Spiked - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Spiked

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:49 pm

Wasn't as bad as Sammy's slide, and Guillen did look genuinely sorry, but it was still a raw slide. hate to see garbage like that :-t
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 360)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BobbyRoberto » Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:17 am

One of the problems with the collisions at the plate is that many catchers set up camp at home, totally blocking the plate, before the ball is anywhere near them. Jason Varitek does this and is lauded for it, getting praised by the announcers when he blocks the plate, whether he has the ball or not. This is illegal, but never called.

I copied rule 7.06 from the MLB rulebook that clearly states this:
NOTE: The catcher, without the ball in his possession, has no right to block the pathway of the runner attempting to score. The base line belongs to the runner and the catcher should be there only when he is fielding a ball or when he already has the ball in his hand.

I've seen many plays at the plate where the catcher is totally blocking the plate without the ball but it isn't called so if a runner needs to plow them over, that's fine with me. Even if it's in the All-Star Game.

I don't condone what Sammy Sosa or Jose Guillen did, though, going in with spikes up is a Ty Cobb move, which shouldn't be tolerated. Back in the day, they'd get one in their earhole the next time up to bat after doing something like that. Or tagged in the mouth with ball in hand.
Roger Angell: I was talking with Bob Gibson and I said: 'Are you always this competitive?' He said: 'Oh, I think so. I got a three-year old daughter, and I've played about 500 games of tic-tac-toe with her and she hasn't beat me yet.'
BobbyRoberto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby theskaboss » Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:18 am

bigh0rt wrote:Wasn't as bad as Sammy's slide, and Guillen did look genuinely sorry, but it was still a raw slide. hate to see garbage like that :-t

Chipper was still really pissed off, I heard that in an interview somebody suggested that guillen was probably just frustrated, and Chipper said next time hes angry he'll take it out on the other teams best player :-b .

I really don't like Guillen, no other player with his skills moves around from team to team as often as he does... :-t
theskaboss
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Shadow of the Sun* » Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:08 am

theskaboss wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:Wasn't as bad as Sammy's slide, and Guillen did look genuinely sorry, but it was still a raw slide. hate to see garbage like that :-t

Chipper was still really pissed off, I heard that in an interview somebody suggested that guillen was probably just frustrated, and Chipper said next time hes angry he'll take it out on the other teams best player :-b .

I really don't like Guillen, no other player with his skills moves around from team to team as often as he does... :-t

What's funny is that Chipper considers himself to be the best player on the Braves. :-o
Shadow of the Sun*
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Cleveland Steamers » Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:03 am

I saw guillens move. It was an easy force out. No reason to take out the player (chipper in this case). It was low and absolutely unnecessary. Guillen went to a new low in my book, appology or not...the guy is a dirtbag. He should be fined/suspended for a move like that. If david wells is suspended for the stupid mouthing he did, guillen should be suspended for as long, i think longer. Who is better than chipper on the braves? he is the team leader and when healthy is the leader on the field. Who else even compares? Smoltz? He is a SP, he cant lead the team. Who are you thinking is the best player? Andruw Jones? I would agree that he is the best Brave this year but by no means has leadership qualities. Chipper has earned the leadership position and doesnt disappoint when he is healthy. He is the cornerstone of the team. Anyone that thinks leadership is underrated doenst know the game.
Cleveland Steamers
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Everywhere...looking for a job in baseball...or fantasy sports...

Postby thehat » Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:27 am

HAC Wolves wrote:
TheYanks04 wrote:Yeah right...They should hurt players in exhibition games, bet on baseball, bet on their own team, lie about it for years, disgrace themselves and the Pasttime, and be an otherwise total and complete a**hole. There is a model for everone to follow allright.

I said play like not act like he is in no way a role model off the field but one the field he was what every coach wanted a hustle guy who gave his all

Good post, HAC. I fully agree. No matter what one thinks about Rose's off the field issues, there's no finding fault with a guy who always gave everything he had in every game on the field.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby theclefe » Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:08 am

BronXBombers51 wrote:To Guillen's credit, he immeadiately apologized to Chipper, and knew he shouldn't have done it. He grabbed Chipper by the arm and said something to him and Chipper patted him on the back, after at first looking pissed off.

At least Guillen knew what he did was wrong and immeadiately regretted it.

What was wrong about it? His foot was barely off the ground and he was within arms reach of the base. He had every right to do it to break up any possible double play. If chipper is too soft thats his problem, but a 2b/SS has to deal with it 2-3 times a game.

This is not Sosa situation.
theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:24 am

TheYanks04 wrote:Yeah right...They should hurt players in exhibition games, bet on baseball, bet on their own team, lie about it for years, disgrace themselves and the Pasttime, and be an otherwise total and complete a**hole. There is a model for everone to follow allright.

you forgot get bad haircuts
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby SouthBronxBombers » Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:37 pm

Everything Rose has ever done in the game was done for the purpose of drawing attention to himself. If it helped the team win, that was just a by product.
SouthBronxBombers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jblank » Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:42 pm

When did you get sainted?

Everybody makes mistakes pal, but Pete Rose was a damn gamer. That guy played to play and everyone should see how he played and model themselves after him. He made a mistake and is being crucified for it, much too harshly in my opinion. Put Pete in the HOF!!!
jblank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers