Nevin to start at Catcher tonight! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Nevin to start at Catcher tonight!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby mwb743s » Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:56 pm

He was just dropped in my league! Please noone else see this news til after waivers are up!
Remember "I" before "E", except in Budweiser
mwb743s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Al Hrabosky's Ballpark Saloon taking a leak in the urinal in front of the double sided mirror!

Postby bobby » Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:59 pm

After being forced to play catcher, maybe he'll re-think using his no trade clause... :-b
bobby
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:09 pm

Nevin's only played 100 games as a catcher, only 1 since 1999.

His CS% doesn't look horrible (27.6%)

But, both ESPN and Baseball Reference show him with 20 passed balls in 69 games in 1998. The MLB leaders right now have about 7 PB in 70 games. Steve Sparks, a knuckleballer, was on that team.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby Cleveland Steamers » Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:19 pm

So far, his stats this year would make him no more valuable than a middle tier catcher like Barrett and BMolina. I would assume his hitting would have a bit of a drop off while catching, theres alot to do and think about for a catcher. Im not assuming this will happen more than a couple times, but its not huge news in any event. He hasnt done much of anything this season.
Cleveland Steamers
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Everywhere...looking for a job in baseball...or fantasy sports...

Postby LionsandTigersOhMy » Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:34 pm

Rotoworld has it up also.
LionsandTigersOhMy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bellybrother » Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:54 pm

I just heard an interview with Towers and he said Hernandez had the mri, there was a small tear and he would get 2nd opinions in the next coupla days. Towers expects Hernandez to have surgery and said that even with Eaton's finger problem that now catcher was his main priority and hopefully Stauffer and Astacio could hold down the back end.
bellybrother
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:58 pm

Nevin missed some time. He has 9 hrs and 47 rbis in 71 games/274 Abs. that would translate to a 20 Hr/100 rbi C over a year. That is more rbis than any C currently has including Inge and Piazza who have played all year without missing time. 20 Hrs would likely outstrip all Cs but Varitek, AJ Pierz, Posada, VMart and Piazza with Barrett on about the same pace...meaning power wise he would become a top 7 C. If he ever got C eligibity he is clearly a top 10 C and probably a top 5.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby davidmarver » Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:00 pm

Hernandez is going to be out 6-8 weeks. Nevin is going to get catching duties against left-handers. That is straight from Bochy's mouth.

And WR...Nevin caught a game earlier in the year.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby DaQ » Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:13 pm

davidmarver wrote:Hernandez is going to be out 6-8 weeks. Nevin is going to get catching duties against left-handers. That is straight from Bochy's mouth.

And WR...Nevin caught a game earlier in the year.

And Hernandez is OFF the team! (in my keeper league). Considering he may go to the Mets next year, I probably won't keep him. :-/

Here's the irony - I literally just dropped Nevin a couple of days ago! :-?
DaQ
General Manager
General Manager

Postby davidmarver » Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:22 pm

I think Hernandez' injury solidifies Giles as the primary resigning for the Padres this offseason. Giles is always in there; cannot say the same about Ramon. I had always thought Giles should be the priority, but Ramon was a lot closer than he is now.

As for what catcher we should sign in the offseason...I really have no clue. Hopefully Kottaras is ready by then...he's a slugger ;-D .
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers