Question for Yankees fans - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Question for Yankees fans

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Question for Yankees fans

Postby StudentOfTheGame » Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:35 pm

I'm not trying to be critical of you guys, but just a general question. Why is it that NYY fans embrace Giambi so much? The guy admitted to cheating, and performed WAY under his contract for the last 2 seasons...Sure, he's having a stellar month, but how does this make up for last season and the start of this season, especially conscidering how much his contract costs the team.
StudentOfTheGame
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby StudentOfTheGame » Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:35 pm

Also, he's a terrible first baseman.
StudentOfTheGame
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Re: Question for Yankees fans

Postby Yoda » Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:36 pm

StudentOfTheGame wrote:I'm not trying to be critical of you guys, but just a general question. Why is it that NYY fans embrace Giambi so much? The guy admitted to cheating, and performed WAY under his contract for the last 2 seasons...Sure, he's having a stellar month, but how does this make up for last season and the start of this season, especially conscidering how much his contract costs the team.

The fact that he came pretty much clean about what he's done and apologizing on camera to the fans takes a lot of guts. I respect that much more than Barry who continues to cover up and deny using steroids.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby StudentOfTheGame » Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:40 pm

The fact that he came pretty much clean about what he's done and apologizing on camera to the fans takes a lot of guts. I respect that much more than Barry who continues to cover up and deny using steroids.

In his "apology" he didn't even admit exactly what he did.....It was a nice photo-op...But it didn't change my mind about him.
StudentOfTheGame
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby WharfRat » Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:48 pm

Well, I know I'll never really "embrace" the guy, because to me he'll always be a cheater. But that doesn't mean I can't pull for him now, because frankly it's making for a great story - guy cheats, falls from grace, and begins to prove he can do it without the juice.

So basically, I wouldn't mind at all if they cut his contract tomorrow. But if they can't, might as well make the best of it. If he does well, it's good for the team, and who doesn't want to see their team win. If he does poorly, then he's pulling the team down based not only on his on-field performance, but on the false pretenses that brought him to the Bronx in the first place.
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:49 pm

All relative. I would not say he is loved in NY either. He has to his credit come clean and not flax seed oiled or otherwise BS'ed about it. He pretty much keeps his trap shut. He has taken a lot of lumps in the press and handled it pretty well all things considered. Took it like a man and did not make excuses. Of course that 85 M he is still owed might have something to do with it.

He also relative to some other losers on the current team has not incurred the hard core fans wrath by openly costing us a WS or pennant with his crummy play or lack of guts. He is no Brown or Vazquez or Weaver or a few others I can think of. Whether that is fair or not since he was not playing and as such hurt the team in that respect is another matter. However you will not hear the name of Weaver or Brown mentioned at the Stadium without an explitive assoicated to it. That is not the case for Giambi.
Last edited by TheYanks04 on Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby WharfRat » Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:50 pm

StudentOfTheGame wrote:

In his "apology" he didn't even admit exactly what he did.....It was a nice photo-op...But it didn't change my mind about him.

He didn't out-and-out say it, so I guess that means nobody knew what he was talking about, or why the hell he was apologizing, right? ;-7
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Octavian » Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:50 pm

StudentOfTheGame wrote:I'm not trying to be critical of you guys, but just a general question. Why is it that NYY fans embrace Giambi so much? The guy admitted to cheating, and performed WAY under his contract for the last 2 seasons...Sure, he's having a stellar month, but how does this make up for last season and the start of this season, especially conscidering how much his contract costs the team.

What do you expect us to do? Not cheer for him as he comes back to form and pound the ball again, clean? He did what he could to apologize, yeah he avoided saying he used the roids... but you also have to remember the guy was dealing with Grand Juries and all sort of other legal matters and he was just doing what his lawyers told him to do, which was probably the smartest thing he could do. Jason isn't a bad guy, he's not an asshat like Barry, and he's obviously cleaned himself up and worked his butt off to start living up to his contract again. I, as a Yankee fan, applaud him for being honest when he needed to be, dropping the roids and becoming a good ballplayer again.

And he isn't terrible at first base, but he is below average.
Octavian
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:54 pm

WharfRat wrote:Well, I know I'll never really "embrace" the guy, because to me he'll always be a cheater. But that doesn't mean I can't pull for him now, because frankly it's making for a great story - guy cheats, falls from grace, and begins to prove he can do it without the juice.

So basically, I wouldn't mind at all if they cut his contract tomorrow. But if they can't, might as well make the best of it. If he does well, it's good for the team, and who doesn't want to see their team win. If he does poorly, then he's pulling the team down based not only on his on-field performance, but on the false pretenses that brought him to the Bronx in the first place.

That's just the way I feel about him as well.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby StudentOfTheGame » Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:56 pm

And he isn't terrible at first base, but he is below average.

Terrible or below-average, he still hurts the team when he's out in the field. I've seen way too many plays that a major leaguer normally would make look easy that Giambi will completely mess up.

I'm not saying you shouldn't cheer for him, but when he comes to bat, he gets a louder ovation than guys like G Sheff, A-rod. These are two guys 100 times the ballplayer that Giambi is.
StudentOfTheGame
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers