Best Ever - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Best Ever

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby citti34 » Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:44 pm

Alexander Wright was the WR coach at the college I went to, and he played at Auburn/Oakland Raiders with Bo Jackson. Alexander Wright won the NFLs fastest man contest and also ran an unofficial 3.9 40 yard dash one time. Wright told me that Bo was a stallion and one of the fasted men he had ever seen.
citti34
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AT » Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:46 pm

Lance used to represent in Triathlons as well. Just because he doesn't play ball sports doesn't make him less of an athlete. Same way that just because ball sport athletes don't compete in track events doesn't make them less of an athlete. Yes, it may be the case that ball athletes can more likely compete in track sports than track sport athletes can compete in ball sports, however there are cases that prove both sides to be possible.
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Postby nuggets » Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:14 pm

Atrophying Testicles wrote:Lance used to represent in Triathlons as well. Just because he doesn't play ball sports doesn't make him less of an athlete. Same way that just because ball sport athletes don't compete in track events doesn't make them less of an athlete. Yes, it may be the case that ball athletes can more likely compete in track sports than track sport athletes can compete in ball sports, however there are cases that prove both sides to be possible.

And that's what makes Jim Thorpe the greatest all around athlete, with Dan Gable as the greatest single sport athlete, which makes room for the greatest team athlete, Michael Jordan. Although, if both hitting a golf ball and hitting a baseball are truly the hardest things to do consistently in sports history, it makes me wonder if guys like Ted Williams, Ty Cobb, Tiger Woods or Jack Nicklaus aren't the greatest ever :-?
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:24 pm

To me it depends on what someone considers to be the most "athletic" and/or what is the toughest athletic "skill" to have and/or master.

Speed is a skill. So is endurance. So are jumping ability, strength, and hand/eye coordination, just as examples.

So what makes the best athlete? Someone who is the best in the "toughest" skill? Or someone who is well-rounded in most or all of them?

Arguments can be made on both sides of that debate. Bo Jackson may have had speed, strength, jumping ability and even some hand/eye coordination, but I'd bet the ranch that Lance could have beaten him in any endurance event. Does that make Lance the better athlete? I'll leave that debate to others.

But, in my opinion, Lance is the greatest endurance athlete of his generation - and it isn't close. Does that make him the best athlete? I don't know. But I know he belongs in the debate.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby Phatferd » Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:27 pm

Yoda wrote:
nuggets wrote:
J35J wrote:Ohh ok I will say it.......... Just because Armstrong can cycle faster and farther than anyone doesn't make him an athlete!!! It makes him the best ENDURANCE competetor ever!! Riding a bike doesn't take a great athlete to do. My 4 year old son can ride a mean bike but he can't do it for a million miles, that takes endurance!! Don't get me wrong I love Armstrong and everything he is about but to say a guy who rides a bike is the greatest athlete or to even be mentioned with the greats is a little silly. I don't know, he may be a good athlete but he isn't a good athlete because he can ride a bike a long distance!!

Before the nut job, he was one of the best sprinters too. And yes 7 Tours does get your name on the list. Sounds like someone has never tried to ride thier fat but up a steep hill at high elevation for more than a few minutes.

How is Lance Armstrong NOT an athlete? He is by far the most dominant athlete in history at his sport. He won the highest competition 7 years in a row. That's like winning the MVP 7 years in a row.

If thats the case then you should believe that Gretzky is the best ever because he won 9 MVPs in a row...

I agree though with you that Lance is very much an athlete and maybe the greatest, but I just wanted to point out that Gretzky won 9 MVPs in a row.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Yoda » Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:55 pm

Phatferd wrote:
Yoda wrote:
nuggets wrote:
J35J wrote:Ohh ok I will say it.......... Just because Armstrong can cycle faster and farther than anyone doesn't make him an athlete!!! It makes him the best ENDURANCE competetor ever!! Riding a bike doesn't take a great athlete to do. My 4 year old son can ride a mean bike but he can't do it for a million miles, that takes endurance!! Don't get me wrong I love Armstrong and everything he is about but to say a guy who rides a bike is the greatest athlete or to even be mentioned with the greats is a little silly. I don't know, he may be a good athlete but he isn't a good athlete because he can ride a bike a long distance!!

Before the nut job, he was one of the best sprinters too. And yes 7 Tours does get your name on the list. Sounds like someone has never tried to ride thier fat but up a steep hill at high elevation for more than a few minutes.

How is Lance Armstrong NOT an athlete? He is by far the most dominant athlete in history at his sport. He won the highest competition 7 years in a row. That's like winning the MVP 7 years in a row.

If thats the case then you should believe that Gretzky is the best ever because he won 9 MVPs in a row...

I agree though with you that Lance is very much an athlete and maybe the greatest, but I just wanted to point out that Gretzky won 9 MVPs in a row.

I think that Gretzky does come very close in terms of one athlete dominating a sport. The only other athletes even close are probably Jordan and Tiger (if he continues his pace).
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Drunken Rhino » Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:56 pm

That's part of the debate. Does most dominating in your sport qualify you as Greatest Athlete Ever?

I say no b/c it makes you too one dimensional when compared to other athletes like a Jim Brown, Jim Thorpe, Bo Jackson.
Drunken Rhino
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby d18Mike » Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:01 pm

ESPN wrote a story rating the degree of athletic difficulty of the mainstream sports. Here it is, for what it's worth.

Top 10 Most Difficult Sports (with overall total scores in parenthesis):

1. Boxing (72.37)
2. Ice Hockey (71.75)
3. Football (68.37)
4. Basketball (67.87)
5. Wrestling (63.50)
6. Martial Arts (63.37)
7. Tennis (62.75)
8. Gymnastics (62.50)
9. Baseball/Softball (62.25)
10. Soccer (61.50)

The Bottom 5…
56. Curling (27.50)
57. Bowling (25.38)
58. Shooting (24.88)
59. Billiards (21.50)
60. Fishing (14.50)

Full List/ Grid

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/sportSkills

ESPN TOP 10 ATHLETES
10. Lou Gehrig
9. Gordie Howe
8. Michael Jordan
7. Jackie Robinson
6. Rafer Johnson
5. Wilt Chamberlain
4. Bo Jackson
3. Dave Winfield
2. Jim Thorpe
1.Jim Brown
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Kingctb27 » Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:04 pm

Bo is probably the best Athlete ever. But, I think when it's all said and done that LeBron James will be in this conversation as well.
Kingctb27
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Champion

Postby nuggets » Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:11 pm

The fact that I am the only one to mention Dan Gable shows the shallowness of this thread so far. Boxers have it easy compared to College and Olympic level wresters. Most ESPN content should be banned.

On the other hand, I have experienced nothing more difficult than playing a PGA level course with the goal of par in mind.
Last edited by nuggets on Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers