MANNY WANTS OUT..... AGAIN - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

MANNY WANTS OUT..... AGAIN

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby daweasle » Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:09 pm

how about manny to the phils for wagner and thome?

red sox need a first baseman and a closer and the contracts could work them selves out in the end.

don't tell me the platoon of chavez and lofton is working out well for the phills and you can see howard is ready to take over 1B.

only problem is phils would be stuck needing someone to close games - but thye have a decent bullpen and at least 2 major league ready relievers I read about in earlier rumors for losing wagner.
daweasle
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 16)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby PhilliesPhan » Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:04 pm

daweasle wrote:how about manny to the phils for wagner and thome?

red sox need a first baseman and a closer and the contracts could work them selves out in the end.

don't tell me the platoon of chavez and lofton is working out well for the phills and you can see howard is ready to take over 1B.

only problem is phils would be stuck needing someone to close games - but thye have a decent bullpen and at least 2 major league ready relievers I read about in earlier rumors for losing wagner.

This was the trade I suggested yesterday...
PhilliesPhan wrote:Alright what about Manny & Hanley Ramirez for Wagner and Thome ;-)

The Phillies have Urbina to close and then could trade Rollins for a Starter maybe.
PhilliesPhan
College Coach
College Coach

Postby uucrook3d » Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:10 pm

you realize they just signed j-roll to a long term deal dont you. he isnt going anywhere.
uucrook3d
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby pokerplaya » Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:11 pm

nuggets wrote:

Manny being Manny
Jul 27 - According to the Providence Journal, Sports Illustrated reports that Manny Ramirez wants to leave Boston and has asked to be traded, citing in particular a desire to have more off-the-field privacy. A trade is unlikely since Ramirez still has more than three years remaining on his contract and makes an average of $20 million a season. Unless he is willing to eat at least half of the money, the Red Sox have little chance of moving him.

Manager Terry Francona disavowed any knowledge of Ramirez's reported request -- the third time in four years the slugger has made such a request. "I'm at a loss at that one," Francona told the newspaper. "I didn't see it, didn't know it, didn't hear it. You (media) guys have fun with it. It will have legs for a few days."

I really think this is all anyone needs to know. It says it like it is. Manny is a Red Sock and will be.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby Transmogrifier » Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:16 pm

Let's get back to reality here.

I'm not sure if this was mentioned, but just last week, Manny let photographers into his home to shoot his son's bedroom. This does not sound like a man upset by his lack of privacy.

I don't think Manny wants to be traded, and if he does, I think it's a passing fad with him. He's crazy; he's Manny.

And even if he did want to get traded, I don't see any team that will take that contract. The only deal that could have worked was tried.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby PhilliesPhan » Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:34 pm

uucrook3d wrote:you realize they just signed j-roll to a long term deal dont you. he isnt going anywhere.

There wasn't a no-trade clause to the best of my knowledge.
PhilliesPhan
College Coach
College Coach

Postby uucrook3d » Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:37 pm

PhilliesPhan wrote:
uucrook3d wrote:you realize they just signed j-roll to a long term deal dont you. he isnt going anywhere.

yeah but why sign someone to a long term deal pre-all star break just to deal him later in the year or the following off season?
uucrook3d
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby PhilliesPhan » Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:43 pm

uucrook3d wrote:
PhilliesPhan wrote:

yeah but why sign someone to a long term deal pre-all star break just to deal him later in the year or the following off season?

Because you get a top prospect in Hanley Ramirez and the ability to trade for a starting pitcher, along with another big time bat to go along with Abreu...all this while only giving up a closer that won't sign with you next year and a no longer needed 1st basemen.
PhilliesPhan
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Matthias » Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:45 pm

uucrook3d wrote:ok well this isnt fun anymore. after spending about an hour looking for possible suitors for manny. that contract is impossible. mathias.... sorry man, youre trumped. he might get traded but it is gonna be hard as all get out.

that's all right, man. before this whole contract nonsense started, i had one point i was trying to make and have been trying to make througout: the red sox would never trade manny ramirez unless they were getting an elite player in return. and something that got lost in the shuffle is that if the sox could unload manny and know *for a certainty* that they would be able to get another elite player with the money, then they would do it. the problem is that not many of those players exist, quite frankly. it's easy to say, "well, they could afford players X, Y, & Z for the money they pay manny." it's harder to actually get players X, Y, & Z into your clubhouse. if, for example, the sox offered to take vlade off of the angels' hands just for the offer of paying his salary, would the angels go along with it? not bloody likely. people talk about replacement players, but the reality is that very few of these players exist and it is awfully, awfully hard (or expensive) to get them onto your roster.

so i don't think the sox would unload manny for a bag full of baseballs just to get salary room; they would only do it under specific circumstances (when they tried to do it to get alex rodriguez, say). for them, manny's salary is not about the money: it's what the money can do for them.

and although the discussion got more than a little bit off track, i still think that's accurate. so this idea that tomorrow, the sox would trade manny straight-up for a mediocre player without an additional, immediate plan to add back the quality of manny? not going to happen. they'll only trade manny if, in the same transaction, or one that is already lined up, they will have replaced manny's elite skills. and i think i'll leave it at that.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Transmogrifier » Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:16 pm

Matthias wrote:
uucrook3d wrote:ok well this isnt fun anymore. after spending about an hour looking for possible suitors for manny. that contract is impossible. mathias.... sorry man, youre trumped. he might get traded but it is gonna be hard as all get out.

that's all right, man. before this whole contract nonsense started, i had one point i was trying to make and have been trying to make througout: the red sox would never trade manny ramirez unless they were getting an elite player in return. and something that got lost in the shuffle is that if the sox could unload manny and know *for a certainty* that they would be able to get another elite player with the money, then they would do it. the problem is that not many of those players exist, quite frankly. it's easy to say, "well, they could afford players X, Y, & Z for the money they pay manny." it's harder to actually get players X, Y, & Z into your clubhouse. if, for example, the sox offered to take vlade off of the angels' hands just for the offer of paying his salary, would the angels go along with it? not bloody likely. people talk about replacement players, but the reality is that very few of these players exist and it is awfully, awfully hard (or expensive) to get them onto your roster.

so i don't think the sox would unload manny for a bag full of baseballs just to get salary room; they would only do it under specific circumstances (when they tried to do it to get alex rodriguez, say). for them, manny's salary is not about the money: it's what the money can do for them.

and although the discussion got more than a little bit off track, i still think that's accurate. so this idea that tomorrow, the sox would trade manny straight-up for a mediocre player without an additional, immediate plan to add back the quality of manny? not going to happen. they'll only trade manny if, in the same transaction, or one that is already lined up, they will have replaced manny's elite skills. and i think i'll leave it at that.

Guys, not to go grammar police on you or anything, but it's near impossible to understand what you're saying if you don't know how to use the shift button. Please capitalize. My brain is overworked. :)
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers