What Ryan Freel Can Do For You .... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What Ryan Freel Can Do For You ....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What Ryan Freel Can Do For You ....

Postby d18Mike » Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:43 am

Was hoping to trade for Podsednick to make up some ground in a tightly backed SB race in my league. A few extra bags could mean +- 4 points. The owner want a fortune for Pods. And rightly so, perhaps. But I started to look at Freel who can be had far cheaper than Pods. And I'd guess that's true in many leagues?

Apologies to those of you who know this, but I found it interesting when I started to pull the numbers.

If you look at Freel and Posednick, take their HIT+BB-ExtraBHs/ ASBs

Freel has an ASB every 2.21 times he's on first. And he had/has a bad toe. CS every 3.8 times.

Pods runs every about every 1.8 times he's on first. CS every 4.25 times.

Freel has a .409 OPB compared to Pods .368

So not a lot of difference, provided Freel plays every day.

And let's not forget position eligibility.

What am I missing here?

(I took some shortcuts on the numbers by assuming SBs from scoring position would be a wash).
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mcqfesijiba » Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:52 am

Thing that bugs me about Freel is that since his return from injury the Reds seem to be resting him too often in favor of the great Rich Aurilia (yeah, that's sarcasm). Hopefully it's just temporary.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Dice » Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:47 am

If he comes off the bench a lot, he must pinch run a bit. That would skew his Attempted stolen base ratio per time one base stat upward.
Dice
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Simulacrum » Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:48 am

I would rather have a full-time playing Freel on my team than Podsednik. But Freel sits a LOT. He plays in about every other game, it's ridiculous. However, if you can snag him for cheap and you have the time to check lineups and sit him if he's not playing, as well as have a servicable back up I'd still go for him. ;-D
2008 Cafeholics Pond Scum Champion
Future Champion of 2009 Cafeholics Masters
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Postby Secret Avatar » Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:13 pm

Freel is one of the most frustrating players in fantasy. If you projected his stats to a full season of at-bats, he'd be one of the most valuable players in fantasy, with a solid BA and absolutely killer runs and steals. Unfortunately, and for reasons that are a mystery to me, he plays only about half to 2/3 of the games even when healthy. Now he's been injured, so who knows?

I had him on my team for a while an loved his potential, but I got tired of watching him sit the bench, so I dropped him when he went on the DL.
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby d18Mike » Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:07 am

I guess going after Freel was a good idea after all -- capatpulted my team two places in SB one night.

His 5 SBs last night were a club record for one game.

Nice! ;-D
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bdrotoronto » Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:01 am

If Ryan Freel played every day he would be more valuable than Podsednik. Just about every time he gets on base he runs. Good AVG, R, and SB, and plays at several difficult-to-fill positions. The only thing that hurts his value is he doesn't play every day, and there is no rhyme or reason to which games he sits.

But when he plays he is a machine!! 8-o ;-D
bdrotoronto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby rlee » Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:58 am

He was on waivers in one of my leagues and I picked him up 3 days ago ... but had him on the bench last night :-{

But I benched Huff, put Matsui in OF and put Freel at Utility for tonight. After last night, the Reds are likely to start Aurilia (just kidding, I hope)
rlee
rlee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:07 am

i had him when he went on a tear right before he got hurt, helped me get in 1st place in SB's, but then i cut him when he went on the DL.

nice little player to have if you need SB/Runs and no HR/RBI. his positional flexibility is great if you have a shallow bench too
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby The Cow » Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:18 pm

Ever since the Reds dumped D'Angelo Jimenez, Freel has played virtually every day when healthy. I am guessing that most of you that say Freel doesn't play every day are basing that judgement on how Freel was being used at the beginning of the year. If Freel is available grab him, he is as valuable as Pods. Maybe more when you consider Freel can play 2B/3B/OF. Freel will sit one day a week he is not sitting half the time or even 1/3 of the time.

Cow
Give Snakes his due!!!! Snakes deserves the fantasy expert icon!!! Go Snakes!!!!
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers