Peavy - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Peavy

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Peavy

Postby Big Pimpin » Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:25 pm

After a few starts where he's been roughed up, what are your thoughts on him for the rest of the year? Does he turn it around and start pitching like he was early in the year? Has he just hit a wall?

Seems like every other start or so over the past couple months he's given up at least 5 ERs. Is he a good buy-low candidate?
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Drunken Rhino » Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:32 pm

If by buy-low you mean offer a guy like Carlos Lee or Ichiro, sure.
Drunken Rhino
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Big Pimpin » Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:36 pm

In June and July he's 3-4 with a 5.10 ERA. Sure, K numbers are still there, and sometimes he's dazzling, but other times he gets lit up. He never had a stretch like this last year. Maybe he's not crashing like Dontrelle, but he still hasn't pitched up to expectations the last two months.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby benjapage » Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:36 pm

his recent starts follow the same pattern as ervin santana's. interesting. i have peavy...have been offered m-cab and z-duke for him and burrell.

my decline of the trade speaks toward my perception of peavy's high value, despite his up-n-downs.

b
yeah, yes...
benjapage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Drunken Rhino » Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:44 pm

So he's had a rocky month? Which pitcher in their career hasn't? I don't think you'll be able to "buy-low" on him at all. I know I won't deal him unless I'm overwhelmed by a deal.
Drunken Rhino
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Big Pimpin » Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:46 pm

He's had a rocky half of the season up to this point. That's all I'm saying. Great in April and May, not so great in June and July.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Kingctb27 » Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:54 pm

He's def. a buy low canidte right now. Try offering Oswalt for him ;-D
Kingctb27
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Champion

Postby Big Pimpin » Tue Jul 26, 2005 4:01 pm

At least Oswalt has a track record... Maybe I just don't understand why everyone is so ga-ga over Peavy. He's had one good season plus a couple of good months this year. He's already given up as many HRs this year as he did last year.

Sure, he's only 24 and a great pitcher to have in a keeper, I won't argue that. But what makes him so valuable in a one year league? He's been nothing more than an average pitcher for the last two months.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby The Loveable Losers » Tue Jul 26, 2005 4:45 pm

I haven't been able to find many 'average pitchers' that can give me a 3.42era, 1.05whip and 1.1k/ip while making almost every start. And that's figuring in some games where he got KILLED.

I took Peavy in the 6th round and he's been my best pitcher all year long...vastly outperforming RJ (who I took with the 12th pick overall) and Schmidt (who I actually managed to pick up as a FA in one league and drafted with the 18th pick overall in another).

He may have had a few bumps in the road but Peavy is for real. Just don't count on him for a lot of wins...the Padres offense hasn't been pretty lately.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby StudentOfTheGame » Tue Jul 26, 2005 4:59 pm

Peavy is a great competitor and has dazzling "stuff". However, I think he tires himself out early on in games. He rarely pitches deep into the later innings.

Sometimes it looks like Peavy is tired even in the 2-3rd inning. He complained earlier in the year of "dead arm" so its a little bit of a concern. All of this being said, when Peavy is healthy and rested, he is almost unhittable(see the dodger game).

I traded him in one of my leagues just before his latest 7 run implosion. I don't expect him to pitch like that the entire second half, but don't be suprised if you see outings like that from him every once in a while....But also know that somedays you'll get a start like this 8 IP, 0 ER, 13 SO
StudentOfTheGame
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers