Peavy - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Peavy

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Big Pimpin » Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:10 pm

I'm certainly not saying he's not a good (or great) pitcher and that I'm not a fan. I own him in a couple of leagues and was contemplating trying to pick him up in my main money league. From the responses I've gotten it sounds like the main thought is that he is just a young pitcher who's prone to getting knocked around from time to time, like any young pitcher, and that this recent stretch is nothing more than a bump in the road...
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby nuggets » Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:20 pm

He gives me a mild Josh Beckett like feeling. I Just don't like guys who don't pitch 200 innings a year. Yes he hasn't had many opportunities to but I'm paranoid about things like that. I was going to get him for my B. Roberts but took Sheets instead.
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Big Pimpin » Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:24 pm

Yeah I have to some work to do over the next couple months to drop my ERA and WHIP. I've got RJ, Sheets, Harden, Bedard, Patterson, and Bonderman, and I'm trying to land someone else to help. Basically wondering if Peavy was worth a look or not...
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)

Postby StudentOfTheGame » Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:28 pm

Yeah I have to some work to do over the next couple months to drop my ERA and WHIP. I've got RJ, Sheets, Harden, Bedard, Patterson, and Bonderman, and I'm trying to land someone else to help. Basically wondering if Peavy was worth a look or not....

Your staff sounds pretty good to me...Bonderman, Harden, Sheets are all studs. Bedard is solid too, and lets not forget RJ. That staff is one big K machine.....Id be happy if i were you.
StudentOfTheGame
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BuckeyeSal » Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:46 pm

He has had two serious illnesses this year. One that made him miss a week and another(strep) that he pitched through and pitched poorly. The only time I can think of that he has pitched poorly without some type of virus running through him was his last start against the Mets. I haven't looked but if he pitches out west against the D-backs, Dodgers, and Giants and takes Vitamin C all year he's going to put on a show. Mark my words.
BuckeyeSal
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 4)

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:35 pm

I'd rather have Oswalt right now than Peavy.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 837)

Postby Yoda » Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:44 pm

kingctb27 wrote:He's def. a buy low canidte right now. Try offering Oswalt for him ;-D

Why the hell would ANYONE trade Oswalt for Peavy?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby WharfRat » Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:57 pm

Yoda wrote:
kingctb27 wrote:He's def. a buy low canidte right now. Try offering Oswalt for him ;-D

Why the hell would ANYONE trade Oswalt for Peavy?

Pretty sure that was sarcasm.
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby davidmarver » Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:04 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:At least Oswalt has a track record... Maybe I just don't understand why everyone is so ga-ga over Peavy. He's had one good season plus a couple of good months this year. He's already given up as many HRs this year as he did last year.

Sure, he's only 24 and a great pitcher to have in a keeper, I won't argue that. But what makes him so valuable in a one year league? He's been nothing more than an average pitcher for the last two months.

He was sick with a virus and then strept throat. Against the Mets was his second legitimate bad start of the season without being sick.

And if a 1.05 WHIP and 135 K are average from a pitcher who missed a start then you are in a three player league max.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby mamorris » Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:21 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:In June and July he's 3-4 with a 5.10 ERA. Sure, K numbers are still there, and sometimes he's dazzling, but other times he gets lit up. He never had a stretch like this last year. Maybe he's not crashing like Dontrelle, but he still hasn't pitched up to expectations the last two months.

Sure, he's given up some runs recently, but as you mentioned the Ks are there, and the walks are still down. More than anything, I'd put it down to a stretch of bad luck in recent starts (which I'm sure you'd agree can happen to anyone). I'd give him a fairly comfortable edge over Oswalt for the rest of the season to be honest.
mamorris
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers