Where's Delmon get drafted for 2006 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Where's Delmon get drafted for 2006

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Where's Delmon get drafted for 2006

Postby Philliebuster » Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:06 pm

Would anyone care to speculate on where Delmon Young gets drafted next year is a 4-5 or 5-6th round pick? What is your opinion. Say he gets called up in September and gets 80-100 AB's this season bats about .300 with 5 homers and 5 SB's, does this draft position change if he doesn't get called up this season? Opinions please.
Philliebuster
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby stumpak » Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:07 pm

It would be crazy to take him that high.

That said, if he puts up a 1.000 OPS in 70 ABs in September, there will be an idiot in most every league who will foolishly extrapolate that over a full season and and draft Delmon way higher than he should be taken. So yes, I think big success in September would make him tremendously overvalued.

I am eagerly awaiting Delmon Young hysteria in a few weeks. Pull up some of the posts on Upton from this time last year--some people practically had him in the Hall of Fame by now and he is still in AAA without a sniff of a big league starting job this season.
Last edited by stumpak on Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby pokerplaya » Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:10 pm

Unless he gets a ton of PT in September, is assured a starting job in April and absolutely tears the cover off the ball, he is nothing more than a later round flier at this point.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby LooseCannon » Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:21 pm

I would say that the average he is drafted in is like 20th round and that is if he plays well in Spetember if he even is brought up..I say I'll be picking him off of the FA because in the limited At-Bats you'll see from Delmon it will prove nothing to people....he's still a rookie that needs to improve if he comes to the bigs.

[url=http://www.mp3players4free.com/default.aspx?r=681536] www.mp3players4free.com[/url]
LooseCannon
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mustangs989 » Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:57 pm

Assuming he is assured of the starting OF job I would have no problem drafting him in the 13th-15th round of a redraft league. You aren't going to find many players with the kind of upside Young has that late in the draft. Drafting him in the 5th round is crazy though.
Mustangs989
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Cleveland Steamers » Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:16 pm

I would say I would look to take him in the 15th round next year if he is given a starting nod. If you compare his numbers from his first two years, he has quite a bit in common with some big name players. I think ill take the risk for his upside rather than draft a player like Trot Nixon or a newly named closer during the offseason.
Cleveland Steamers
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Everywhere...looking for a job in baseball...or fantasy sports...

Postby RAmst23 » Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:04 pm

You can't project Delmon anywhere near that high. Established players are still going in the 6th round, you don't want to use that pick on a rookie in his first full season. 13-15 round would probably be a little too high for me, but then again I hate drafting rookies, so eh.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Cleveland Steamers » Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:09 pm

Im not a fan of drafting rookies either but I havent seen upside like this in awhile. The guy is 5 tool player and has the possibility of putting up 30/30 seasons with regularity. I know its a chance I can, and will take rather than draft a possible closer in waiting like MGonzalez in the 15-16.
Cleveland Steamers
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Everywhere...looking for a job in baseball...or fantasy sports...

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:09 pm

with the loss ;-D of muhsim muhammed i see jake as a 12-16 ranked QB.
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Tavish » Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:11 pm

I don't see him being drafted at all, at most a filler taken by a D-Ray fan. Although by the end of 2006 he will most likely be on a fantasy team in every league.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 34)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers