Rich Hill - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rich Hill

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Invictus » Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:14 am

IMO he looked GREAT for his first major league start. Granted, Wrigley isn't a Yankee stadium in terms of hostile environments for first starts, but it doesn't need to be. My prediction (yes, Im going out on a limb here) - He's mentioned in the same sentence as Mark Prior in terms of studlyness by the end of 2007 ;-D . The one thing i can see killing this prediction is the walks.
Invictus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby WittyC » Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:43 am

Invictus wrote:IMO he looked GREAT for his first major league start. Granted, Wrigley isn't a Yankee stadium in terms of hostile environments for first starts, but it doesn't need to be. My prediction (yes, Im going out on a limb here) - He's mentioned in the same sentence as Mark Prior in terms of studlyness by the end of 2007 ;-D . The one thing i can see killing this prediction is the walks.

A) That's a bit premature.
B) For the love of God, let's not jinx the kid.

His name's been tossed around as their top bargaining piece in any trades before the deadline, but with Wood headed to the BP, it looks like he'll be joining the rotation instead.

His control is obviously a problem, but he's a flamethrower who has a ridiculous hook (anybody else watch that side-by-side they did on Sportscenter with Zito?). I'm grabbing him in leagues where I am either comfortably ahead or desperately behind.
WittyC
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Registered_Guest » Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:44 am

Invictus wrote:IMO he looked GREAT for his first major league start. Granted, Wrigley isn't a Yankee stadium in terms of hostile environments for first starts, but it doesn't need to be. My prediction (yes, Im going out on a limb here) - He's mentioned in the same sentence as Mark Prior in terms of studlyness by the end of 2007 ;-D . The one thing i can see killing this prediction is the walks.

I won't go there in comparing him to anything close to Prior. He did look pretty good (albeit vs. a subpar offense).

He could have a lot better balance on the mound -- which causes a lot of his pitches to sail wide of the zone. I'd like to see him repeating the same pitching motion on every pitch. I think if he could really improve on these 2 things, he could very well have a successful career as a top of the rotation starter. (after seeing how quickly Zam improved his control, I'll never say never)

My opinion is he'll always have some control issues & he'll end up anywhere from a 4th/5th starter to a late inning lefty (in the mold of a Neal Cotts)....nothing wrong with that. Very few lefties in the game are going to be able to hit Hill's curve.
Registered_Guest
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Invictus » Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:52 am

Registered_Guest wrote:

I won't go there in comparing him to anything close to Prior. He did look pretty good (albeit vs. a subpar offense).

Well, it is a "out on a limb prediction" -- i have the potential to look like a complete genius or, by 2007, no one will remember i even made this prediction! rewards without the risk! ;-D ... but i seriously do see good things for Hill, that curve is devastating.
Last edited by Invictus on Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Invictus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby nuggets » Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:02 am

nice, right field sux was the name of my championship team last year.

go bleacher bums!
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Invictus » Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:03 am

nuggets wrote:nice, right field sux was the name of my championship team last year.

go bleacher bums!

;-D
Invictus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers