Dan Johnson - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Dan Johnson

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Dan Johnson

Postby oddmanout7 » Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:19 pm

The rook is hitting well .295 6 Hr in 156 AB.

He has the AAA numbers to back it up hitting .324 8 HR in 182 AB, the most impressive being 32 BB and only 24 K's...

What to expect from him the rest of the year? Next year? With the spotlight on Shelton, Dan Johnson has been quietly putting up solid #'s.
oddmanout7
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby zepfan » Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:06 pm

I just dropped Jay Gibbons for Johnson so I'm hoping he keeps it up. I was wondering the same thing though as I haven't really heard much about him.

"My cat's breath smells like cat food." - R. Wiggum
zepfan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Sultans of Squat » Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:07 pm

I picked him up maybe a month ago along w/ Swisher for my keeper league because I noticed that he was starting to put his expected skills to work, eg. BBs and extra-base hits though not too many HRs yet. Check out his excellent K/BB ratio even now. Whenever I get around to seeing an AB from him lately (on the net), even an out can be considered a very good AB as he regularly works the pitcher over for a long AB that may last over 10 pitches -- that's probably why his AVG and extra-base hits have been rising while his K/BB ratio stay excellent.

I think he has a shot at being somebody like Hafner a year or two from now as he does seem quite similar to Hafner in many respects although he has a better K/BB ratio right now -- he might trade that for more power down the line. But he won't have the same homepark advantage as Hafner -- not that Hafner has actually needed it that much so far. And of course, I'm just saying he has a (realistic) shot, not that he will actually get there as Hafner's a beast now. Hafner was not always that highly regarded himself, especially as a prospect. There were doubts on whether Hafner could actually put it all together to become anything remotely like Thome, which he seems to have done very quickly. I'm hoping DJ will follow the same path myself.

Playing for Oakland probably helps as he's actually expected to approach the game in that fashion (and was drafting accordingly) -- look at all the sluggers that they either produce or acquire and you'll see a theme.
Sultans of Squat
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 11)

Postby garf112 » Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:59 am

I like Johnson alot and felt he should have made the team coming out of ST. The A's should have figured out a trade to get rid of Durazo or Hatteberg. BB/K rate is stellar. He might max out at 30 HRs, but his batting average will be very helpful. He has no speed whatsoever and his defense is unimpressive, but that has never stopped Oakland from playing guys before. Picked him up even though I have Tex, DWright, Konerko and Casey for my 1b,3b,ci, and Util spots. Trying to trade Casey because I think Johnson will be the better hitter for the rest of the year, but, because of his lack of HRs, I've had a hard time finding any takers. Probably not a keeper this year, but could have his breakout year in '06.
Join Pennant Wars today! A simulated fantasy baseball game where you are the General Manager.

http://www.pennantwars.com/index.php?r= ... &user=2163
garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 39)

Postby Sultans of Squat » Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:10 pm

garf112 wrote:I like Johnson alot and felt he should have made the team coming out of ST. The A's should have figured out a trade to get rid of Durazo or Hatteberg. BB/K rate is stellar. He might max out at 30 HRs, but his batting average will be very helpful. He has no speed whatsoever and his defense is unimpressive, but that has never stopped Oakland from playing guys before. Picked him up even though I have Tex, DWright, Konerko and Casey for my 1b,3b,ci, and Util spots. Trying to trade Casey because I think Johnson will be the better hitter for the rest of the year, but, because of his lack of HRs, I've had a hard time finding any takers. Probably not a keeper this year, but could have his breakout year in '06.

Yeah, I agree (as I'm sure my previous post would suggest). Main reason why I grabbed him for my keeper league is that we get to keep everyone who doesn't enter real life free agency. :D In a typical keeper league where you only keep a few players, you're right that he probably wouldn't be a keeper yet since you normally want somebody much more proven than him, especially for 1B. In that case, you'd probably want to draft him as a great sleeper next year.
Sultans of Squat
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby garf112 » Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:16 pm

Sultans of Squat wrote:
garf112 wrote:I like Johnson alot and felt he should have made the team coming out of ST. The A's should have figured out a trade to get rid of Durazo or Hatteberg. BB/K rate is stellar. He might max out at 30 HRs, but his batting average will be very helpful. He has no speed whatsoever and his defense is unimpressive, but that has never stopped Oakland from playing guys before. Picked him up even though I have Tex, DWright, Konerko and Casey for my 1b,3b,ci, and Util spots. Trying to trade Casey because I think Johnson will be the better hitter for the rest of the year, but, because of his lack of HRs, I've had a hard time finding any takers. Probably not a keeper this year, but could have his breakout year in '06.

Yeah, I agree (as I'm sure my previous post would suggest). Main reason why I grabbed him for my keeper league is that we get to keep everyone who doesn't enter real life free agency. :D In a typical keeper league where you only keep a few players, you're right that he probably wouldn't be a keeper yet since you normally want somebody much more proven than him, especially for 1B. In that case, you'd probably want to draft him as a great sleeper next year.

Right. I still want to join that league next year if a spot opens up.
Join Pennant Wars today! A simulated fantasy baseball game where you are the General Manager.

garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Sultans of Squat » Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:14 pm

garf112 wrote:Right. I still want to join that league next year if a spot opens up.

Ah! That was you? :D I probably need to look up the old post in the classified section again, but yeah, we should have at least one opening going into next year (though that roster is very poor at this point). I'm also guessing there might be another opening w/ a decent roster as that owner seems to be MIA (and was never all that active anyway).

I'll keep you posted when the time comes. Not sure if you'd rather take the very poor roster w/ a few weeks left in the season so you could stock it w/ prospects OR wait til next spring to take over a roster w/ better veteran players. Will also need other owners' consent if we do the former instead of waiting til spring, especially since that roster is set up under the Commish's account, instead of a dummy account.
Sultans of Squat
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby garf112 » Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:46 pm

I can just start in the spring if its going to be a hassle. Obviously, I'd like the best team possible considering the hideousness of the FA market.

garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Return to Baseball Leftovers