Where's Delmon get drafted for 2006 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Where's Delmon get drafted for 2006

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Cleveland Steamers » Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:16 pm

I cant see how he would go undrafted in a league with 12 or more teams. The last picks in a 12 team league are pretty useless most of the time. I feel like the risk in Young isnt nearly as large as his amazing upside. I will be very surprised to see this guy undrafted in any league next year. Even 10 team leagues get a usual 230 players and there is always someone that looks for upside toward the end of hte draft.
Cleveland Steamers
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Everywhere...looking for a job in baseball...or fantasy sports...

Postby Philliebuster » Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:54 pm

Ok with all these responses saying that he would probably go in the late rounds 15ish, then answer me this......in a 12 team keeper league, each team keeping 6 players any position, would Delmon be a keeper on this league? Im asking, because I have him, and if I don't keep him, I should be able to get him relatively late in the draft, no?
Philliebuster
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:24 pm

Keeping 72, there is no way he is a keeper for 06. You would have to have one crummy team to have to take that type of risk.

I would think he will get picked in the effective 14 round + in a 12-team league. That is where you usually start to see speculators. How much further he would slip is dependent on how much he is hyped up pre-season.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby pokerplaya » Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:28 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:Keeping 72, there is no way he is a keeper for 06. You would have to have one crummy team to have to take that type of risk.

I would think he will get picked in the effective 14 round + in a 12-team league. That is where you usually start to see speculators. How much further he would slip is dependent on how much he is hyped up pre-season.

Agreed. You simply aren't keeping enough players to make him a factor. He hasn't played a major league game yet - all he is is hype. Wait until he proves himself on a major league level, it could take a year or two as many rookies have hiccups.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby Cleveland Steamers » Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:34 pm

Yeah, with 6 keepers he isnt worth keeper consideration since you could at least get him in the 11-12 round in next years draft. That is considering someone in your league will take him early with high hopes, it always happens and most likely will happen in your league as well. I dont think his value is that high as of now, but will be in the near future. Again, its all about the amount of risk a person is willing to take in order to get a chance to get a piece of his amazing upside.
Cleveland Steamers
General Manager
General Manager

Postby raiders_umpire » Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:35 am

Tavish wrote:I don't see him being drafted at all, at most a filler taken by a D-Ray fan. Although by the end of 2006 he will most likely be on a fantasy team in every league.

well i am a dray fan, so i may be biased,,,,but you are kidding me right????????? you would rather have a jacque jones as your 4th or 5th outfielder then have someone with youngs potential as your backup OF..... i will take delmon somewhere around round 12 or so in a 12 team league if it looks like he will start the year in tampa bay...
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby RAmst23 » Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:16 am

I didn't have time this morning to glance at more than two leagues, but who's drafting J. Jones in the 2nd? Jason Bay, Coco Crisp, Garret Anderson, Torii Hunter were all drafted in the 12th in the two leagues I checked. Yes, I would take them all over Delmon Young next year.

I think it would be generous to project a 20/20 season for this kid. Who knows how much he'll run at the major league level? Will he develop his major league power right away? Hit for average? Play full time? Way too many question marks para mi to want to draft him.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby baseballnewb » Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:20 am

Weeks has as much upside as Delmon, plays a weaker position, is on a better team and will have a lot more PT this year than Delmon and Weeks is at best a 4-5th round pick next year. Delmon should go around 15th round.
baseballnewb
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Cleveland Steamers » Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:09 am

Weeks doesnt have the upside Young has. Weeks busted out in the minors just this year. He should be a stud for many upcoming years. Young wasted no time, hitting in every level he has been placed. Young's upside is unlike any others in the minors. If he puts on a little more muscle, the guy could be an automatic 30/30 threat.
Cleveland Steamers
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mamorris » Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:25 am

Cleveland Steamers wrote:Weeks doesnt have the upside Young has. Weeks busted out in the minors just this year. He should be a stud for many upcoming years. Young wasted no time, hitting in every level he has been placed. Young's upside is unlike any others in the minors. If he puts on a little more muscle, the guy could be an automatic 30/30 threat.

Very well put. Pretty much every prospect list I've seen, which take into account position scarcity, has him at #2 on their lists, behind Felix and well ahead of Weeks. Since they are real-life lists, you could bump Young up even further due to his steals. I'm sure Weeks will get drafted earlier than Young next year, but based on what Young's done in his minor league career, 20/20 seems quite possible right off the bat.
mamorris
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers