quiet trade deadline - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

quiet trade deadline

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby pokerplaya » Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:06 am

NYMetsIn2k4 wrote:I also listened to the fan yesterday, and Zambrano was not mentioned in the most recent trade talks. and why would you rather have Zambrano go over Heilman? Heilman doesnt have a solid role with the Mets, and he hasnt proven that hes anything spectacular, plus u need VZams to stay in the rotation so when Trachsel comes back he can take Ishiis spot. also Willie never outright said Seo would take Ishiis spot, he said Maybe well give other guys such as Seo a chance. the biggest thing said by Willie on the Fan yesterday, which is HUGE!... and i Quote;

Willie Randolph on Alfonso Soriano "He's a Tremendous Talent... and Was Like a Son to Me"

if this doesnt finally make all the skeptical mets fans believe we Need soriano to have a serious run, nothing will. Plus lets be realistic, with Sori eligible for arbitration at the end of the year, sign em for another good 4-6 years and youll have Beltran, Soriano, Wright, and Reyes! makes too much sense. Milledge will be good, Heilman im still unsure of, and i love Cameron but if these are the 3 wed have to give up to get Soriano, DO IT!

As mouth watering as having Soriano on the Mets seems to be, it's really not all that amazing. Now, don't get me wrong, I'd love to make this deal. For me, if the deal was Cameron/Milledge/Heilman for Soriano, the deal would be done in a heartbeat. However, thinking that you would be getting a .285 40hr 120rbi guy is just silly. Shea Stadium will put a HUGE dent in those numbers, probably to the tune of Soriano regressing back to 2004 form. That coupled with the fact that he is such a great fantasy player for 3 reasons: 1. Positional Scarcity (doesn't really apply to real baseball) 2.His sensational numbers (which will decrease twofold if moved out of that bandbox) and 3.Lack of OBP in 5X5...he is a much greater fantasy player than he is regular player.

All that said, don't expect the world, but if he winds up in Queens, I'll welcome him with open arms.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RynMan » Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:09 am

theclefe wrote:
RynMan wrote:Reports have started popping up linking Dunn to the A's but this just doesn't fit. The A's would love to get this guy and now is their chance....although they are gonna have to shift a guy like Kielty or Payton to make room.

I don't see how Dunn fits in Oakland. Doesn't seem like a moneyball guy.

Have u ead Moneyball? Dunn is a high OBP and SLUG guy....exactly what the A's love.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby NYMetsIn2k4 » Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:22 am

Pokerplaya... i agree his numbers would deflate, but his numbers in 04 were 77r, 28hr, 91rbi, 18sb, 280avg. not bad by any means. granted the Shea Stadium effect has broken down a lot of players, but a lot of that is NY in general, and Sori has proved he can play in NY in the brightest lights! if he comes to the Mets i dont expect 40hr, 120rbis, 30sb...

with the lineup hed be in featuring your Top 6(not in any order): Jose Reyes, David Wright, Carlos Beltran, Cliff Floyd, Alfonso Soriano, Mike Piazza... youd have to expect Sorianos numbers to be up, despite Shea... and the 1st 5 mentioned will be here nextyr as well... so i say Sorianos numbers in Shea are a LOCK for 100r, 30hr, 100rbi, 20 sbs, .280avg... and potentially 35-40hr, 110-130rbi, 30-40 sbs, .280-.290avg and granted these numbers r huge, but look at whats battin infront of him... Reyes(fastest baserunner in the NL, hands down!), Wright(.300 hitter, easily, plus as he gets better expect 25hr, 100 rbi, 10-15 sb consistantly), Beltran(he will find his grove, with Sori expect Atleast 100r, 30hr, 100rbi, 40sbs, .275avg) and then Floyd(monster year, his numbers say enough, hopefully he can keep it up)
NYMetsIn2k4
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BronXBombers51 » Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:10 am

RynMan wrote:
theclefe wrote:
RynMan wrote:Reports have started popping up linking Dunn to the A's but this just doesn't fit. The A's would love to get this guy and now is their chance....although they are gonna have to shift a guy like Kielty or Payton to make room.

I don't see how Dunn fits in Oakland. Doesn't seem like a moneyball guy.

Have u ead Moneyball? Dunn is a high OBP and SLUG guy....exactly what the A's love.

Exactly. Dunn strikes out alot but he is a beast when it comes to OPS. If that team needs anything, it needs a huge bat to stick behind Chavy.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:13 am

pokerplaya wrote:
NYMetsIn2k4 wrote:I also listened to the fan yesterday, and Zambrano was not mentioned in the most recent trade talks. and why would you rather have Zambrano go over Heilman? Heilman doesnt have a solid role with the Mets, and he hasnt proven that hes anything spectacular, plus u need VZams to stay in the rotation so when Trachsel comes back he can take Ishiis spot. also Willie never outright said Seo would take Ishiis spot, he said Maybe well give other guys such as Seo a chance. the biggest thing said by Willie on the Fan yesterday, which is HUGE!... and i Quote;

Willie Randolph on Alfonso Soriano "He's a Tremendous Talent... and Was Like a Son to Me"

if this doesnt finally make all the skeptical mets fans believe we Need soriano to have a serious run, nothing will. Plus lets be realistic, with Sori eligible for arbitration at the end of the year, sign em for another good 4-6 years and youll have Beltran, Soriano, Wright, and Reyes! makes too much sense. Milledge will be good, Heilman im still unsure of, and i love Cameron but if these are the 3 wed have to give up to get Soriano, DO IT!

As mouth watering as having Soriano on the Mets seems to be, it's really not all that amazing. Now, don't get me wrong, I'd love to make this deal. For me, if the deal was Cameron/Milledge/Heilman for Soriano, the deal would be done in a heartbeat. However, thinking that you would be getting a .285 40hr 120rbi guy is just silly. Shea Stadium will put a HUGE dent in those numbers, probably to the tune of Soriano regressing back to 2004 form. That coupled with the fact that he is such a great fantasy player for 3 reasons: 1. Positional Scarcity (doesn't really apply to real baseball) 2.His sensational numbers (which will decrease twofold if moved out of that bandbox) and 3.Lack of OBP in 5X5...he is a much greater fantasy player than he is regular player.

All that said, don't expect the world, but if he winds up in Queens, I'll welcome him with open arms.

Soriano hit 39 homeruns in Yankee Stadium and followed it up with 28 homeruns in Texas. Soriano is not a product of his home ballpark (except this year for some reason). Soriano has always hit more homeruns on the road than he has at home, even in 2004 when he hit in Texas. Shea will have a small effect on his numbers, but there is no reason he can't hit 35 homeruns with 110 RBIs, 110 runs scored, and 25-35 stolen bases (depending on how much he has the green light). Yankee Stadium was a killer to rightys but he still managed to hit 35+ for 2 straight years.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby StlSluggers » Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:24 pm

RynMan wrote:Reports have started popping up linking Dunn to the A's but this just doesn't fit.

I've heard rumblings in St. Louis that the Cards may also be twirling around the idea of trying to acquire Dunn. Long-shot? Maybe not so much now that Sanders and Walker are both on the DL.

Besides, they've been saying all year that we'd like to trade for a young, signable outfielder. Dunn's definitely young, but I'm not so sure about his signability.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers