I love Jose Guillen - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

I love Jose Guillen

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Phatferd » Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:20 pm

Atrophying Testicles wrote:It makes me like him more that he yelled at his pitchers for not hitting other batters in retaliation. That's good stuff ;-D

LOL...

When it doesn't help the team and hurts the team in that game, it's not worth it. You have to put the team first.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby nuggets » Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:22 pm

Phatferd wrote:He's not a team player. I was at the game last year that lead to him being kicked off the Angels. It was a tie game and he was on 1st with I believe 1 out. They took him out to bring in a pinch runner with speed. He wouldn't get off the bag because he was pissed. He finally gets off and walks to the back of the dugout away from the coaches, but he throws his helmet in Scoscias direction....

Earlier in the year he was yelling at pitchers for not hitting other batters when he gets hit.

Total punk. :-t :-t :-t

Sounds like a top level competitor to me. Just wants to win and expects everyone to be on the same level. Socia has proven he has problems too to I don't put full blame on either side of the Socia/Guillen rift.
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Postby nuggets » Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:24 pm

Phatferd wrote:
Atrophying Testicles wrote:It makes me like him more that he yelled at his pitchers for not hitting other batters in retaliation. That's good stuff ;-D

LOL...

When it doesn't help the team and hurts the team in that game, it's not worth it. You have to put the team first.

You can't argue the importance of protecting your better players. If you don't show any balls out there people, other teams will feed on that weekness. This has been proven and known in baseball since the begining.
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Postby OREO fan » Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:36 pm

nuggets wrote:
Phatferd wrote:

LOL...

You can't argue the importance of protecting your better players. If you don't show any balls out there people, other teams will feed on that weekness. This has been proven and known in baseball since the begining.

please show me a case where beaning a guy on purpose has helped one's team (assuming of course you are not using it just as an intentional walk for the other team's best player)

IMO intentionally throwing at somebody is a pointless, cowardly move that should be completely eradicated from the game
OREO fan
College Coach
College Coach

Postby AT » Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:43 pm

When Boston beaned ARod last season and ARod got into a fight with Varitek that led to a bench clearing brawl last season it started a huge run for Boston. I don't think it would be out of the realm of possibility for something like that to spark a club. I think you can find a picture of Jose Guillen in the dictionary under "Sparkplug".
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Postby OREO fan » Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:52 pm

Atrophying Testicles wrote:When Boston beaned ARod last season and ARod got into a fight with Varitek that led to a bench clearing brawl last season it started a huge run for Boston. I don't think it would be out of the realm of possibility for something like that to spark a club. I think you can find a picture of Jose Guillen in the dictionary under "Sparkplug".

i am not sure what sparked the red sox turnaround last year - but if you had to pinpoint it on something, my guess is that it had more to do with the dramatic home run by mueller off mariano to win the game (was it the same game? i forget) - not some stupid brawl caused by the beaning - by the way i hate varitek for that brawl as well - what a joke, he attacks a guy first with his helmet on and is hailed as a hero

but i know what you mean about the original intent of the post - i have guillen on my squad and love him as a fantasy player - this guy will play through anything - breath of fresh air from the mike sweeneys of my team

i dont know the man but from all of his outbursts, he definitely comes off as a temperamental jerk
OREO fan
College Coach
College Coach

Postby WharfRat » Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:15 pm

I don't think there's really a right or wrong opinion on this guy - he's both a hardcore warrior and a selfish punk. It just depends on where you catch him. He's a team leader for the Nats, which has been a really nice surprise. But just when we all thought he was in order, he flips out during the Anaheim series. I think he's just passionate, and sometimes it allows his temper to get the best of him. I definitely don't put him in the same category as Sheffield. Guillen is the MAN. ;-D
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Phatferd » Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:18 pm

Give me a break...

Dude has played on what 8 teams in 9 years? He is so loved for his competitive nature on all those teams. All of that rage and emotion is pure determination to win. Give me a @*#(@!&* break. There is a reason he can't stay on 1 team.

Scoscia has problems? It's called Jose Guillen. His only 2 blowups have to do with this one punk. All of the players love Scosscia, the Angels clubhouse is one of the best around.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ChoneJohn » Tue Jul 26, 2005 4:11 pm

I think you can find a picture of Jose Guillen in the dictionary under "Sparkplug".

I think you can find a picture of Guillen under "Bitch" as well.
Go Tigers!
ChoneJohn
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Jury » Tue Jul 26, 2005 4:38 pm

ChoneJohn wrote:
I think you can find a picture of Jose Guillen in the dictionary under "Sparkplug".

I think you can find a picture of Guillen under "Bitch" as well.

Oh really? I found him under "selfish."
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers