Spiked - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Spiked

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby CubsFan7724 » Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:43 pm

HAC Wolves wrote:
TheYanks04 wrote:You mean like an a**hole that runs over a C in an AS game and ruins his career?

That was Pete Rose playing the game it is meant to be played. Back then The game was about pride and playing hard not who can hit the most jacks and everyone plays it was about beating the other League. Everyone should play like rose did, it wouild make the game much better

The only reason Rose played hard that game was probably because had a friggin bet on it. That was a classless act by a classless gambler.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jblank » Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:47 pm

SouthBronxBombers wrote:Everything Rose has ever done in the game was done for the purpose of drawing attention to himself. If it helped the team win, that was just a by product.

Oh baloney! Being old enough to remember Rose's career and how he played, that is an uneqivocal load of crap that you are spouting there. Rose was all about playing hard and helping the team win games, sorry you didnt see the Pete I did.
jblank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 2)

Postby BobbyRoberto » Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:52 pm

I don't think running over the catcher was a classless act. Back then, the players actually did care about winning the All-Star game, even if it didn't count for home-field advantage in the World Series like it does now. It was a much more interesting game then. The reason for "This Time It Counts" is because the All-Star game had changed from something the players really cared about winning to an "everyone gets to play" Little League-type game in recent years.

So, they really cared about winning and Pete Rose did what he had to do to win that game. That's not a classless act.

As a side note, it's not like Rose plowed over a smaller guy. Pete Rose was 5'11", 200 pounds, Fosse was 6'2", 215.
Roger Angell: I was talking with Bob Gibson and I said: 'Are you always this competitive?' He said: 'Oh, I think so. I got a three-year old daughter, and I've played about 500 games of tic-tac-toe with her and she hasn't beat me yet.'
BobbyRoberto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby SouthBronxBombers » Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:57 pm

Sorry, kid, I saw Rose's entire career. Frankly I doubt someone who is so juvenile they have to put a picture of a scantily clad young woman on their profile is old enough to have ever seen him play, or if they are, are so immature they don't much about it.

Rose was a hot dog, who realized that because of his average talent he needed to ingratiate himself with the fans. He has always been an asshole, always will be one, and does nothing in public that is not calculated to further himself.
SouthBronxBombers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BobbyRoberto » Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:07 pm

Hey, SouthBronxBombers, go back and read my post. I didn't say anything about Rose's personality one way or the other. All I said was his running over the catcher to win an All-Star game was not a classless act. It was the way the All-Star game was played then. I never said anything about whether he was an a-hole or not, nor anything about his personality.

I think your last post should be directed at jblank, he's the one you're arguing with about Rose's personality traits. You both can continue that argument if you want, but don't bring me into it. And calling me juvenile and immature was uncalled for, really, especially considering I'm not part of the "Pete Rose Personality Debate" that you and jblank are having.
Roger Angell: I was talking with Bob Gibson and I said: 'Are you always this competitive?' He said: 'Oh, I think so. I got a three-year old daughter, and I've played about 500 games of tic-tac-toe with her and she hasn't beat me yet.'
BobbyRoberto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby SouthBronxBombers » Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:07 pm

To show that, what was Rose whining about when his games with a hit streak came to an end? Not the outcome of the game, but the poor little jerk complained they were pitching him like it was the 7th game of the World Series. Yeah, they should have just grooved a couple for him, after all, they shouldn't have been playing to win, they should have been trying to let Rose hit the ball.

He is a self aggrandizing hot dog who thinks he is bigger than the game.
SouthBronxBombers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby SouthBronxBombers » Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:08 pm

It was directed towards him. He was the one who made the comment about ages.
SouthBronxBombers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby KaiserSoze » Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:12 pm

I'm just wondering if people would care as much if it was Chipper Jones that spiked Jose Guillen (even though Guillen doesn't play infield).
KaiserSoze
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jblank » Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:12 pm

SouthBronxBombers wrote:Sorry, kid, I saw Rose's entire career. Frankly I doubt someone who is so juvenile they have to put a picture of a scantily clad young woman on their profile is old enough to have ever seen him play, or if they are, are so immature they don't much about it.

Rose was a hot dog, who realized that because of his average talent he needed to ingratiate himself with the fans. He has always been an asshole, always will be one, and does nothing in public that is not calculated to further himself.

Brother I am 31 years old man and I remember Rose vividly, and the fact that you would attempt to judge my age from my having an attractive woman in my avatar box, is one of the most inane comments I have read on here.

I see many of your posts, most having a negative tilt. You strike me as one of these guys on here that just likes to bait people and argue, so looking at what you have said in here, and to me, I dont think I am gonna even try to change your way too clouded mind on this issue. I am just sorry that you cant in some way appreciate Pete Rose the ballplayer.
Last edited by jblank on Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jblank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jblank » Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:15 pm

SouthBronxBombers wrote:It was directed towards him. He was the one who made the comment about ages.

No, what I said was that I remembered the way he played, I never said that YOU didnt. I then said "I am sorry you didnt see the Pete I did", meaning that you obviously didnt see Pete Rose like I saw him.

Next time, before going on one of your tirades, ready to jump down someones throat, try and examine exactly what they are saying. It might save you from looking like a jerk.

Also, I am not at all defending Rose's off field behavior or his character, I am only commenting on the way the man played the game, and that was very good and very hard.
Last edited by jblank on Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jblank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers