MANNY WANTS OUT..... AGAIN - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

MANNY WANTS OUT..... AGAIN

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Yoda » Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:41 pm

Matthias wrote:
Yoda wrote:
Useless to argue further. The guy doesn't understand that no one in his right mind would ever consider trading a 22-23 year old prospects making $300k for a 32 year old with a $60M price tag.

The only way Manny will be traded is if another team is looking to dump salary. I'm pretty sure his contract is backloaded also which means in today's market, the chances of Manny going anywhere for anyone is zero to none unless the Sox decide to pay him to play for another team. But since he is still performing at a high level, it's probably best for them to keep him rather than get rid of him.


noone ever accused anybody in baseball, and particularly owners, and of those particularly george steinbrenner, of being in their right mind. look at the chuck knoblauch trade: at the time, the 33rd highest-paid player in baseball. and given up, some touted prospects who, have faded a bit, but did have their moments in the sun. far longer than knobbie did, anyways.

and you said it yourself, since manny's still performing at a high level, it's best for them to keep him. exactly. my. point. they're not going to dump him for some shmuck.

but his contract is not backloaded: it's frontloaded. his salary is going to go down. maybe i should stop posting to those who are ill-informed.


You are still missing the point. The Sox CAN'T trade him even if they wanted to due to his contract. That makes him worthless in the eyes of 29 other teams.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Postby Yoda » Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:56 pm

Matthias wrote:
look at the chuck knoblauch trade: at the time, the 33rd highest-paid player in baseball. and given up, some touted prospects who, have faded a bit, but did have their moments in the sun. far longer than knobbie did, anyways.



Every time you post, you dig yourself into a deeper hole. Did the Yankees overpay for Chuck? Yes. The players he was traded for: Buchanan, Milton, C.Guzman and Danny Mota. When did any of those players have their moments in the sun? At least the Yanks won a few WS with Chuck on the team.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Postby blankman » Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:03 pm

Yoda wrote:
Matthias wrote:
look at the chuck knoblauch trade: at the time, the 33rd highest-paid player in baseball. and given up, some touted prospects who, have faded a bit, but did have their moments in the sun. far longer than knobbie did, anyways.



Every time you post, you dig yourself into a deeper hole. Did the Yankees overpay for Chuck? Yes. The players he was traded for: Buchanan, Milton, C.Guzman and Danny Mota. When did any of those players have their moments in the sun? At least the Yanks won a few WS with Chuck on the team.


Why does that trade even matter? Its got nothing to do with the topic.

Comparing the 33rd highest player to the 3rd or 4th doesn't work.

The Sox couldn't get anything for Manny other than some salary relief; that and his production amount to him going nowhere.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Posts: 10770
Joined: 6 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby PhilliesPhan » Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:34 pm

Alright what about Manny & Hanley Ramirez for Wagner and Thome ;-)
PhilliesPhan
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 292
Joined: 4 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Philly

Postby Yoda » Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:20 pm

PhilliesPhan wrote:Alright what about Manny & Hanley Ramirez for Wagner and Thome ;-)


Red Sox would be stupid to do that.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Postby davidmarver » Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:24 pm

Manny for Nevin! We can afford Manny with Nevin gone and Hernandez gone this offseason. Wow would that be a great offensive spark; he's exactly what our offense needs. Now if only he can learn first-base and teach Nady to catch :-? .

EDIT: The Red Sox would probably pay 5-8 million of the salary to get rid of Manny. That's what...15 million left? That's Nevin and Hernandez there. Well worth it, in my opinion.
Image
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 6154
Joined: 11 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 5.5 Hole

Postby blackbearabroad » Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:20 pm

If the sox were willing to pick up part of Manny's contract, say 7mil per year, it could be possible to move him for other quality players. That being said hes not going anywhere. The guy might not be able to stand the local press but ever watch him on the feild with the goofy clueless look on his face :-?

he doesn't mind playing in boston, he just doesn't like spending time there B-)
blackbearabroad
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 156
Joined: 1 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Lancashire, UK

Postby Yoda » Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:41 am

davidmarver wrote:Manny for Nevin! We can afford Manny with Nevin gone and Hernandez gone this offseason. Wow would that be a great offensive spark; he's exactly what our offense needs. Now if only he can learn first-base and teach Nady to catch :-? .

EDIT: The Red Sox would probably pay 5-8 million of the salary to get rid of Manny. That's what...15 million left? That's Nevin and Hernandez there. Well worth it, in my opinion.


Yeah but that's just for one year and even then I don't see the Sox paying 7M for Manny to play elsewhere.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Postby uucrook3d » Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:21 am

ok, take this for what its worth, but steve phillips was on cold pizza giving possible manny trade scenerios. here are the three he came up with:

yanks get manny
sox get sheff anf gordon


dodgers get manny and bellhorn
sox get kent, odalis and werth


mets get manny
giants get zambrano
cubs get flloyd
drays get patterson
sox get alfonzo, rusch, baez and cameron

i doubt any of these are very likely and the last one is a joke but i think he was showing that a deal for manny is possible to do. also, after phillips was done with his segment woddy paige said he knew why he wasnt a gm anymore. ZING!!!
uucrook3d
Major League Manager
Major League Manager


Posts: 1552
Joined: 17 Jul 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: ESPN Radio in Nashville

Postby Yoda » Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:24 am

uucrook3d wrote:ok, take this for what its worth, but steve phillips was on cold pizza giving possible manny trade scenerios. here are the three he came up with:

yanks get manny
sox get sheff anf gordon


dodgers get manny and bellhorn
sox get kent, odalis and werth


mets get manny
giants get zambrano
cubs get flloyd
drays get patterson
sox get alfonzo, rusch, baez and cameron

i doubt any of these are very likely and the last one is a joke but i think he was showing that a deal for manny is possible to do. also, after phillips was done with his segment woddy paige said he knew why he wasnt a gm anymore. ZING!!!


pretty much sums it up.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

cron
Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact