Where's Delmon get drafted for 2006 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Where's Delmon get drafted for 2006

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby pokerplaya » Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:33 am

mamorris wrote:
Cleveland Steamers wrote:Weeks doesnt have the upside Young has. Weeks busted out in the minors just this year. He should be a stud for many upcoming years. Young wasted no time, hitting in every level he has been placed. Young's upside is unlike any others in the minors. If he puts on a little more muscle, the guy could be an automatic 30/30 threat.

Very well put. Pretty much every prospect list I've seen, which take into account position scarcity, has him at #2 on their lists, behind Felix and well ahead of Weeks. Since they are real-life lists, you could bump Young up even further due to his steals. I'm sure Weeks will get drafted earlier than Young next year, but based on what Young's done in his minor league career, 20/20 seems quite possible right off the bat.

Pun intended?? :-D

In all seriousness, I agree with both of you. Delmon has th capability to be one heck of a player (as does Weeks, I suppose). However, don't be suprised if it is not instantaneous.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby raiders_umpire » Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:52 am

RAmst23 wrote:I didn't have time this morning to glance at more than two leagues, but who's drafting J. Jones in the 2nd? Jason Bay, Coco Crisp, Garret Anderson, Torii Hunter were all drafted in the 12th in the two leagues I checked. Yes, I would take them all over Delmon Young next year.

I think it would be generous to project a 20/20 season for this kid. Who knows how much he'll run at the major league level? Will he develop his major league power right away? Hit for average? Play full time? Way too many question marks para mi to want to draft him.

you seriously think that bay, GA, and hunter will be drafted in the 12th round next year.... i seriously dont think so......

some of the guys drafted in the 12th round in one of my 2 drafted leagues this year were kaz matsui, jaret wright, j affeldt, greg maddux, preston wilson, steve finley, brad wilkerson, and lew ford...... i do believe that i would take young next year over all of those "12th" rounders..... the other 4 guys taken in the 12th round were carpenter, baez, griffey and GA.....i will take them before young though....so yea i think young as a 12th rounder next year will be about right.... my leagues percentage on good or bad in the 12th round was 33% good, 67 % bust,,,,, so delmon is worth those percentages imo....

my other leagues 12th rounders were bj ryan, carpenter, torii hunter, phil nevin, odalis perez, bj upton, jose mesa, moises alou, khalil greene, matt morris, affeldt, and garcia..... at least of 6 of them have been "busts" and should be put below young next year if he is pretty much guaranteed playing time come next April.... those odds in this league are 50%,,, and i would still take my chances on young.......

this is all the drafted leagues i am in this year,,,,so this is all the data i have,,,, but with this data(even with it being a minute sample set) showing that around 50% of 12th rounders dont work out,,,, i will easily take a chance on young then.....
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby baseballnewb » Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:32 pm

Yes Weeks does have as much upside, his minor league coaches say they would not be surprised for him to put up a 40 HR, 30 SB year in the majors, they also say he has more power than Prince Fielder. Just because lists that are wrong 90% of the time list one over the other does not mean that much. They are both players that people mention Hall of Fame about before they even make it to the majors.

My point stands, Weeks would probably be 4th round at best and you would have to be a complete moron to pick Delmon over him at this point, especially when you take position eligibility into account.
Last edited by baseballnewb on Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
baseballnewb
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby pokerplaya » Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:36 pm

baseballnewb wrote:Yes Weeks does have as much upside, his minor league coaches say they would not be surprised for him to put up a 40 HR, 30 SB year in the majors, they also say he has more power than Prince Fielder. Just because lists that are wrong 90% of the time list one over the other does not mean that much. My point stands, Weeks would probably be 4th round at best and you would have to be a complete moron to pick Delmon over him at this point, especially when you take position eligibility into account.

Fair enough if you want Weeks over Delmon. That is your prerogative. However, are you advocating taking him in the 4th round? :-?
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby mdHARRIS » Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:40 pm

I am not sure Delmon goes before round 10 in a standard league. Although, if we're talking keeper league.....definitely sooner. As I said before, guys that can rake at any level have a great shot to do well in the majors. Delmon has done that and don't forget Weeks.......batted .473 in his collegiate career. Delmon is someone I'll target next year.
mdHARRIS
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Cleveland Steamers » Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:13 pm

Weeks will be drafted over Young simply because he has a guaranteed spot. He is an everyday starter and is 2 years older than Young. In two years, Young will be drafted as high as Weeks. Im not saying Weeks wont be a stud, because I really think he will. I just dont see Weeks being a 5 category fantasy stud like Young. Hype will begin as soon as Young is promoted. This should continue into the offseason. Dont be surprised to see him taken in the 11th-12th in redrafts and 8th-10th in keepers, if not higher. This is to say he has a starting positon going into next year.
Cleveland Steamers
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Everywhere...looking for a job in baseball...or fantasy sports...

Postby raiders_umpire » Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:41 pm

baseballnewb wrote:Yes Weeks does have as much upside, his minor league coaches say they would not be surprised for him to put up a 40 HR, 30 SB year in the majors, .

i dont have him anywhere near those numbers in the future.... i really cant see him having any more than about 20 homers in a season for his career high.... and i also disagree about the talent level between weeks and young...... i guess we will just have to see what the future holds......
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Cleveland Steamers » Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:02 pm

I never see Weeks hitting 40 but I think his bat speed may advocate 30 HR power for the future. He should get stronger in the next few years which may cut his speed a bit. I really think the guy has the ability to be a power hitter but not at the 2B position. If he plans on becoming a power threat, I wouldnt be surprised to see a move in position if he begins losing speed and gaining power. It never seems to work out for upcoming hitters at 2B or SS who end up getting strong and obtaining a large amount of power. Young definitely has more upside than Weeks, but Weeks is no slouch.
Cleveland Steamers
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Webster11 » Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:08 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:
baseballnewb wrote:Yes Weeks does have as much upside, his minor league coaches say they would not be surprised for him to put up a 40 HR, 30 SB year in the majors, .

i dont have him anywhere near those numbers in the future.... i really cant see him having any more than about 20 homers in a season for his career high.... and i also disagree about the talent level between weeks and young...... i guess we will just have to see what the future holds......

Not more than 20? Hes already hit 7 in 156 abs, which projects to 23 hrs in 500 abs and hes just a rookie. Scouts say his bat speed will lead to big home run numbers, some say 40. I see something more like 30-30 in a few years though.
Webster11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Cleveland Steamers » Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:10 pm

He looks like a young Gary Sheffield. He needs to add a little bulk and who knows what he is capable of. The same could be said for Young. If Young could gain like 15lbs of muscle in the offseason but keep his speed, he could have amazing power.
Cleveland Steamers
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers