Curtis Granderson for Detroit - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Curtis Granderson for Detroit

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby d18Mike » Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:14 am

I'd agree. He may be fast but I've never seen him pegged as huge threat in the SB category. He'll contrbute there, I suspect, but not anywhere near Crawfordesque numbers.
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager


Posts: 1696
Joined: 27 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AT » Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:25 am

I suppose I high balled him quite a bit when I threw Crawford out there but his future body type, his hiitting style, and his speed remind me a lot of Hot Carl. I'd say a good projection for him when he's fully acquainted to the majors is something like .295-.310, 25 HRs (tops), with 25-35 SB. RBI's obviously depending on where he hits in the order.
Image
AT
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3920
Joined: 23 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: On Parole

Postby Yoda » Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:55 am

Atrophying Testicles wrote:I suppose I high balled him quite a bit when I threw Crawford out there but his future body type, his hiitting style, and his speed remind me a lot of Hot Carl. I'd say a good projection for him when he's fully acquainted to the majors is something like .295-.310, 25 HRs (tops), with 25-35 SB. RBI's obviously depending on where he hits in the order.


Not sure why you would only think he can hit 25 HR tops. He had 13 HR, 28 2B, 9 3B at AAA this year.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Postby mcqfesijiba » Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:11 am

Yoda wrote:
Atrophying Testicles wrote:I suppose I high balled him quite a bit when I threw Crawford out there but his future body type, his hiitting style, and his speed remind me a lot of Hot Carl. I'd say a good projection for him when he's fully acquainted to the majors is something like .295-.310, 25 HRs (tops), with 25-35 SB. RBI's obviously depending on where he hits in the order.


Not sure why you would only think he can hit 25 HR tops. He had 13 HR, 28 2B, 9 3B at AAA this year.
I agree. Most everything I'd heard about Granderson prior to seeing him after being called up seems to have been underrated or he has just improved. That gap power and speed will serve him well in Comerica. This team really hasn't had a guy who can run like Granderson AND have power AND hit left handed. I'm not going to expect the rest of the season to necessarily go like his first several games, but I see no reason this guy shouldn't be playing CF for this team most everyday the remainder of the season.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1664
Joined: 31 Dec 2002
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Detroit, MI

Postby AT » Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:52 am

Unless Curtis stumbles upon Pudge's old stash of Vitamins, he's not hitting 30+ HR's in that body. Not every player who hits 2B's and 3B's in AAA and shows good gap power turns a 13HR AAA season into a 30HR campaign in the majors because we assume some of his 2B's and 3B's will go over the fence when his body matures and he gains some more experience. He did have 21 HR's in a full campaign at AA the year before. I think projecting more than a 25HR season at the major league level is a bit on the open minded side... Who knows how he'll hit lefties at the major league level and if he'll ever "fill out his body" and turn those 2B's into Homers. He's an exciting player and has great potential but before we start throwing out Bobby Abreu comparisons let's see the kid at the major league level for a while.

Abreu did only hit in the teens in HR's in the minors but had a bigger frame and always had a bigger body/head and he's only hit 30 HR's twice (despite his pace right now to get to 40).

Here were his numbers in the minors...

MINOR LEAGUE BATTING STATS
Year Team G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB CS OBP SLG AVG
1991 R-ASTROS 56 183 21 55 7 3 0 20 17 27 10 6 .358 .372 .301
1992 A-ASHEVILLE 135 480 81 140 21 4 8 48 63 79 15 11 .375 .402 .292
1993 A-OSCEOLA 129 474 62 134 21 17 5 55 51 90 10 14 .352 .430 .283
1994 AA-JACKSON 118 400 61 121 25 9 16 73 42 81 12 10 .368 .530 .303
1995 AAA-TUCSON 114 415 72 126 24 17 10 75 67 120 16 14 .395 .516 .304
1996 AAA-TUCSON 132 484 86 137 14 16 13 68 83 111 24 18 .389 .459 .283
1997 AAA-NEW ORLEANS 47 194 25 52 9 4 2 22 21 49 7 4 .335 .387 .268
1997 AA-JACKSON 3 12 2 2 1 0 0 0 1 5 0 0 .231 .250 .167
TOTALS: 734 2642 410 767 122 70 54 361 345 562 94 77 .370 .451 .290


Here are Granderson's Minor League Stats...

MINOR LEAGUE BATTING STATS
Year Team G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB CS OBP SLG AVG
2002 A-ONEONTA 52 212 45 73 15 4 3 34 20 35 9 2 .417 .495 .344
2003 A-LAKELAND 127 476 71 136 29 10 11 51 49 91 10 7 .365 .458 .286
2004 AA-ERIE 123 462 89 140 19 8 21 93 80 95 14 8 .407 .515 .303
Image
AT
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3920
Joined: 23 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: On Parole

Postby AT » Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:59 am

Sorry, those are really hard to read and didn't come out right...

Granderson had 3HR with 34RBI over 212 AB's in A Ball at Oneonta in 2002.
11HR and 51RBI over 476 AB's at A Ball Lakeland in 2003
21HR with 93RBI over 462 AB's at AA Erie in 2004.
This year he was at 13HR with 59RBI and .295 at AAA Toledo over 387 AB's before being called up.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/mlb/players/playerpage/393076

Here's the link to Abreu's minor league #'s (They're at the bottom).

http://www.cbs.sportsline.com/mlb/playe ... rpage/7367
Image
AT
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3920
Joined: 23 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: On Parole

Postby garf112 » Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:06 pm

Atrophying Testicles wrote:Unless Curtis stumbles upon Pudge's old stash of Vitamins, he's not hitting 30+ HR's in that body. Not every player who hits 2B's and 3B's in AAA and shows good gap power turns a 13HR AAA season into a 30HR campaign in the majors because we assume some of his 2B's and 3B's will go over the fence when his body matures and he gains some more experience.



Those 13 HRs are in a little bit more than half of a season. 28 doubles as well. Now, I'm not saying that with every guy doubles turn into HRs, but there are guys who are called "wiry" strong. Alfonso Soriano comes to mind. He doesn't look like a guy who should pack as much power as he does. Granderson is 6'1" 185lbs. Soriano 6'1" 180lbs.
Join Pennant Wars today! A simulated fantasy baseball game where you are the General Manager.

http://www.pennantwars.com/index.php?r= ... &user=2163
garf112
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 2307
(Past Year: 38)
Joined: 10 May 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:08 pm

Atrophying Testicles wrote:Sorry, those are really hard to read and didn't come out right...

Granderson had 3HR with 34RBI over 212 AB's in A Ball at Oneonta in 2002.
11HR and 51RBI over 476 AB's at A Ball Lakeland in 2003
21HR with 93RBI over 462 AB's at AA Erie in 2004.
This year he was at 13HR with 59RBI and .295 at AAA Toledo over 387 AB's before being called up.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/mlb/players/playerpage/393076

Here's the link to Abreu's minor league #'s (They're at the bottom).

http://www.cbs.sportsline.com/mlb/playe ... rpage/7367


I'm not sure why you would compare him to Abreu. I also don't understand what Abreu's minor league numbers have anything to do with Granderson's power potential.

Granderson's extra base hit totals for 04 and 05 clearly shows that he has more than just a gap power. He is very young and based on his power numbers so far, he could easily hit 30 HRs if he continues the current path.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Postby AT » Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:18 pm

Soriano is a great example, nice call. Only reason why I brought up Abreu is because other people have and I've heard it mentioned before that "Detroit hopes that he turns into a Bobby Abreu type" or something like that. I just don't see how this guy can easily hit 30HR's on his current path. I really don't. I think it's possible for him to do so but to say it's easily attainable is IMO, too optimistic at this point. He's an exciting player no doubt about it. Tigers have a great young team.
Image
AT
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3920
Joined: 23 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: On Parole

Postby AT » Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:27 pm

Bobby Higginson is a 5'11 195lb Lefty who hit 23HR 67RBI with 28 2B in 476 AB's at AAA Toledo in his final season there and only hit 30HR once in the majors at the height of the steroid era in 2000 after seasons of 14, 26, 27, 25, 12*(injury shortened). His projections were probably even higher than 30 when he broke in and he still only did it once. All I'm saying is guys don't hit 30 HR's easily.
Image
AT
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3920
Joined: 23 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: On Parole

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Friday, Oct. 24
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Kansas City at San Francisco
(8:07 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact