David Bush - Any potential here? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

David Bush - Any potential here?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

David Bush - Any potential here?

Postby kcs261 » Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:31 am

What do people think?
kcs261
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby zEli173 » Sun Jul 24, 2005 12:09 pm

Yes. He was effective last year and really wasn't that bad before he was sent down this year. I can see him having some value the rest of the way.
zEli173
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby INKcogKNEEdough » Sun Jul 24, 2005 12:13 pm

He is a solid option in deeeeep leagues. Last year in the 2nd half he pitched reallllly well and i was quite high on him coming into THIS season so i drafted him. He got fairly lit up to the point of getting sent back to the minors....In his defense, he seemed to have someone mad at him when it came to who he pitched against. I want to say it was the bosox 3 times, the whitesox twice and the yankees once. Meanwhile Josh towers was doing just the opposite, getting starts against the mariners,royals and such. Bush to me is still CLEARLY the better pitcher of the two but to look at the numbers Towers looks MUCH better and therefore stayed while bush got sent packing. He has a couple of tough matchups coming up next as well if i am not mistaken, so you may want to wait till after at least one more start if not two and keep an eye on him. Bottom line: shallow league=decent spot starter at best.....DEEP league=someone to keep an eye on and could be a nice sleeper for the stretch run.

Just my opinion,

INKcogKNEEdough
"There was shrinkage!".....(George costanza)

Http://www.briliantdonkey.blogspot.com
INKcogKNEEdough
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bdrotoronto » Sun Jul 24, 2005 12:59 pm

As per the last post, I think he is a decent pickup in deep leagues. In fact, he just got picked up in my 19-teamer this morning. He was very solid last year and the Jays were counting on him to be the #5 starter this season. Things didn't work out and he got some unlucky breaks I think, but now that he's back I see no reason for him not to stick with the big club the rest of the way, especially with Halladay continuing to miss time. The team simply can't continue to throw S. Downs and P. Walker out there two times per every five games.

Don't be fooled by any comparisons to J. Towers, Bush has a much higher upside than Towers. I don't think Towers can ever be any better than what he is right now, which is an average-to-mediocre MLB pitcher. Bush I think can be much better than that. He had to get sent down to Syracuse to work on his mechanics a bit, but hopefully that has been straightened out now. I wouldn't put too much emphasis on his start against the Royals last night, but it's a good start, and there is certainly potential for him to keep it up, based on his performance last year. I think I'd bench him for sure the next few weeks, though, based on the schedule the Jays pitchers have upcoming.. :-o
bdrotoronto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Secret Avatar » Mon Jul 25, 2005 7:15 pm

He's got some good stuff but can be inconsistent. Beyond that, he plays in probably the most offensive-heavy division in baseball and in a bad park for pitchers. Ouch. Halladay seems to be the only starter who can consistently overcome these problems (when he's healthy at least) but his stuff is MUCH better than Bush's.
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Return to Baseball Leftovers