Chacon to the Yanks - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Chacon to the Yanks

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby BronXBombers51 » Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:17 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:I do not wan tto go about defending Chacon...he blows. But in fairness, teh ROxs trying him as a closer really messed him up and he was SOOOO bad that year it skews the numbers. I think in fairness you have to throw that year's numbers out and stick with the numbers as a starter. I have no dount they blow, but have to look better with the closing numbers removed.

Ask and you shall recieve.

Chacon's numbers over the last 3 years as a SP:
256.1 IP
16-19
5.13 ERA
.253 OBA
118 BB

:-t
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby nsulham » Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:19 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:I don't argue with that but why even attempt to get Chacon? It's like signing Nomo, just compiling a crapload of crap. There are ways to go about getting underpriced talent, Billy Beane does it everyday of his life. Everyone in the Yankee FO is too dumb to get it done though.

To be honest with you I don't know. It was mentioned before and if I was a Yanks fan (shudder) I wouldn't mind seeing them bring some kids up, let them throw 5 innings or so and hope for the best. Can't be worse than going the retread route.

Chacon's nothing spectacular at all, granted, but he's certainly a better hand than Leiter or Nomo at this point. Of course how he fares in NY is yet to be seen but for potential alone you can't be too mad about this, considering the state of their rotation and what little they gave up.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby gws226 » Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:22 pm

You Yankees fans are all crazy! ;-D

- There seems to be a general concensus out there that Cano (and wang until recently) shouldn't be traded to mortgage the Yankees future.

-There are no other real prospects too trade.... Duncan? Playing like Tim Duncan might @ AA ball right now

-90% of the Starting Pitchers are Injuried :(

-But, yet they spend half the afternoon calling into the Fan saying THEY should trade for Soriano and not anyone else.

-They expect to somehow land any major SP that has crossed the rumor mill this season (clemens, AJ, insert next name here)

The Yankees are doing the right thing right now....... signing every possible pitcher who's arm hasn't fallen off and is capable of throwing 100 pitches. They haven't given up on the season when i would venture to say allmost every other club not named the Braves would of called it quits.

If i was a Yankees fan, I'd be happy they haven't mortaged the future again...... acccepted the situation, and are working every angle they possibly can in order to remain competitive.... even if that means they are taking chances on the al leiters, Nomo's and Chacins of the league.
Last edited by gws226 on Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you found my advice helpful, please help me
gws226
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby WharfRat » Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:23 pm

Just to add to the Shawn Chacon Gravy Train: He's never recorded a win after July. Ever.
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby nsulham » Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:24 pm

gws226 wrote:If i was a Yankees fan, I'd be happy they haven't mortaged the future again...... excepted the situation, and are working every angle they possibly can in order to remain competitive.... even if that means they are taking chances on the al leiters, Nomo's and Chacins of the league.

I think they would kill to have Chacin right now 8-o :-b
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

Postby TheYanks04 » Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:24 pm

Which would make him far better than Leiter and Nomo. Leiter is a 6-7 ERA pitcher now...Nomo a 7+. Neither is serviceable and neither can go 7 innings at this point. Leiter's outting yesterday was a classic case of even when he survives for 5 innings, he basically costs you the game because it means using the middle relief to get you through the game and our MR blows. Leiter does not want to throw strikes.

Chacon may be just as bad...that is TBD. he will not be good, he is likely not going to be serviceable. But at this point, if he could go 7 IPs with 4 ERs ona consistent basis, it would be helpful and probably good enough from our 5th SP.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby gws226 » Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:25 pm

nsulham wrote:
gws226 wrote:If i was a Yankees fan, I'd be happy they haven't mortaged the future again...... excepted the situation, and are working every angle they possibly can in order to remain competitive.... even if that means they are taking chances on the al leiters, Nomo's and Chacins of the league.

heheheheh... that I is a little too close to the O on this keyboard lol.
gws226
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby nsulham » Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:28 pm

gws226 wrote:
nsulham wrote:

heheheheh... that I is a little too close to the O on this keyboard lol.

Amazing how one little screwup can mean such a difference between two players right? :-b
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

Postby gws226 » Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:34 pm

lol.

Im slightly dyslexic. so i try to proof my posts after i post em.

I actually went back to fix excepted (supposed to be accepted) and totally missed Chacin........ :~( !+)
gws226
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby blankman » Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:49 pm

gws226 wrote:-But, yet they spend half the afternoon calling into the Fan saying THEY should trade for Soriano and not anyone else.

-They expect to somehow land any major SP that has crossed the rumor mill this season (clemens, AJ, insert next name here)

Those individuals saying that simply have no idea what they are talking about.

I know those of us hear are significantly more realistic.

The other stuff you said but I didn't quote, I generally agree. This is all they can do because they cannot in their right minds trade Cano.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers