Strategy/Punting question - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Strategy/Punting question

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Strategy/Punting question

Postby great gretzky » Sun Jul 24, 2005 7:36 pm

I throw this out here, as I have been debating it for a while. I am in an 11 team 5 by 5 roto league. Next to last in steals.

Do I go ahead and punt them? Making up 14 steals would give me 3 points, a mere 6 two. BUT 16 hr's would move me up 4 points, 21 6 points.

I have Beltran and Freel who showed basestealing signs of life. BUT my team has had the biggest busts in Beltran, Helton, Huff. Do I just try and move Carlos and Ryan for more power? (My RBI deficiencies are a rougha pproximate of how HR would be)

The problem is of course is that Carlos could just go buck and help make up both deficiencies?

What tactic should I take? Hope Freel and Carlos get me three easy ones? Hold and hope I get the steals, and the combined effect of having Huff, Carlos, and Helton come around makes up the HR and Steals? Or, do I trade Beltran and Freel for abject power, and punt? As long as I don't trade to the guy behind me in steals, I can't lose that point. One team looks particulary vulnerable as he just surged and is three steals off the lead. Any ideas?
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby stevethumb » Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:22 pm

i don't like the looks of freel's toe thang..trade him and a lil sumpin' sumpin' for a hitter w/a little pop (maybe to a team who could pass in steals the closest team ahead of you in the overall standings--a perfect deal would take some HRs from a team just ahead of you in that cat)
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby socceryank » Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:36 pm

I am in the same situation, except I am in dead last in steals. However, I am leading in 3 offensive categories and in 2nd in the other 2. At this point of the season, I have decided to focus more on my pitching, and punt the steals (which can be very sporadic).
C M. Montero
1B AGonz
2B Uggla
3B Zimmermann
SS Jeter
OF J Upton, McCutcheon, Choo
Util Kendrys Morales
BN Pena
DL Gardner
SP Gallardo, Bumgarner, Latos, Zimmermann, Luebke, Jaime Garcia, Hughes, Burnett
RP League, Marshall, Betancourt
socceryank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby zEli173 » Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:56 am

Although Freel has looked pretty good to me, I think you've answered your own question -- you should punt. You probably can only make up ground in only power or speed but not both. There are more points to be had and easier to have them in the power cats. 21 HR's is a lot less than 13 sb's. Also, I would venture to guess that there are few teams that are pretty desperate for steals and therefore will give you good vlaue for speedsters.

My one caveat is that I don't think it's a good time to sell Beltran. Heis apparently healthy for the first time in a while and I've seen himput some pretty good swingsonthe ball lately. I don't think his value can go any lower.
zEli173
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby TheYanks04 » Mon Jul 25, 2005 1:03 am

Since you cannot move a lot of points easily in SBs, it makes more sense to punt it at the cost of maybe 1 point and go for power/runs/rbis. Power hitters get you rbis and udually have decent run totals. Assuming you get a decent avg guy, you can move HR/rbis by switching Freel to a slugger as opposed to dealing with just sbs. I would look to add a slugger with a decent avg (ie you don't want Dunn) and move Freel.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby TheYanks04 » Mon Jul 25, 2005 1:04 am

Since you cannot move a lot of points easily in SBs, it makes more sense to punt it at the cost of maybe 1 point and go for power/runs/rbis. Power hitters get you rbis and udually have decent run totals. Assuming you get a decent avg guy, you can move HR/rbis by switching Freel to a slugger as opposed to dealing with just sbs. I would look to add a slugger with a decent avg (ie you don't want Dunn) and move Freel.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby The Cow » Mon Jul 25, 2005 1:09 am

Do you realize Freel based on his ABs is on a 70 steal pace? My guess is that Freel could move you up in the SB cat alot more than you realize. As for your lack of power, you are in an 11 team league there is power on the wire or at least quality SPs or a steal guy. Make some tough cuts, pick up some players, make some trades. Punting a category is O.K. if your goal is 2nd place. To win you have to take chances and you will seldom win an 11 teamer by punting a category.

Freel is playing everyday when healthy and leading off he is the Scott Podsednik of the NL.

Cow
Give Snakes his due!!!! Snakes deserves the fantasy expert icon!!! Go Snakes!!!!
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby stevethumb » Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:12 am

hey cow, the operative word in your post about freel is when...HEALTHY....that toe thang is chronic and i dont see freel stealing more than 10-12 the rest of the way
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby great gretzky » Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:51 am

well, I thought I would add some other relevant info after seeing the responses. 6 steals gets me 2 pts, 14, 3 pts.

I'd post my hitting roster too -- just so we can see if I can make up the homers without moving them.

b. molina, helton, freel, huff, k. greene, biggio, delgado, a. jones, griffey, damon, beltran, shelton. bench: swisher, polanco.

To me, it seems helton, huff are turning it around -- and I recently acquired shelton and griffey. So, should I still go through witha punt and look to replace beltran? Tough call. other option is upgrading 2b/SS, but the price maybe too high. That only leaves 3b IMO, then move Huff to the outfield, which could also work.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby great gretzky » Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:46 am

bump.. any ideas?
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic