When does Yahoo clear waivers? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

When does Yahoo clear waivers?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Mercer Boy » Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:30 pm

When everything is working smoothly, waivers normally switch over to free agents at 5 AM Eastern time. But, the actual time of people being claimed off of waivers isn't set in stone apparently.

All I know is that during football season it's almost always 5 AM. That's when the scores update and when waivers guys turn into free agents. Working midnights on those weeks is a nice advantage. ;-D
The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy.
MySpace blog (updated 6/21 - Pirates walkout.)
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby bdrotoronto » Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:19 am

I've noticed that waivers usually tend to clear sometime between 6 am and 8 am eastern time.
bdrotoronto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby theclefe » Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:59 am

Does anyone know if another fantasy host is more reliable with these things? I remember Scott Olsen and Zach Duke not even being in the system until their second stars, much less clear waivers.

For me, I would say just before 5:30 - 6a EST is when things change over.
theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 1)

Re: When does Yahoo clear waivers?

Postby TheGinner » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:04 am

I'm bringing this back up because its all i could find and I'm tired of searching for a lost topic.

When does Yahoo clear waivers????????

This was 3 years ago, so who can tell me how early in the morning I need to stay up.

Thanks Cafe ;-D
TheGinner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 6)

Postby CBMGreatOne » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:18 am

My best recollection is between 5AM and 6AM central time.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 89)

Postby AllDay » Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:17 am

TheGinner wrote:I'm bringing this back up because its all i could find and I'm tired of searching for a lost topic.

When does Yahoo clear waivers????????

This was 3 years ago, so who can tell me how early in the morning I need to stay up.

Thanks Cafe ;-D

I think it's actually a 2 step process - but I could be wrong.

When I see players clear waivers after the draft, they clear at midnight PST and become FA's. Those players who have a waiver claim in then sit there for a while (still with the 'w' and date next to their name) while the waiver process sorts things out.

In that particular case, you can actually see which players are being claimed before the waivers process. I believe I have put in a waiver claim on one of those players at that point and ended up getting that player. That would have been a season or two ago - so maybe it was a fluke or maybe the glitch is fixed

So, I would look for other players who are on waivers for the same time frame, and mentally note which players they are (or put 'em on your watch list). Then, at midnight PST look to see if some of those players are now FA's and others are still 'on waivers' until the waiver process completes. If they are still on waivers after the others have cleared - then someone put in a claim for them.
AllDay
College Coach
College Coach

Postby BalataGrande » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:12 pm

Is there any rhyme or reason to when a "minor" comes up? For example, when a hot prospect like Cueto comes up (I missed on him btw) when does he hit the waiver process?? I have several leagues where there are no waivers so you have to be looking on the right day and right time. Is it the day after they have stats or is it random??
BalataGrande
College Coach
College Coach

Postby The Loveable Losers » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:49 pm

BalataGrande wrote:Is there any rhyme or reason to when a "minor" comes up? For example, when a hot prospect like Cueto comes up (I missed on him btw) when does he hit the waiver process?? I have several leagues where there are no waivers so you have to be looking on the right day and right time. Is it the day after they have stats or is it random??

It's neither random nor predictable - it's a human process done by the people at Yahoo!.

There's a filter option to see only players on waivers when you search for players...I use that in my leagues that watching the WW is important.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby j24jags » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:21 pm

Last season I stayed up waiting for some guys to clear or take grab a spot starter for the next day and I remember it was always somewhere between 330 and 4 AM EST.
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:24 pm

The Loveable Losers wrote:
BalataGrande wrote:Is there any rhyme or reason to when a "minor" comes up? For example, when a hot prospect like Cueto comes up (I missed on him btw) when does he hit the waiver process?? I have several leagues where there are no waivers so you have to be looking on the right day and right time. Is it the day after they have stats or is it random??

It's neither random nor predictable - it's a human process done by the people at Yahoo!.

There's a filter option to see only players on waivers when you search for players...I use that in my leagues that watching the WW is important.

This is incorrect. I've explained the process elsewhere on this forum multiple times this season, but manual intervention in the player approval process is very much the exception rather than the rule.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 42)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers