Baseball Strategy Question -- Burnitz bunt on Sunday: Smart? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Baseball Strategy Question -- Burnitz bunt on Sunday: Smart?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Baseball Strategy Question -- Burnitz bunt on Sunday: Smart?

Postby ActionHero » Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:43 am

Friend of mine are having a disagreement about Dusty's decision to have Burnitz bunt during the Sunday night game. For those who didn't see it, here's the situation:

- runners on 1st, 2nd and 0 outs
- top of the 10th inning
- tie score
- Burnitz at plate, w/ Ramirez on deck

Dusty made the decision to have Burnitz bunt runners over.

Was this the smart play? Not that this means much, but the ESPN announcers (Morgan?) kept going on and on about how dumb this move was because it essentially took the bat out of Aramis Ramirez's hands (who got walked after Burnitz laid down the bunt).

Thoughts?
Last edited by ActionHero on Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ActionHero
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Tavish » Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:47 am

What inning / score?

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby Dmville » Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:48 am

It's one of those can't win situations for a manager I think.

By bunting, he got a runner to third w 1 out. You don't need to be D. Lee or Aramis to hit a Sac Fly or squirt a grounder through a pulled in infield or have a WP/PB. Throw in that Burnitz has been known to K a time or two and that Ramirez had hit into a couple DP's recently in clutch situations and it doesn't look like that bad a call.

The only problem with that sequence was that Barrett K'd.
Dmville
Dmville
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Fool42 » Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:48 am

I don't know the outcome of the game or the rest of that inning even but I think it probably was the wrong decision. What is Burnitz doing on the team if he isn't expected to be an rbi guy. Him up and a runner in scoring position with the protection of Ramirez on deck ket him swing away and try to drive in a run. JMO
All of the true things I am about to tell you are shameless lies
Fool42
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Fool42 » Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:51 am

Just thought that I'd add that just because it didn't work out or wasn't the popular choice doesn't mean it was a bad decision.
All of the true things I am about to tell you are shameless lies
Fool42
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby JTWood » Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:57 am

Fool42 wrote:Just thought that I'd add that just because it didn't work out or wasn't the popular choice doesn't mean it was a bad decision.

It did work out - sort of. Neifi hit a grand slam.

Personally, I thought the call was bad at the time, but looking back, I think it was actually a pretty good move by Dusty. He guaranteed himself two ABs with the bases juiced. He got the grannie, but in that situation, there are so many things that can go right for you.

Let me rephrase this:

Would you rather have 1st and 2nd with nobody out and Jeremy Burnitz batting, or would you rather have the bases jacked with one out and Michael Barrett hitting?
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Big Pimpin » Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:52 am

I thought it was a bad decision just becuase the number 4 and 5 hitters were coming up. It's their job to get guys in in that situation, and Dusty took the bat out of both of their hands. Sure it worked out, but I don't like seeing 3, 4, or 5 hitters bunt.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Dmville » Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:18 am

Anytime you can get the winning/go ahead run to 3B w less than 2 outs late in the game I think you do it.
Dmville
Dmville
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Amazinz » Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:18 am

I didn't see this play in particular but this is a favored call of Willie Randolph. Personally I hate it. Runners on 1st/2nd with no outs has the potential to be a big inning. Then you sac to move the runners up and then attempt to it the sac fly to bring the runner home. I don't know but you give up two outs to score one when with a man on second (unless he's slow) you have an opportunity to score on a single with those two outs.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby stevethumb » Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:54 am

i don't like it especially w/ a LH hitter up who can hit a long flyball to right to move the guy over or at least he has a big 3-4 hole w/the 1Bman holding the runner on..let him put the ball in play..AND hey i would rather have aramis up w/runners on 1st and 2nd than mbarrett up w/the bases loaded
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers