problem, but a 2b/SS has to deal with it 2-3 times a game.

This is not Sosa situation.

He was within reach of the bag because Chipper was on it. And how could his foot be "barely off the ground" when Chipper had his pants shredded just a few inches from his groin?

Fact is he came in high with his spikes. If he had slid "normally", he would have spiked him in the ankle or calf, not the upper thigh. Was it dirty? Yes. Was it intentional? I don't know, and my guess is no since he apologized immediately. However, with Guillen, you never know.

He had every right to break up the DP. But he didn't need to bring his spikes in high to do it. A normal slide into Chipper's ankle or calf (as with most plays at 2B) would have been fine and would not have caused the play to be called a dirty one.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby ScythehandsVoxslayer » Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:19 pm

I'm just wondering at what age will it become immature for me to enjoy attractive women with a suspect amount of clothing on

i don't wanna grow up
Curt Schilling: [i] My main is a 49 Monk named Scythehands Voxslayer, and my alt's name is Cylc, Dwarven Cleric 19th level.[/i]
ScythehandsVoxslayer
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby jblank » Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:22 pm

SouthBronxBombers wrote:Whatever you want to think.

There is nothing to appreciate about Rose. Average talent, a hot dog, whose only real claim to fame is that he played a very long time. A glorified singles hitter who ingratiated himself with the fans by running down to first base when he got a walk. The same man who whined when pitchers did not groove one for him in his streak. The same man who broke the cardinal rule of baseball. The same man who tries to be bigger than the game.

8-o AVERAGE TALENT??????

4,256 hits, a career .303 average, almost 200 steals, more walks than strikeouts, and an OBP of .375. That "average talent" guy could outhustle better players and make them look silly.

That is average talent to you? Are you sure we are talking about the same Pete Rose?
Last edited by jblank on Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jblank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jblank » Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:25 pm

ScythehandsVoxslayer wrote:I'm just wondering at what age will it become immature for me to enjoy attractive women with a suspect amount of clothing on

i don't wanna grow up

Damn, no kidding. I never knew appreciating an attractive woman was a sign of immaturity. My dad is 61 years old and as far as I know, still loves naked women. By the looks of things, 75% of the forum members here are very immature then. ;-D
jblank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:30 pm

As for Pete Rose, I'll agree with SouthBronx here. He may have been a player who hustled and gave maximum effort, but everything he did was all done for the glory it could give to Pete. He was (and still remains) a selfish player and person. He stayed in past his ability to help a team simply to get the hit record. And, as SouthBronx commented, he was more upset about his hit streak ending than the fact the Reds lost the game.

So, he may have taken average talent and turned it into a Hall-of-Fame caliber career. But I hold no love for him and would rather root for a player like David Eckstein - who gives his all as well but does so for the team, not personal glory.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby SouthBronxBombers » Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:31 pm

Yes, average talent. Didn't field very well, had a weak arm, not very fast, no power, hit a long of singles and stayed around forever. 200 stolen bases over a career of how long? That's a real big deal there, less than an average of 10 a season. He is an incredibly overrated player. But because he has the Charlie Hustle image, he is beloved by his legions.
SouthBronxBombers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jblank » Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:00 pm

SouthBronxBombers wrote:Yes, average talent. Didn't field very well, had a weak arm, not very fast, no power, hit a long of singles and stayed around forever. 200 stolen bases over a career of how long? That's a real big deal there, less than an average of 10 a season. He is an incredibly overrated player. But because he has the Charlie Hustle image, he is beloved by his legions.

Seriously gotta disagree with that. You dont get 3,000 hits, let alone 4,200 hits, without being a damn good ballplayer. But dont listen to me, just take a look at the records he owns:

All-time Major League record for most career hits-4,256

All-time Major League record for most games played-3,562

All-time Major League record for most at bats-14,053

All-time Major League record for most singles-3,315

All-time Major League record for most total bases by a switch hitter-5,752

All-time Major League record for most seasons of 200 or more hits-10

All-time Major League record for most consecutive seasons of 100 or more hits-23

All-time Major League record for most seasons with 600 or more at bats-17

All-time Major League record for most seasons with 150 or more games played--17

All-time Major League record for most seasons with 100 or more games played-23

Only player in Major League history to play more than 500 games at five different
Positions-1B (939) 2B (628) 3B (634) LF (671) RF (595)

Major League record for playing in the most winning games-1,972

All-time National League record for most years played-24

All-time National League record for most consecutive years played-24

All-time National League record for most career runs-2,165

All-time National League record for most career doubles-746

All-time National League record for most games with 5 or more hits-10

Modern National League record for longest consecutive game hitting streak-44

Modern National League Record for most consecutive game hitting streaks of 20
or more games--7
jblank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby SouthBronxBombers » Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:17 pm

Of which the overwhelming majoirty are records you get for hanging around a long time and the natural results of that. Great hitter? No, not even close. Great run producer? No, not even close. Stolen bases? No, not even close. Fielder? Hardly. Arm? Weak.

A glorified singles hitter who simply played a long time and happened to play on some good teams. Rose was never even close to being the best player on any team he played for.
SouthBronxBombers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby brandnew » Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:30 pm

Ha, check out Guillen's post game comments. He's acting all tough now, but after the play he was groveling at Chipper, trying to calm him down! HAHA what a puss!
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers