I need some info on Todd Wellemeyer! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

I need some info on Todd Wellemeyer!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

I need some info on Todd Wellemeyer!

Postby stimples16 » Thu Jun 12, 2003 10:52 am

I know that hes supposedly the next "Mark Prior" for the Cubs. However, ever since he pitched a few innings of relief and got a W and a save for the cubs, he has been absent from a game for weeks. When are the Cubs going to give this kid the starting job that they promised him?The only reason I ask is because I am in a packed 20 team league and good pitchers are hard to come by. As of now, he is on the FA market and I was wondering whether or not I should pick him up. Thanks in adavance for your help.
stimples16
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: I need some info on Todd Wellemeyer!

Postby ukjohn » Thu Jun 12, 2003 12:38 pm

stimples16 wrote:I know that hes supposedly the next "Mark Prior" for the Cubs. However, ever since he pitched a few innings of relief and got a W and a save for the cubs, he has been absent from a game for weeks. When are the Cubs going to give this kid the starting job that they promised him?The only reason I ask is because I am in a packed 20 team league and good pitchers are hard to come by. As of now, he is on the FA market and I was wondering whether or not I should pick him up. Thanks in adavance for your help.

I have him in my CBS league, which is a keeper league for both MLB and minor league players. he got sent to triple A
"I'm out like a fat girl in dodge ball"
ukjohn
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby stimples16 » Thu Jun 12, 2003 12:41 pm

Why the hell did they send him back down to Triple-A?!? From what I understand, he hadnt given up an earned run and his WHIP was like 0.20. Are they ever going to make him a starter this year or what?
stimples16
College Coach
College Coach

Postby miller24 » Thu Jun 12, 2003 12:42 pm

Starter for who? No one is really struggling that much.
miller24
College Coach
College Coach

Postby ukjohn » Thu Jun 12, 2003 12:43 pm

the cubs are stacked with pitching

cruz is also in triple a, they just have no where to put them
"I'm out like a fat girl in dodge ball"
ukjohn
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Re: I need some info on Todd Wellemeyer!

Postby willieroe » Thu Jun 12, 2003 12:56 pm

Huh? Todd Wellemeyer has NOT been sent down to AAA, unless it happened in the last few hours. No, Todd is languishing on the Cubs' bench, while Baker overworks Alfonseca and Borowski. No idea why.
willieroe
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jdh » Thu Jun 12, 2003 2:06 pm

It's possible that the Cubs could bump Estes out of the rotation if he struggles badly, but obviously Wood, Clement, Prior and Zambrano won't be going anywhere.

The problem is that if Estes is removed from the rotation, Wellemyer might not necessarily be the guy they go to. Apparently, they want to develop Cruz into a starter, and he's probably next in line unless he gets traded, which has also been mentioned.

Dusty Baker always uses Alfonseca, Borowski and Remlinger because he's always been a manager that favors using veterans over younger players.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby willieroe » Thu Jun 12, 2003 2:16 pm

jdh wrote:Dusty Baker always uses Alfonseca, Borowski and Remlinger because he's always been a manager that favors using veterans over younger players.

Yes, but in the last 5 games (in the last 7 days) in which Baker has brought in the "closer" Borowski, 3 have come in "non-save" situations. (And in last night's game, Borowski resumed pitching after a 90-minute-plus rain delay.) It strikes me as bizarre than Baker did not call for Wellemeyer even once.
willieroe
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jdh » Thu Jun 12, 2003 2:18 pm

It's the same thing that he did in SF with his bullpen. He tends to have two or three pitchers he always uses and the rest of the bullpen gets ignored. This type of overuse is a large reason why Felix Rodriquez has lost his effectiveness, and Nen blew out his elbow.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby willieroe » Thu Jun 12, 2003 2:33 pm

jdh wrote:It's the same thing that he did in SF with his bullpen. He tends to have two or three pitchers he always uses and the rest of the bullpen gets ignored. This type of overuse is a large reason why Felix Rodriquez has lost his effectiveness, and Nen blew out his elbow.

On the other hand, Wellemeyer will be well-rested for the Cubs' next 17-inning game!
willieroe
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers