Best/Worst ESPN Personalities - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Best/Worst ESPN Personalities

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Oat Soda » Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:41 am

davidmarver wrote:Seriously...between golf, nascar, pool, spelling bees, outdoor games, and other games proclaimed, by ESPN, to be sports, I cannot watch the channel. Probably a main reason I am at the cafe so frequently.

Amen! Those who remember the good-old days of MTV remember when it starting sucking ass about 15 years ago. ESPN started doing the same thing, albeit slowly, about 10 years ago, but they've picked up the pace the last few years. I can't bear watching it.

I don't know about radio. Dan Patrick's show used to be great but I haven't listened to it since the local sports talk station went political a few years ago (and I'm still on dial-up so I don't bother with the internet feed). Isn't Dibble at Fox now?
Oat Soda
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby warrick95 » Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:08 pm

Stephen A. has style without substance. I love hearing him scream all the time, but he doesn't say anything remotely reasonable. He really did say something retarded while filling in for Rome a week or two ago...even by his standards. He said that he'd be thrilled after the Tour De France ended, so he'd never have to hear Lance Armstrong's name again. Smith said that he's happy for him (that he made it back from cancer, too) and gives him props for that, but says that it's ridiculous (he loves that word, said in his special little way, too) that Lance is even mentioned in a top athletes discussion. He says that he rides a bike for a living for chrissake. Of course, Stephen A. fails to mention that he rides for 86+ hours over a three week span and through many difficult terrains. I'm not sure whether or not he's the best athlete period, but he's definitely in the discussion.

The worst has to be Berman. A nickname here or there is amusing and fun, but he uses them for each player. A casual fan would have no idea who the hell these players are (real names) after watching him. Bermanisms are so outdone now.

The best...
Does Jennie Finch, the sometimes softball analyst on ESPN count? :-D Seriously, she's not that great, though, but her voice is hot.

The best is Buster Olney when he does Baseball Tonight. He's very informative, states his point clearly without screaming or b*tching, and his points are usually quite good. He's a great sportswriter, too. What I'm impressed by him, too, is that Olney doesn't really talk with a heavy Yankee bias, as I first expected when I saw him on the show. He will point out things about the Yankees here or there with his knowledge of the team, but he certainly is nowhere as near biased as some people who cover a single team a lot.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby jps373 » Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:21 pm

I hate Berman because of stories I have heard about his personality. Some of the local sports talk guys here have worked with him from time to time and say that he is an arse in real life.

I remember one story in particular. Berman has an assistant that follows him around. On one occasion, he calls the assistant over and hands the assistant a water bottle. The guy unscrews the cap and hands the bottle back to Berman. He takes a sip and hands it back to the assistant to put the cap back on. How ridiculous is that?
jps373
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Drunken Rhino » Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:31 pm

Oh like if you had that kind of power, you wouldn't use it? That's awesome! Go Berman! If his assistant wasn't smart enough to say to him, "Unscrew your own goddam water bottle." then he deserves whatever Berman dishes out to him.
Drunken Rhino
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Chicago RedSox » Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:55 pm

No one as mentioned her as good or bad, but I like that Linda Cohn lady. She's kinda old school like Stuart Scott, but without all the worn out talk. And she doesn't seem to have to try too hard like most female sportscasters do.

And does anyone else remember the SportsCenter days of old when Craig Kilborn was a host? They've been trying to fill those shoes ever since, but to no avail. He was the funniest dude they ever had.
Play Ball
Chicago RedSox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Kingctb27 » Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:59 pm

Well, I actually like Stephen A. Smith because he gives it too you straight at least. However, I really, really hate Jim Rome. :-t

:-b
Kingctb27
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Champion

Postby Fool42 » Tue Jul 26, 2005 4:10 pm

I like this one girl that had been doing a lot of the BBall coverage. I think shes fairly new and I can't remember her name. She got red hair, a somewhat round face and shes got the biggest....eyes. Oh yea has a mole or something too.
All of the true things I am about to tell you are shameless lies
Fool42
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Tavish » Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:24 pm

Chicago RedSox wrote:And does anyone else remember the SportsCenter days of old when Craig Kilborn was a host? They've been trying to fill those shoes ever since, but to no avail. He was the funniest dude they ever had.

Wow, you made me feel old. I still remember watching the "Old Days" with Greg Gumbel hosting SportsCenter.

Honestly the more that I think about it the more I think ESPN misses Dick Schaap.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby Iconoclastic » Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:39 pm

Fool42 wrote:I like this one girl that had been doing a lot of the BBall coverage. I think shes fairly new and I can't remember her name. She got red hair, a somewhat round face and shes got the biggest....eyes. Oh yea has a mole or something too.

Rachel Nichols. I like her too. And that other white girl Erin Andrews ain't that bad looking neither.
[b]Bold Predictions:[/b]

Grady Sizemore will have more value than Jason Bay regardless of draft position

Aramis Ramirez in 155 G will hit over .300 40 HR 110 RBIs

Brian McCann will have more value than Jorge Posada regardless of draft position
Iconoclastic
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby benjapage » Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:51 pm

watch rachel nichols. at the end of each one of her segments, she says, "rachel nichols, ESPM." that's right. e-s-p-m. seriously bothers me. she's also really rigid/nervous. cohn is great because she's so chill.

b
yeah, yes...
benjapage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers