College football fans. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

College football fans.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Phatferd » Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:22 pm

I don't need to convince you, USC convinced the world at the Orange Bowl.

White 15 carries for 115 yds. Bush 5 for 75 yds.

Peterson 25 for 82.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mustangs989 » Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:24 pm

Wow I'm really late on this thread, didn't see it somehow. Anyways as a huge CF fan (I follow it more than I do baseball 8-o )I have a few things to say about stuff that has been talked about in this thread.

slomo007 wrote:One thing I'm confident of: Adrian Peterson will win the Heisman.

I know your an OU homer slomo but I really don't see this happening. Not because he doesn't have the talent because he sure as hell does, but he loses a ton of his protection on offense. They lose their Heisman winning QB, 3 top WR, and 3 of their OL. Yes Bomar(I think he's starting) is talented as are the WR, but I can almost guarantee you opposing teams will be putting 8 in the box to try and stop AD. Also a sophmore has never won a heisman trophy, another thing going against him.

As for the whole USC/OU argument...yes USC is slightly overrated going into this season with almost everyone saying they will 3 peat. I for one don't think they will, even though the Pac-10 is relatively weak compared to the other major conferences (excluding the Big East). In the championship USC just outplayed OU, I'm not going to say OU rolled over and died after the fumble but it sure didn't help their confidence.

As for my team, as some of you know that is the Iowa Hawkeyes. After 3 straight #8 finishes the Hawkeyes are finally starting to get some preseason publicity. I'm not sure whether that's a good thing or bad, they've always flourished on being the underdog. Their biggest question mark is their defensive line. They don't return anyone from their Dline although the players who will be filling in (Iwebema,Mattison,Kroul,Wilcox) are all very talented just unexperienced. Their strong point would have to be their LB's who IMO are the best in the nation. Hodge and Greenway are both projected 1st rounders next year in the NFL draft. Not many people know about Ernie Sims but I think he'll be a very solid LB this year. The offense is led by Big 10 POY QB Drew Tate. Even without a running game last year he was a great leader and made big plays when he had to. Hinkel and Solomon both return at WR to give him someone to throw to. After the top 4 RB's were out with injury last year the running game was ranked close to dead last in the NCAA. Provided they are healthy this year Simmons and Young should provide the Hawkeyes with a solid running game to complement Tate.

Anyways my prediction for the Hawkeyes is 10-1. Their 3 biggest games are @Ohio St, @Purdue and home against Michigan. I expect them to lose one of those games, probably Ohio St. as they have been known to struggle in the beginning of the year. Anyways should be an interesting year.
Mustangs989
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby raiders_umpire » Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:03 pm

my college football team is ???? who else the Heels...... i am hopeful for a 6-7 win season considering we have one of the 10 toughest schedules in football this year....
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby slomo007 » Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:18 pm

Mustangs989 wrote:Wow I'm really late on this thread, didn't see it somehow. Anyways as a huge CF fan (I follow it more than I do baseball 8-o )I have a few things to say about stuff that has been talked about in this thread.

slomo007 wrote:One thing I'm confident of: Adrian Peterson will win the Heisman.

I know your an OU homer slomo but I really don't see this happening. Not because he doesn't have the talent because he sure as hell does, but he loses a ton of his protection on offense. They lose their Heisman winning QB, 3 top WR, and 3 of their OL. Yes Bomar(I think he's starting) is talented as are the WR, but I can almost guarantee you opposing teams will be putting 8 in the box to try and stop AD. Also a sophmore has never won a heisman trophy, another thing going against him.

As for the whole USC/OU argument...yes USC is slightly overrated going into this season with almost everyone saying they will 3 peat. I for one don't think they will, even though the Pac-10 is relatively weak compared to the other major conferences (excluding the Big East). In the championship USC just outplayed OU, I'm not going to say OU rolled over and died after the fumble but it sure didn't help their confidence.

Peterson will win the Heisman, barring injury of course.

Here's the deal with our offense....Runnels (FB) is back, our OL is still very strong...and our QB will be MUCH more mobile, assuming either Bomar or Paul Thompson wins the job. The starting job is still completely up in the air from all that I've read/heard. The decision will be made within the next few weeks. But regardless, Bomar and Thompson will both be so much more mobile than Jason White, that it will not allow defenses to put 8 in the box at all times (hello, bootlegs). Sure, AD is much more threatening than Paul Thompson's bootleg.....but, after a few deep bombs or broken 20 yard QB runs, I think the 8 men in the box will slowly turn to 6 or 7 men, at which point AD will run. Our offense will definitely not disappoint this year, I'm not even worried about it.

I am however, worried about our secondary. Hopefully the young players will step up.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Box » Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:27 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:my college football team is ???? who else the Heels...... i am hopeful for a 6-7 win season considering we have one of the 10 toughest schedules in football this year....

You guys did great with the toughest sched in the country last season...but most of those wins were solely on Durant's shoulders. Who do you have coming up to take over?
Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Kingctb27 » Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:55 am

Phatferd wrote:
slomo007 wrote:
Phatferd wrote:My first post on here I said I think they can lose 1 game..which probably means they won't win it...How about we make the bet, if OU wins it all I will sport one...If USC wins it all, you sport one...

The strange thing is I'm going to ASU and am and always will be a USC guy.

OK, but if I had to guess, I don't think either USC or OU will win it all. Obviously I hope OU does, but I'm afraid our secondary will not be ready for the NC yet, give them another year. I'm hoping for the best, but I also know when to be realistic.

But yeah, I'll take the bet simply because of my confidence that USC will NOT win the NC this year.

I don't have the most confidence that they will either...They lost almost their entire defense, but their offense is the best in the nation so no need to have a great D. I think there are 5 teams that can really win it all this year and USC and OU are in this mix. It's a tossup too many things can happen. Lienart or Bush can get hurt and so on.

USC's offense is scary good. Lienart, Bush, White, Smith, Jarrett, Turner and get used to hearing this name...........Whitney Lewis He will be a gamebreaker at WR.

Have you heard anything about Patrick Turner out there in LA? He was the #2 player over all in High School last year and was the # 1 Wr. Get this, he passes up the chance to play in his home state Tennessee and play with Eric Ainge for at least 2 years to go to none other than USC. ;-7

Here is his profile on Rivals. He is a very, very tall Wr that we could be hearing about in End Zones all across the Nation.

http://rivals100.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=22344
Kingctb27
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Champion

Postby Phatferd » Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:50 am

I know about Turner...Lewis will be better. No doubt in my mind. Turner will be great, but Lewis is a freak of nature.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby daullaz » Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:19 am

U of Texas.

10 wins, 2nd in Big XII, Holiday Bowl victory.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 56)

Postby Box » Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:40 am

daullaz wrote:U of Texas.

10 wins, 2nd in Big XII, Holiday Bowl victory.

Wow, I think you're the only UT fan I've met who doesn't think you guys are going to the Rose Bowl. Scared of OU? ;-D
Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby raiders_umpire » Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:21 am

Box wrote:
raiders_umpire wrote:my college football team is ???? who else the Heels...... i am hopeful for a 6-7 win season considering we have one of the 10 toughest schedules in football this year....

You guys did great with the toughest sched in the country last season...but most of those wins were solely on Durant's shoulders. Who do you have coming up to take over?

Brad Baker,,,, a 6 foot 3 inch, 220 lb... senoir should be the starter this year,,,, he played a little last year in the virginia game and looked impressive... he throws a great deep ball, and is beloved by his teammates....

Cameron Sexton is the freshman QB that will probably take over in 2006 from baker... he was a top 5 recruit at the QB position this past year,, he has ankle surgery this past March, but is looking very competitive so far during summer practice,,,even though he is not 100% healed from the broken ankle.....

now neither of these will replace what durant brought us,,, but both should be competent enough to keep us in the game,, and hope our defense and running game and kicking game can win the game for us....
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk