gotta love new york fans...cheer giambi, boo jeter and rivera. ;-7
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby WharfRat » Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:57 pm

StudentOfTheGame wrote:
And he isn't terrible at first base, but he is below average.

Terrible or below-average, he still hurts the team when he's out in the field. I've seen way too many plays that a major leaguer normally would make look easy that Giambi will completely mess up.

I'm not saying you shouldn't cheer for him, but when he comes to bat, he gets a louder ovation than guys like G Sheff, A-rod. These are two guys 100 times the ballplayer that Giambi is.

How do you know? I'm skeptical of this, but I haven't made it to a game this year so I can't say.
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:58 pm

You expect great numbers from Arod or Sheff...all relative to expectation level. Giambi's expectation was so low, I think a lot of fans are happy we are just getting something useful at all. I know I am thrilled about it. I had him written off as a complete waste just a couple of months ago.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby WharfRat » Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:58 pm

The Miner Part 2 wrote:gotta love new york fans...cheer giambi, boo jeter and rivera. ;-7

No, we booed Giambi too. ;-D
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby StudentOfTheGame » Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:02 pm

How do you know? I'm skeptical of this, but I haven't made it to a game this year so I can't say.

He definantly got the best ovation today. I mean obviously he deserves it somewhat because he was great on the road trip, but I still have to wonder about that. :-? because you got A-rod(arguably the best baseball player in the AL), and Sheffield(a solid pro).
StudentOfTheGame
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Re: Question for Yankees fans

Postby MMoNeY24 » Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:04 pm

StudentOfTheGame wrote:I'm not trying to be critical of you guys, but just a general question. Why is it that NYY fans embrace Giambi so much? The guy admitted to cheating, and performed WAY under his contract for the last 2 seasons...Sure, he's having a stellar month, but how does this make up for last season and the start of this season, especially conscidering how much his contract costs the team.

I'm one of the few that never really hated Giambi at any point in time (he was my favorite player on Oakland), so I'd naturally be pulling for him no matter what.

StudentOfTheGame wrote:I'm not saying you shouldn't cheer for him, but when he comes to bat, he gets a louder ovation than guys like G Sheff, A-rod. These are two guys 100 times the ballplayer that Giambi is.

I can't really speak for anyone else, but I'd assume in the beginning of the season when he got cheers, it could have been for a confidence boost and a way to say, "as long as you produce, we won't be on your back." Basically giving him a second chance, where he could redeem himself. I don't know why now he'd get more cheers than A-Rod or Sheff, but he sure is playing to the level of them right now at the plate and as long as he does that, there's no reason for him to be not embraced.
MMoNeY24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Strasil42 » Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:05 pm

WharfRat wrote:
StudentOfTheGame wrote:
And he isn't terrible at first base, but he is below average.

Terrible or below-average, he still hurts the team when he's out in the field. I've seen way too many plays that a major leaguer normally would make look easy that Giambi will completely mess up.

I'm not saying you shouldn't cheer for him, but when he comes to bat, he gets a louder ovation than guys like G Sheff, A-rod. These are two guys 100 times the ballplayer that Giambi is.

I made it to four games in the stadium this year. Jeter,sheffield and Arod all got better ovations BY FAR than giambi in those games.
Strasil42
General Manager
General Manager

Postby StudentOfTheGame » Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:05 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:You expect great numbers from Arod or Sheff...all relative to expectation level. Giambi's expectation was so low, I think a lot of fans are happy we are just getting something useful at all. I know I am thrilled about it. I had him written off as a complete waste just a couple of months ago.

I know I'd be booing an 85M dollar player who you just hope to get something out of. That is just really strange to me.
StudentOfTheGame
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Octavian » Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:05 pm

StudentOfTheGame wrote:

He definantly got the best ovation today. I mean obviously he deserves it somewhat because he was great on the road trip, but I still have to wonder about that. :-? because you got A-rod(arguably the best baseball player in the AL), and Sheffield(a solid pro).

Wonder about what? Giambi is the hottest hitter in the bigs this month. Of course he's going to get ovations like that. 5 HR in his last 5 games and that's just recently. 3 multi HR games, two in a row... 12 in the month total... 19 RBI... a 1.536 OPS... and he's raised his average 33 points. He deserves those cheers. ;-D
Octavian
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:06 pm

StudentOfTheGame wrote:

Yeah but what Giambi is doing right now is equal to A-Rod hitting 2 or 3 homeruns a game. A-Rod is great, but he's supposed to be great. Giambi has shocked the world with what he's done, and after all the abuse he's taken from not only New York, but from the country, it's not only easier, but probably better to give him the standing ovations and show him that everyone is behind him, and show our appreciation of how hard he's worked. He could have just said, I've got all my money coming to me guarenteed, who cares if I suck, screw you guys. But he's doing his best to live up to his end of the bargain, and the Yankee fans respect that.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 116)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers