Question for Yankees fans - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Question for Yankees fans

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Sultans of Squat » Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:57 pm

Maybe you guys just don't understand how the large majority of baseball fans (and people in general) work -- and probably especially so in NYC. It's mostly about "what have you done for me lately" and being bandwagon fans. The other extreme would be excessive/blind loyalty, which does also happen w/ fans too, though usually only w/ players who've been good (but not necessarily truly great) w/ the team for a long time.

And as w/ most other kinds of forums, IMHO, we do not come close to representing the mainstream folks who attend sporting events, go to the movies, buying consumer electronics, etc. etc. in the particular activities/hobbies associated w/ the particular forums. IF we did, that probably means we're not very savvy about the particular activities/hobbies -- and in this case, baseball. :D
Sultans of Squat
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby socceryank » Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:37 pm

StudentOfTheGame wrote:
And he isn't terrible at first base, but he is below average.

Terrible or below-average, he still hurts the team when he's out in the field. I've seen way too many plays that a major leaguer normally would make look easy that Giambi will completely mess up.

I'm not saying you shouldn't cheer for him, but when he comes to bat, he gets a louder ovation than guys like G Sheff, A-rod. These are two guys 100 times the ballplayer that Giambi is.

Before you make a statement like this, which was the basis for your argument (NYY fans "embracing" Giambi more than the other stars), can you tell us how many Yankee games you have seen live in person? Having been to several recently (in the midst of his current streak), I can assure you he does not receive bigger ovations than ARod, Sheff, etc. I was actually surprised at how little of an ovation he received, in light of his recent production.

But let's just say he does receive a bigger ovation. What in the hell is wrong with getting behind a guy who has made a mistake in the past, was plastered as a cheater, was man enough to admit his mistake, and is making a comeback which is proving he does have the talent we once thought he had? Why is it ok to constantly beat down pro athletes every chance the media and public gets, but heaven forbid the fans get behind a guy as he overcomes adversity?

Why did Kenny Rogers receive a warm ovation from his hometown fans (at least from what I read in the papers)? Should he be embraced for taking on a cameraman? Why are you not concerned about him being embraced in Texas? Would he receive the same ovation if he had a record of 3-8 with an ERA of 6.78?

And let's get over this "he never came out and specified why he was apologizing" garbage. Everyone knows why he had to do it that way, and everyone here would probably have done the same in order to have a second chance to prove themselves. Let's not be hypocrites or holier than thou.

As a Yankee fan, was I cussing him during his horrible season last year and miserable start this year...yes. Am I hoping he continues to do well, not only for the Yanks benefit, but to redeem himself...you better believe it.

Give the guy some friggin' credit for handling himself as professional as humanly possible, and for not being an ass now and saying things like "I told you so." He has basically kept his mouth shut, worked on his game, and got back on track. Get past the Yankee hating, and let's root for a guy to succeed instead of taking enjoyment in kicking him while he is down.

And yes, if the Yanks let him go or traded him, I'd still pull for him to do well.

Whew...thanks for letting me vent. :-o
C M. Montero
1B AGonz
2B Uggla
3B Zimmermann
SS Jeter
OF J Upton, McCutcheon, Choo
Util Kendrys Morales
BN Pena
DL Gardner
SP Gallardo, Bumgarner, Latos, Zimmermann, Luebke, Jaime Garcia, Hughes, Burnett
RP League, Marshall, Betancourt
socceryank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby blackbearabroad » Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:01 pm

Never thouught i'ld be here defending yankee fans suport of Giambi but it does make sense, and a good stroy.
Giambi's struggled a lot the past couple years and it has been more then just steroids (intestinal parisites, benign tumors, the gigantic whole in his swing). Its just nice to root for a guy whos hit bottom and made it back

while steroids are inexcusable im not nieve enough to think that hes only one of a handful of people to use them. That being said hes always seemed like a nice enough guy, and while it would be eaiser to root for him on Oakland, i can still stomach rooting for him on the yanks
blackbearabroad
College Coach
College Coach

Postby StudentOfTheGame » Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:06 pm

And let's get over this "he never came out and specified why he was apologizing" garbage. Everyone knows why he had to do it that way, and everyone here would probably have done the same in order to have a second chance to prove themselves. Let's not be hypocrites or holier than thou.

As a Yankee fan, was I cussing him during his horrible season last year and miserable start this year...yes. Am I hoping he continues to do well, not only for the Yanks benefit, but to redeem himself...you better believe it.

Give the guy some friggin' credit for handling himself as professional as humanly possible, and for not being an ass now and saying things like "I told you so." He has basically kept his mouth shut, worked on his game, and got back on track. Get past the Yankee hating, and let's root for a guy to succeed instead of taking enjoyment in kicking him while he is down.

This post had nothing to do with "Yankee hating"...I love watching the Yanks play. That being said, I'm not a huge Giambi fan. In fact, I'm not a huge fan of any player that is in the lineup only for the bat(this includes Big Papi). I'm not rooting for him to fail, but as a fan of baseball, I can't stand watching him play. He's basically a player who relies on his strength and quick bat(all of his hits are pulled into right field), and he looks completely lost against good pitching. He's also a disgrace in the field. I, personally, do not think this guy is even close to being worth his 85 million dollar tag, and that just makes me wonder why any fans would like him at all. But I can understand, that as Yankee fans, hell yes you're going to root for him. I just watched a few Yankees broadcasts recently and theyre talking about Giambi as if he were the best hitter on the team...Sure, he is the hottest hitter, but he's nowhere near the calibur of a G Sheff or an Arod.
StudentOfTheGame
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby blankman » Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:35 pm

This is silly.

All fans cheer the players on their team that are playing well and Giambi with his league leading OBP, is doing just that.

His resurgence provides protection for Hideki and makes the lineup even more scary and deeper. Its 6 guys deep now 8-o
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby HOOTIE » Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:07 am

Everybody gets booed. You produce, the boos leave. Anyone can handle success. Giambi has proved he can handle failure. Got to tip your cap to him. Yea he cheated, but so did hundreds of others you haven't heard about. 1b isn't a big defensive position. The way Giambi is hitting, he would be productice playing 1b with a catchers mitt. Guess which NYY is only 1 win share behind Jeter? Guess which AL 1b is leading in VORP? This defense slap on Jason is silly. Great bat no glove, beats a great glove no bat, every time. Give Jason his due.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby socceryank » Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:18 am

StudentOfTheGame wrote:

This post had nothing to do with "Yankee hating"...I love watching the Yanks play. That being said, I'm not a huge Giambi fan. In fact, I'm not a huge fan of any player that is in the lineup only for the bat(this includes Big Papi). I'm not rooting for him to fail, but as a fan of baseball, I can't stand watching him play. He's basically a player who relies on his strength and quick bat(all of his hits are pulled into right field), and he looks completely lost against good pitching. He's also a disgrace in the field. I, personally, do not think this guy is even close to being worth his 85 million dollar tag, and that just makes me wonder why any fans would like him at all. But I can understand, that as Yankee fans, hell yes you're going to root for him. I just watched a few Yankees broadcasts recently and theyre talking about Giambi as if he were the best hitter on the team...Sure, he is the hottest hitter, but he's nowhere near the calibur of a G Sheff or an Arod.

Sorry, most of my comments were not directed personally at you, more in regards to numerous postings on this topic.

But let's face it; how many ballplayers (in any sport) can justify the millions they get paid?

While I don't think Giambi's defensive abilities will ever be considered good, I think calling him a disgrace is a little extreme. During this streak, he has actually made some pretty awesome plays.

Let's just give the guy kudos for not only overcoming his past indescretions, but in the highly professional way he has done it. Considering the plethora of jerks in major league sports, I find it hard to believe that the majority of fans can't at least get behind him to see him succeed.
C M. Montero
1B AGonz
2B Uggla
3B Zimmermann
SS Jeter
OF J Upton, McCutcheon, Choo
Util Kendrys Morales
BN Pena
DL Gardner
SP Gallardo, Bumgarner, Latos, Zimmermann, Luebke, Jaime Garcia, Hughes, Burnett
RP League, Marshall, Betancourt
socceryank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Kingctb27 » Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:38 am

The Miner Part 2 wrote:gotta love new york fans...cheer giambi, boo jeter and rivera. ;-7

Yeah, really. 2 months ago they we're booing him like there was no tommarow. ;-7
Kingctb27
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Champion

Postby DannyMyron89 » Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:51 am

The Miner Part 2 wrote:gotta love new york fans...cheer giambi, boo jeter and rivera. ;-7

those werent yankee fans, they were rich snobs sitting in the expensive seets (coorporate assholes) when mo blew the saves early this year against boston, never will a real fan ever think of booing mo or jeter...

also like others said it was a great story about giambi comming back from a fall none of us can fathom, also the fact he was not a jerk about it like Bonds, and he always was good with the media and answered all questions thrown at him to the best he could... (the only reason he apologized for "nothing" was because of legal stuff, but it was clear he was apoligizing for juicing)

and its new york if you perform your loved, and if you cant take the heat, get out
how did colon win the cy young??

the world is comming to an end...woody paige has a Hall of Fame vote
DannyMyron89
College Coach
College Coach

Postby wrveres » Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:56 am

lol ...

They (fans) cheered for Phil Nevin when his name was announced in tonights lineup.

They gave him a standing ovation when he came up for his first AB ..

Now that he has grounded into a double play and left 5 men on base, the boos are out ... :-o

Its baseball ...
Its a fact of life ...

Oh yeah
The Yankees Suck

Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo O:-)
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

PreviousNext