Once I hit 3000 posts I may retire? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Once I hit 3000 posts I may retire?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby reznorsboy » Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:55 am

Good Info!! Alot more to Cycling than I thought ;-D
reznorsboy
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ironman » Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:30 am

Mercer pretty much covered everything you need to know. ESPN the Mag had a great article about the Tour last year. It broke down the different roles the cyclists have on Lance's team. Basically each guy has a certain job to help Lance win the race.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 94)

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:54 am

MB,

Thanks for all the great info. I always wondered why those guys have teams, and I never could figure it out. And while I appreciate the explanation... I still don't get it.

:-B

Were you saying that the teammates try to get others speed up by getting out in front of them and increasing the pace of the race?
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby LooseCannon » Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:58 pm

Mercer Boy wrote:
These guys are unbelievable climbers, but since they are generally terrible individual time trialists, they have little chance to win the Tour. Those type of guys normally win the polka-dot jersey. This year, the winner was Michael Rasmussen from Denmark.

Didn't Rasmussen have a chance to win it this year ....he was in contention for most of the race, until that terrible last stage.

[url=http://www.mp3players4free.com/default.aspx?r=681536] www.mp3players4free.com[/url]
LooseCannon
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:15 pm

Wow, thanks Merk. I would've never anticipated any of that within the sport of cycling. Very cool. ;-D
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 347)

Postby Mercer Boy » Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:25 pm

LooseCannon wrote:
Mercer Boy wrote:
These guys are unbelievable climbers, but since they are generally terrible individual time trialists, they have little chance to win the Tour. Those type of guys normally win the polka-dot jersey. This year, the winner was Michael Rasmussen from Denmark.

Didn't Rasmussen have a chance to win it this year ....he was in contention for most of the race, until that terrible last stage.

You are right! ;-D In fact, Rasmussen was in 2nd for quite a good amount of the Tour. He was less than a minute behind Lance until he wrecked that one day.

Richard Virenque always was close in the overall as well, but without the time trialing ability, he couldn't get close enough to Lance or Jan Ullrich.

Still, very few pure climbers win the Tour these days. You have to be excellent in both climbing and time trialing to gain the most time. Marco Pantani (RIP to the Pirate :,-() was the last guy to win the Tour without being a great time trialer. I remember that year; he took off by himself on a very hard stage taking all sorts of scary risks on the mountain descents and beat all the other riders by over 8 minutes. 8-o
The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy.
MySpace blog (updated 6/21 - Pirates walkout.)
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to General Talk