Incentive to make a trade-----ideas? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Incentive to make a trade-----ideas?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Incentive to make a trade-----ideas?

Postby thaklanksta » Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:09 am

We have a few people in our league who are affraid to trade in fear someone is always trying to dump off a guy who is secretly injured or just because they dont want to trade. It makes the league pretty boring. I'd like to hear some ideas to promote trading. We implemented free trades and it didnt phase activity.

I'm thinking of doing this.

For every trade you make, your name will go into a drawing. At the end of each season we will draw one name
If your name is pulled you will automatically pick 1st in the third round of the upcoming draft.    
You will also get $10.00  off of the upcoming entry fee. If you were already slated to draft 1st in the third round    
you will instead get a $20.00 discount from the upcoming entry fee. Maximum of two entries in the hat per team.    

I welcome any other ideas.....
Last edited by thaklanksta on Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thaklanksta
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Incentive to make a trade-----ideas?

Postby Box » Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:26 am

thaklanksta wrote:We have a few people in our league who are affraid to trade in fear someone is always trying to dump off a guy who is secretly injured or jsut because they dont want to trade.

Wait? So owners arent responsible for their own research anymore? Short of someone working directly for a MLB franchise....player info is no more readily available to one person than another. Buyer beware....always.

If people dont want to trade, you shouldnt have to force them. With plans like yours, all you'll see are more junk trades like Ben Broussard for Kirk Saarloos.
Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby AT » Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:36 am

Charging for trademaking is counterproductive to the success of the league. Nobody likes being in a league that has guys who won't make moves. It's much more beneficial to raise the entry-fee and have free trades. My league learned that the hard way this year when I told them the same thing I'm telling you and they didn't listen. Now they're having the same problem, noone wants to pay for trades unless they're lopsided in their favor and then noone wants to get screwed.

Bottom line is to not have fees for trades, promote having active guys, active lines of communication between owners, and the rest should take care of itself. People just need to target teams who make for good trade partners where one team needs what another team doesn't and vice versa.

I.E... I have a ton of extra speed but my bullpen is struggling and your team needs SB and has extra Saves. We're obviously compatible and the only thing that should stop us from dealing is the lack of our ability to communicate or a fee for making the deal that makes one of us think it's not worth it.
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Big Pimpin » Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:36 am

I'm in a league that's kind of like that, too. People just don't want to deal, even if it's going to make their team better. The most frustrating thing is figuring out what a team's weak spots are, and where they can improve, and proposing a deal that's going to help them out, and then having them just flat-out reject with zero consideration.

The only way I've been able to make trades is to find a guy I really want and then basically overpay for them. It works out ok because I've stockpiled a lot of depth, and it's an 8 team league so there's still quite a bit of talent out there as FA. But it's very, very frustrating.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 7)

Postby AT » Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:43 am

My main obstacle is inactive owners who are hard to get in contact with. That's a common problem I think.
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Postby d18Mike » Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:09 am

I've heard this said on a couple of fantasy-related programs, and I believe it's true ... people dramatically OVERvalue their own players and undervalue others. I don't know how you can override that psychology.
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:55 pm

d18Mike wrote:I've heard this said on a couple of fantasy-related programs, and I believe it's true ... people dramatically OVERvalue their own players and undervalue others. I don't know how you can override that psychology.

Oh so true - and I also don't know how to overcome. I try and present stats of the players (and maybe projected stats), but if that doesn't work, it is tough to overcome.

And AT is right - paying for trades eliminates the little deals designed to tweak your team and causes only big trades to occur. And since no one wants to screw up a big deal, people are more reluctant to do them.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:47 pm

totally inactive owners are a bad thing, but i dont understand whats so wrong with owners that dont trade much. if they dont trade because they are worried they will be ripped off then they will get more active with more experience. as for me, i rarely trade because i generally field a well rounded team, so my only motivation to trade is when it strictly benefits my team. people who trade too much piss me off more than those who trade too little. seems like they just sit at their desk all day and think of stupid trades to offer everyone.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby stumpak » Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:11 pm

If I am in that league and you make that rule, I would simply find a co-conspirator and trade the same scrub back and forth with him every day, giving each of us around a 45% chance of winning your end of season drawing. I bet there are at least a dozen other plausible loopholes that could be exploited if someone sat down and thought about this for 10 minutes.

This would also seem to give people incentive to make a trade for the sake of making a trade, not improving your team. I would bet that this would lead to a lot of trades that are percived as unequal and lots of crying, complaining and calls for vetos.

It sounds like a bad idea--distortionary and too hard to cover every little loophole.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby LooseCannon » Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:35 pm

I think that you should not do that whole money and draft thing.......If a person isn't interested in trading a lot then that's their own interest you can't force them to trade just because you get bored. I think that trading should come naturally and well finding more trade-pro people........my league is overactive which makes it more fun....I think we have made like 30 something deals...

[url=http://www.mp3players4free.com/default.aspx?r=681536] www.mp3players4free.com[/url]
LooseCannon
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers