Matt Murton - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Matt Murton

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Matt Murton

Postby Invictus » Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:14 am

Whenever I see him in a game situation that is really important, he's one of the few guys on the Cubs that i actually feel confident having at bat, without much fear he'll strike out (Him and D-Lee). Maybe some other Cubs fans, or prospect watchers can comment on this guy. potential? or just plain luck? He seems too patient for it to be blind luck in my opinion, so my money is a promising young outfielder.
Last edited by Invictus on Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Invictus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar
Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 644
Joined: 23 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Somewhere between 3rd and home

Postby thehat » Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:24 am

I like the kid as well, and see no reason he's behind the perpetually mediocre Hollandsworth on the depth chart.

But then again, with Du(mbs)sty at the helm, logic frequently takes the day off.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy Expert
Posts: 3721
Joined: 1 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Fabulous Las Vegas

Postby Mustangs989 » Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:03 am

He's not a no name prospect as he was a first round pick by the Red Sox and had a .901 OPS in AA as a 23 year old this year. He certainly never was a top prospect though and doesn't have a lot of power. Still he should be playing more than just against lefties as it's not like Todd (2 for his last 21) Hollandsworth is a great player. It always seems Dusty doesn't like playing the young kids, hopefully he will eventually get some PT against RHP, I wouldn't count on it though.
Image
Mustangs989
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 5540
Joined: 11 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Maybe next year...

Postby Dmville » Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:59 am

I love the way he actually takes pitches. Apparently he heasn't learned Dustyball yet where walks are bad. I'm sure Dusty will "fix" that soon enough.
Dmville
Dmville
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 499
Joined: 8 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Invictus » Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:33 am

3-4 with a walk last night - impressive yet again. ;-D
Invictus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar
Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 644
Joined: 23 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Somewhere between 3rd and home

Postby Registered_Guest » Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:36 pm

He's already got a tremendous eye at the plate. Right now, he's a decent #4 OF. Hollandsworth is a terrible regular and should of been the #4 OF for the Cubs to start the year.

I thought Jody Gerut was a solid pick up for the Cubbies. But he's yet to do anything. I'd rather see him out there everyday that Hollandsworth.

Murton definitely looks like the Cubs best bet for the 3rd OF, but I'd also like to see Gerut getting regular PT.
Registered_Guest
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 955
Joined: 3 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby nuggets » Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:39 pm

thehat wrote:I like the kid as well, and see no reason he's behind the perpetually mediocre Hollandsworth on the depth chart.

But then again, with Du(mbs)sty at the helm, logic frequently takes the day off.


Do you know how many clutch hits Hollandsworth has had for the cubbies this year? He in single handedly responsible for his fair share of victories and I don't care what the stats say I've seen it with my own eyes.

Not that I'm against playing the kid, but give respect were respect is due.
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3342
Joined: 14 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thehat » Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:16 pm

nuggets wrote:
thehat wrote:I like the kid as well, and see no reason he's behind the perpetually mediocre Hollandsworth on the depth chart.

But then again, with Du(mbs)sty at the helm, logic frequently takes the day off.


Do you know how many clutch hits Hollandsworth has had for the cubbies this year? He in single handedly responsible for his fair share of victories and I don't care what the stats say I've seen it with my own eyes.

Not that I'm against playing the kid, but give respect were respect is due.


I'll have to go with the stats, Nuggets. The guy is hitting .256 with 29 RBI in 238 AB. And beyond that, Hollandsworth established himself long ago as a guy who is nothing more than a fourth OF who gets hurt a lot.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy Expert
Posts: 3721
Joined: 1 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Fabulous Las Vegas

Postby Cleveland Steamers » Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:20 pm

Hollandsworth hasnt looked nearly as good after his injury last year. He looked great at the plate last year pre-injury. He battled pitchers and drove balls. He came up clutch in quite a few games and became a valuable member of the cubs. This year however, is a bit different. He often looks clueless at the plate. He doesnt seem to be using his legs like he did last year. He used to turn over on that back foot and drive the ball, this year those liners are mediocre groundouts. I say Murton should keep getting his ABs.
Cleveland Steamers
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 3739
Joined: 12 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Everywhere...looking for a job in baseball...or fantasy sports...

Postby Mustangs989 » Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:23 pm

thehat wrote:
nuggets wrote:
thehat wrote:I like the kid as well, and see no reason he's behind the perpetually mediocre Hollandsworth on the depth chart.

But then again, with Du(mbs)sty at the helm, logic frequently takes the day off.


Do you know how many clutch hits Hollandsworth has had for the cubbies this year? He in single handedly responsible for his fair share of victories and I don't care what the stats say I've seen it with my own eyes.

Not that I'm against playing the kid, but give respect were respect is due.


I'll have to go with the stats, Nuggets. The guy is hitting .256 with 29 RBI in 238 AB. And beyond that, Hollandsworth established himself long ago as a guy who is nothing more than a fourth OF who gets hurt a lot.

Just to add to these look how "clutch" Holly is when there are men on base. I just don't understand why Dusty can't ride the hot hand and play Murton who has an OBP over .500 :-/

Image
Image
Mustangs989
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 5540
Joined: 11 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Maybe next year...

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot], Ray Zorback, unioreimi and 10 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Monday, Jul. 28
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

San Diego at Atlanta
(12:10 pm)
Milwaukee at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Philadelphia at NY Mets
(7:10 pm)
Washington at Miami
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Arizona at Cincinnati
(7:10 pm)
Toronto at Boston
(7:10 pm)
Colorado at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
NY Yankees at Texas
(8:05 pm)
Oakland at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Pittsburgh at San Francisco
(10:15 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact