Biggest bust and biggest breakout? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Biggest bust and biggest breakout?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Biggest bust and biggest breakout?

Postby Fantasy Guru » Mon Jul 25, 2005 2:02 am

Yeah, this will be discussed a bunch of times, but I don't know if it will change.

Anyone argue with Oliver Perez being the biggest bust? He was ranked in the CBS sportsline fantasy guide as something like the 9th OVERALL starting pitcher ahead of Peavy, Clemens, even Pedro, I think. I, for one, didn't believe that for a second.

Biggest breakout.. while some may say Roberts, Ensberg, or Derrek Lee, I think it's Chad Cordero. The guy's got 34 saves and an era around 1.

Two out of three magazines I read suggested that Lee would have a breakout season, so I wasn't surprised. Another said Roberts would be in the top 5 at 2B, and it's nearing the end of July and Ensberg's about at his career high.

So anyone think other than Perez/Cordero?
ImageYeah.. this "fantasy guru" thing is just a user name, folks.
Fantasy Guru
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1811
Joined: 16 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Cooperstown

Postby go_jays_go » Mon Jul 25, 2005 2:13 am

Biggest Bust
Carlos Beltran- At the moment Carlos isn't putting up bad numbers.. but for a 1st round calibur player, he's been a big disappointment. 12 HR and 5 SB sucks for him IMO. Jeromy Burnitz practically has as many SB as Beltran. Carl Crawford is 1 HR away from tying with Beltran. You tell me if this "stud" was a bust or not.

Biggest Breakout
Derrek Lee- I don't really think I have to explain this one. He's having a career year, and people are already jumping to conclusions that he will win the triple crown. Well..He's not to far! He's leading the Majors in average, HR, and a couple RBI from the leader (the other Lee). This guy was always a reliable option at first because no other 1st basemen could get you the steals Derrek could, but now he's just making everyone look silly. The guy is a beast, end of story.
Image
go_jays_go
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 10462
Joined: 23 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Toronto, Canada

Postby Kingctb27 » Mon Jul 25, 2005 3:34 am

go_jays_go wrote:Biggest Bust
Carlos Beltran- At the moment Carlos isn't putting up bad numbers.. but for a 1st round calibur player, he's been a big disappointment. 12 HR and 5 SB sucks for him IMO. Jeromy Burnitz practically has as many SB as Beltran. Carl Crawford is 1 HR away from tying with Beltran. You tell me if this "stud" was a bust or not.

Biggest Breakout
Derrek Lee- I don't really think I have to explain this one. He's having a career year, and people are already jumping to conclusions that he will win the triple crown. Well..He's not to far! He's leading the Majors in average, HR, and a couple RBI from the leader (the other Lee). This guy was always a reliable option at first because no other 1st basemen could get you the steals Derrek could, but now he's just making everyone look silly. The guy is a beast, end of story.

These are the 2 guys I would have come up with as well. Although, Helton has been equally as bad as Beltran if not worse. I even think if Beltran was hitting at Coors he could hit 15 homers in 90+ games.

I would also say that Chris Carpenter deserves to b on the break-out list. Sp's with 100 IP or more he ranks #2 in ERA, #3 in K's #4 in WHIP and is #2 in W's. He was looked at before the season as many teams #3 starter. Not Too Bad.
Kingctb27
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Champion
Posts: 7189
Joined: 11 Oct 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Golfing

Postby Laean » Mon Jul 25, 2005 4:52 am

go_jays_go wrote:Biggest Bust
Carlos Beltran- At the moment Carlos isn't putting up bad numbers.. but for a 1st round calibur player, he's been a big disappointment. 12 HR and 5 SB sucks for him IMO. Jeromy Burnitz practically has as many SB as Beltran. Carl Crawford is 1 HR away from tying with Beltran. You tell me if this "stud" was a bust or not.

Biggest Breakout
Derrek Lee- I don't really think I have to explain this one. He's having a career year, and people are already jumping to conclusions that he will win the triple crown. Well..He's not to far! He's leading the Majors in average, HR, and a couple RBI from the leader (the other Lee). This guy was always a reliable option at first because no other 1st basemen could get you the steals Derrek could, but now he's just making everyone look silly. The guy is a beast, end of story.


i was going to say helton for the biggest bust, but i think you're right with beltran.

as for the biggest breakout, i wouldn't say lee. he was already a great player, and somehow i doubt that he's going to hit .370 with power again consistently in the future (if at all). i would say more like this is his fluke year, rather than he is breaking out into a consistent 1st rounder from here on out for the rest of his career.

my biggest breakout would be brian roberts, as much as i hate to say it.
Laean
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2595
Joined: 16 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby WharfRat » Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:12 am

Thome deserves a mention here too. This is a guy who went 40-100 and plays in a launching pad, although wouldn't have gotten drafted quite as high as Helton or Beltran. Pa-thetic.

I think Garland could qualify as breakout player of the year, if he can keep up his pace (which would give him 25 wins, according to ESPN). Lee too, of course. BRob doesn't do it for me because he fell off after a hot start (.250 in July??)
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 3056
Joined: 27 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Walking my fish

Postby go_jays_go » Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:14 am

WharfRat wrote:Thome deserves a mention here too. This is a guy who went 40-100 and plays in a launching pad, although wouldn't have gotten drafted quite as high as Helton or Beltran. Pa-thetic.

I think Garland could qualify as breakout player of the year, if he can keep up his pace (which would give him 25 wins, according to ESPN). Lee too, of course. BRob doesn't do it for me because he fell off after a hot start (.250 in July??)


With all due respect to Garland, I don't think this guy will keep it up. As you can see he's been getting hit harder and the only reason he's getting those wins is because of the ChiSox's stellar offence. The guy has a career 4-ERA and I think his ride will end. Like I said a while back, He's ion for a rude awakening
Image
go_jays_go
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 10462
Joined: 23 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Toronto, Canada

Postby bellybrother » Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:17 am

I'm gonna go with Beltran mostly because there were so many people preseason pushing him as GOD. People had him ahead of Abreu, Phat Albert, A-Rod, Tejada, etc. Ridiculous.

And I also like Carpenter here. He's my most valuable pitcher to this point in the season. I don't think anyone expected this. Definately the biggest gap of where he was ranked to how he is doing.

Perez has been a disappointment, but you could see that coming with his control issues. And Lee was already a really good player. I disagree with people that say he'll never hit .300 again though. I think his figuring out how to hit that inside fastball, which used to be what batteries used to get him out, has elevated his hitting to another level. I don't think he'll forget how to hit that inside pitch. And everyone knew Helton was gonna get pitched around in that lineup. Maybe what wasn't expected was his being satisfied to chase pitches. Come on Todd, take the walks.
bellybrother
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 155
Joined: 7 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: somewhere between reds and colts country

Postby Drunken Rhino » Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:19 am

Not Scott Rolen as Biggest Bust? End of 1st round, beginning of 2nd, the guy hasn't even played. And when he has, he's been terrible. Same w/ Thome. At least Beltran's playing...

Breakout - I'd like to say Utley or F. Lopez. Just b/c the guys like Roberts & D. Lee are too obvious.
Drunken Rhino
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1473
Joined: 14 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bellybrother » Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:24 am

Drunken Rhino wrote:Not Scott Rolen as Biggest Bust? End of 1st round, beginning of 2nd, the guy hasn't even played. And when he has, he's been terrible. Same w/ Thome. At least Beltran's playing...

Breakout - I'd like to say Utley or F. Lopez. Just b/c the guys like Roberts & D. Lee are too obvious.


I hate to label guys busts because of injuries....you'll have that. But underperforming because you can't handle the intense media pressure or the larger dimensions or you don't wanna run cause you might hurt yourself or you only wanna hit HR's when Pedro's pitchin.....well, that's a bust. Especially when people were drafting you 1ST OVERALL in some places.
bellybrother
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 155
Joined: 7 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: somewhere between reds and colts country

Postby go_jays_go » Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:29 am

Drunken Rhino wrote:Not Scott Rolen as Biggest Bust? End of 1st round, beginning of 2nd, the guy hasn't even played. And when he has, he's been terrible. Same w/ Thome. At least Beltran's playing...

Breakout - I'd like to say Utley or F. Lopez. Just b/c the guys like Roberts & D. Lee are too obvious.


Since Beltran is playing that should be worse. He's sure playing..playing like crap :-t
Image
go_jays_go
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 10462
Joined: 23 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Toronto, Canada

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Thursday, Oct. 2
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Detroit at Baltimore
(5:37 pm)
Kansas City at LA Angels
(9:07 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact