Casey Fossum is good?!? Who knew?!? Dang... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Casey Fossum is good?!? Who knew?!? Dang...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby mweir145 » Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:18 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:Looks like that correction just came into play.

4 IP 9 ER 7 hits 4 walks

He has the Yanks and Texas next. That should end any talk about Mr. Fossum being any good.

Ya, I'm dropping him. :-b
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kcs261 » Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:37 pm

Well, I did start him in that one game against KC way back when I started this thread. And he got me a W and a QS. I haven't started him since then, though. I haven't liked the matchups... Still, he got me one real good start.
kcs261
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mweir145 » Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:41 pm

kcs261 wrote:Well, I did start him in that one game against KC way back when I started this thread. And he got me a W and a QS. I haven't started him since then, though. I haven't liked the matchups... Still, he got me one real good start.

Ya, he got me a few too, but Ervin Santana is available in my league, so see ya later Fossum.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby TheYanks04 » Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:44 pm

Usually a good idea to be wary of any pitcher that has alast name that rhymes with possum.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby kcs261 » Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:46 pm

mweir145 wrote:
kcs261 wrote:Well, I did start him in that one game against KC way back when I started this thread. And he got me a W and a QS. I haven't started him since then, though. I haven't liked the matchups... Still, he got me one real good start.

Ya, he got me a few too, but Ervin Santana is available in my league, so see ya later Fossum.

I'm with you. No time like he present. You gotta win now or the guy hits the road. After the All Star Break, throw patience out the door.
kcs261
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby AT » Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:59 am

And Boom goes the Dynamite.
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Postby zEli173 » Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:34 pm

Fossum has always had a decent amount of talent. He's a lefty who works in the low 90's and has a big breaking curveball. He strikes out a good number of batters. His problem has always been developing a third pitch and consistently getting his curve over.

I haven't been so surprised to see him succeed lately, I've always thought that at some point he could become a solid starter and, with those K's, a good fantasy option. I agree with the other poster who said he'll get better with age. I can see that happening and I think he'll be a good value next year because he has shown some good flashes this year and because ...

... He's about to have a really rough last two months. As was also pointed out above, the Rays have a brutal schedule to finish the year and Fossum has the worst of it. He basically has the Red Sox, Yankees, Rangers, and O's the whole rest of the way. I was about to pick him up in a deep league where he was clearly the best available starter and then I checked his schedule and realized he is unstartable for 90% of his remaining chances.

Look to take a cheap chance on him next year.
zEli173
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby garf112 » Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:25 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:Looks like that correction just came into play.

4 IP 9 ER 7 hits 4 walks

He has the Yanks and Texas next. That should end any talk about Mr. Fossum being any good.

Good thing we had you to keep us updated on the situation. The guy is a good pitcher, and will put up decent numbers for the next few years. Granted this next month will be brutal as has been pointed out by anyone that can read a Tampa schedule. I would definitely take a late round go at him for next year.
Join Pennant Wars today! A simulated fantasy baseball game where you are the General Manager.

http://www.pennantwars.com/index.php?r= ... &user=2163
garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 39)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers