Best Ever - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Best Ever

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby AT » Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:09 pm

citti34 wrote:Derrek Lee could have played basketball for UNC and he decided not to. John Elway was drafted by the Yanks (I think). Bo Jackson is the greatest athlete ever. 240 lbs and running a 4.3 40 yard dash is just gross. Most pro athletes played more than one sport.

What's even grosser is that I think he was clocked at 4.15 when he was at Auburn. I agree, Bo Jackson is the best athlete I've ever seen. Obviously I can't comment on the old schoolers like Thorpe and Jim Brown. My father always said Jim Brown was the best athlete he ever saw and my grandfather says Red Grange was the best athlete he ever saw. The galloping ghost!
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Box » Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:09 pm

Fool42 wrote:It is for sure a tough thing to debate. Mike Vick is a great athelete for example. If he chose a sport other than football he very well could've been a star in that sport as well but maybe he didn't have the interest in other sports or he just loved football so much that he never gave them a try.

He was drafted out of HS by the Rockies(I think) to play OF. Can you imagine him swiping bases? Freak.

That reminds me, I loved that Nike commercial that had all the athletes playing sports different than their own. (i.e. Vick playing for the Avalanche) Bring it back!
Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby tomahawk » Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:11 pm

Within the last 50 years or so I'd have to go with either Bo Jackson or Deion Sanders. Both of those guys were SICK multi-athletes that just made your jaw drop when they were on the field.
tomahawk
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby nuggets » Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:12 pm

In my humble opinion,

The reason guys like Vick and Dieon don't make the cut is because (say this with an Arnold accent) they are skinny little weenie men who get injured like leettle girls.

Bo the Jackson does make it either because of injury.

I look at this like the hall looks at longevity. To truly be the greatest athlete only a freakish injury, unlike Bo's hip, can keep you in the running without producing over a long period of time.

Dan Gable.
Last edited by nuggets on Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Postby nuggets » Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:14 pm

Atrophying Testicles wrote:
citti34 wrote:Derrek Lee could have played basketball for UNC and he decided not to. John Elway was drafted by the Yanks (I think). Bo Jackson is the greatest athlete ever. 240 lbs and running a 4.3 40 yard dash is just gross. Most pro athletes played more than one sport.

What's even grosser is that I think he was clocked at 4.15 when he was at Auburn. I agree, Bo Jackson is the best athlete I've ever seen. Obviously I can't comment on the old schoolers like Thorpe and Jim Brown. My father always said Jim Brown was the best athlete he ever saw and my grandfather says Red Grange was the best athlete he ever saw. The galloping ghost!

There is a 0.2 margin of error for 40 times and college times rarely match up with NFL clocked times.
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Yoda » Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:17 pm

Mo Vaughn was the greatest athlete. EVER.

You should've seen him flash his leather. As quick as a cow walking through mud.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby J35J » Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:24 pm

Ohh ok I will say it.......... Just because Armstrong can cycle faster and farther than anyone doesn't make him an athlete!!! It makes him the best ENDURANCE competetor ever!! Riding a bike doesn't take a great athlete to do. My 4 year old son can ride a mean bike but he can't do it for a million miles, that takes endurance!! Don't get me wrong I love Armstrong and everything he is about but to say a guy who rides a bike is the greatest athlete or to even be mentioned with the greats is a little silly. I don't know, he may be a good athlete but he isn't a good athlete because he can ride a bike a long distance!!
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 390)

Postby nuggets » Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:27 pm

J35J wrote:Ohh ok I will say it.......... Just because Armstrong can cycle faster and farther than anyone doesn't make him an athlete!!! It makes him the best ENDURANCE competetor ever!! Riding a bike doesn't take a great athlete to do. My 4 year old son can ride a mean bike but he can't do it for a million miles, that takes endurance!! Don't get me wrong I love Armstrong and everything he is about but to say a guy who rides a bike is the greatest athlete or to even be mentioned with the greats is a little silly. I don't know, he may be a good athlete but he isn't a good athlete because he can ride a bike a long distance!!

Before the nut job, he was one of the best sprinters too. And yes 7 Tours does get your name on the list. Sounds like someone has never tried to ride thier fat but up a steep hill at high elevation for more than a few minutes.
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Drunken Rhino » Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:29 pm

Hey now, let's not get off topic... This wasn't about Lance.
Drunken Rhino
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:43 pm

nuggets wrote:
J35J wrote:Ohh ok I will say it.......... Just because Armstrong can cycle faster and farther than anyone doesn't make him an athlete!!! It makes him the best ENDURANCE competetor ever!! Riding a bike doesn't take a great athlete to do. My 4 year old son can ride a mean bike but he can't do it for a million miles, that takes endurance!! Don't get me wrong I love Armstrong and everything he is about but to say a guy who rides a bike is the greatest athlete or to even be mentioned with the greats is a little silly. I don't know, he may be a good athlete but he isn't a good athlete because he can ride a bike a long distance!!

Before the nut job, he was one of the best sprinters too. And yes 7 Tours does get your name on the list. Sounds like someone has never tried to ride thier fat but up a steep hill at high elevation for more than a few minutes.

How is Lance Armstrong NOT an athlete? He is by far the most dominant athlete in history at his sport. He won the highest competition 7 years in a row. That's like winning the MVP 7 years in a row.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers