NL Rookie of the Year - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

NL Rookie of the Year

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

NL Rookie of the Year?

Jeff Francis
4
7%
Brad Halsey
5
8%
Yhency Brazoban
5
8%
Zach Duke
11
18%
Willy Taveras
35
57%
Jason Ellison
1
2%
 
Total votes : 61

Postby BronXBombers51 » Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:31 pm

Willie.
25
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 11949
(Past Year: 54)
Joined: 8 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:19 pm

Too bad this list doesn't include a rookie OF who's posting an .885 OPS in one of the worst hitting parks known to man. He's far and away a better candidate than Ellison or Tavares.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy Expert
Posts: 5516
Joined: 12 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Happy Valley

Postby Tavish » Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:32 pm

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:Too bad this list doesn't include a rookie OF who's posting an .885 OPS in one of the worst hitting parks known to man. He's far and away a better candidate than Ellison or Tavares.


Except of course he isn't considered a rookie thanks to the early call-up from last season.
Image

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
Posts: 11068
(Past Year: 26)
Joined: 3 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:41 pm

He's on the rookie list at ESPN and BPro and was named "Rookie of the Month" in the NL for May.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy Expert
Posts: 5516
Joined: 12 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Happy Valley

Postby Tavish » Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:55 pm

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:He's on the rookie list at ESPN and BPro and was named "Rookie of the Month" in the NL for May.


Ahh I guess we were talking about different guys. O:-)

The only problem I would have giving it to Church is that he has half the PA as Taveras and played in 30 less games.
Image

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
Posts: 11068
(Past Year: 26)
Joined: 3 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:34 pm

Tavish wrote:
GotowarMissAgnes wrote:He's on the rookie list at ESPN and BPro and was named "Rookie of the Month" in the NL for May.


Ahh I guess we were talking about different guys. O:-)

The only problem I would have giving it to Church is that he has half the PA as Taveras and played in 30 less games.


So, Tavares wins because the Astros are stupid enough to play him all the time and bat him first?

I could see that if the two were anywhere close to each other in rate production, but Willie isn't within a country mile of Church. Assuming no injuries, Church will do far, far more in his 325 PAs than Willie will in his 600.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy Expert
Posts: 5516
Joined: 12 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Happy Valley

Postby mweir145 » Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:42 pm

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:
Tavish wrote:
GotowarMissAgnes wrote:He's on the rookie list at ESPN and BPro and was named "Rookie of the Month" in the NL for May.


Ahh I guess we were talking about different guys. O:-)

The only problem I would have giving it to Church is that he has half the PA as Taveras and played in 30 less games.


So, Tavares wins because the Astros are stupid enough to play him all the time and bat him first?

I could see that if the two were anywhere close to each other in rate production, but Willie isn't within a country mile of Church. Assuming no injuries, Church will do far, far more in his 325 PAs than Willie will in his 600.


These awards are mostly based on stats, so yes, the rookies with more playing time do have a better shot at the award than others who don't.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 16784
(Past Year: 10)
Joined: 3 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Toronto

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:44 pm

mweir145 wrote:These awards are mostly based on stats, so yes, the rookies with more playing time do have a better shot at the award than others who don't.


First, the question asked was not "Who will win" but "Who is". I'd agree that Tavares is a more likely winner. But, there are about a dozen guys, at least, who are more deserving of the award.

Second, the award should be based on stats, but to the extent that it is, it's based on the wrong stats.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy Expert
Posts: 5516
Joined: 12 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Happy Valley

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: buiviopaufamp, unioreimi and 6 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Wednesday, Sep. 3
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Philadelphia at Atlanta
(12:10 pm)
Pittsburgh at St. Louis
(1:45 pm)
San Francisco at Colorado
(3:10 pm)
Washington at LA Dodgers
(3:10 pm)
Seattle at Oakland
(3:35 pm)
Boston at NY Yankees
(7:05 pm)
Detroit at Cleveland
(7:05 pm)
Cincinnati at Baltimore
(7:05 pm)
NY Mets at Miami
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Toronto at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Milwaukee at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
LA Angels at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Texas at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
Chi White Sox at Minnesota
(8:10 pm)
Arizona at San Diego
(10:05 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact