Best/Worst ESPN Personalities - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Best/Worst ESPN Personalities

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby bellybrother » Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:08 am

In the baseball side my least favorite is Jeff brantley. Loud, obnoxious and go back to Mississippi. Favorite, Tim Kurkjian. Even if he doesn't know what he's talkin about half the time, at least he's not obnoxious.

Football. Least favorite, Mike Ervin. I mean, please. Favorite, Steve Young. Intelligent, insightful and does a good job just not to strangle Ervin and Jackson(who gets a runner up to Mike)

Basketball, least, SAS. Quite Frankly you're loud and overbearing. Favorite, Tim Legler/Greg Anthony.....Nice and easy.

In general, least favorite, Stu....BOOYAH!! on outta here. And Bayless. Somebody needs to do somethin about him. Favorite, VanPelt. Understated funny. Can't go wrong.
bellybrother
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby WharfRat » Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:19 am

bellybrother wrote:Basketball, least, SAS. Quite Frankly you're loud and overbearing. Favorite, Tim Legler/Greg Anthony.....Nice and easy.

Good call on Greg Anthony, I always forget about him but he is very mellow and doesn't try to rock-and-shock with attitude and yelling like these other a-holes. He provides analysis the way it's supposed to be done. Irvin sucks, he's the Screamin A. Smith of the NFL, and his suits give me migraines. :-P

The more I think about this, the more I get angry about it. ESPN really does need a nice, quiet overhaul, and hire commentators who didn't go to the Sean Hannity School of Charm, Eloquence and Understatement.
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bellybrother » Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:20 am

WharfRat wrote:
bellybrother wrote:Basketball, least, SAS. Quite Frankly you're loud and overbearing. Favorite, Tim Legler/Greg Anthony.....Nice and easy.

Good call on Greg Anthony, I always forget about him but he is very mellow and doesn't try to rock-and-shock with attitude and yelling like these other a-holes. He provides analysis the way it's supposed to be done. Irvin sucks, he's the Screamin A. Smith of the NFL, and his suits give me migraines. :-P

The more I think about this, the more I get angry about it. ESPN really does need a nice, quiet overhaul, and hire commentators who didn't go to the Sean Hannity School of Charm, Eloquence and Understatement.

Nice call. Hannity would fit right in next to SAS and Bayless with Brantley filling in when they're out.
bellybrother
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby LooseCannon » Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:43 am

I like listening to Woody Paige a lot.......any one else think he's good?

[url=http://www.mp3players4free.com/default.aspx?r=681536] www.mp3players4free.com[/url]
LooseCannon
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby socceryank » Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:54 pm

Can this debate include the radio guys as well? If so, I think Dan Patrick is one of the most intelligent hosts out there, presents both sides of the debate and then includes his take in a non "in-your-face" manner.

I am becoming a bigger fan of Eric Kasilius (I know I am butchering the spelling of his last name). I think he poses very interesting questions to players, not the typical boring arse questions.
C M. Montero
1B AGonz
2B Uggla
3B Zimmermann
SS Jeter
OF J Upton, McCutcheon, Choo
Util Kendrys Morales
BN Pena
DL Gardner
SP Gallardo, Bumgarner, Latos, Zimmermann, Luebke, Jaime Garcia, Hughes, Burnett
RP League, Marshall, Betancourt
socceryank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby The G-Man » Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:02 pm

slappinSingles wrote:Stephen A. Smith, quite frankly you're an idiot.
Great article from the Sport Cloumn about Smith belittling Marty S for not kicking a field goal on 3rd down "If only Marty had tried the game winning field goal on 3rd down, the Chargers might still be in the playoffs. If Kaeding had missed, he would have had another shot on 4th down.":
http://www.sportscolumn.com/story/2005/ ... ield_Goals

Complete idiot.

Amen, brother. I remember watching that game and listening to him. I could not believe what I was hearing. I did not realize it was Screamin A. Smith. The "A" must stand for awful.

Remember during the Pistons-Heat series he said that either of these teams would defeat the Spurs.
The G-Man
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby davidmarver » Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:17 pm

wrveres wrote:
Tavish wrote:The Road From Bristol Tourney is looking to decide just this very question. Other than the occasional Kenny Mayne (when he isn't repeating old shtick) and Chris Mortenson (on a good day), there isn't an ESPN personality I can tolerate for more than 15 seconds.

Around the Horn is the most god-awful debate show and PTI isn't all that much better. Baseball Tonight is 20 minutes of Yankee/Red Sox worship, NBA 2nite is anchored and staffed by P-Diddy wannabes and the world's tallest hippy, and NFL countdown figured Berman wasn't annoying enough and added pimp/cokehead Mike Irvin.

Probably the only show that never got on my nerves was the NHL spotlight show, since I never cared enough to watch it.

ditto ...

I cannot stand ESPN anymore ..
the list is quite long actually ..
Red Sox/Yankees shoved down our throat constantly ..
If there is a game on ESPN, you can almost rest assured it is one of those two teams, and god forbid the weeks that they play each other. When that happens, you can pretty much forget about getting any sports news what so ever. I actually dispise the East coast teams even more, because of this. Before they were just bearable. You read the box scores and moved on. Not any more. It is almost to the point that I am thinking about blocking ESPN on my tube.

The personalities ..

Gammons ... Cannot stand with a passion.
"Hey Peter, what do you think of the Brewers chances this year?" ... "Er ummm err um" ( insert drool) .... "er ummmm err ummm ... RED SOX" ... "Er ummm err um Yankees " ... "Er ummm err um .. A's ... " somebody give the man a spit rag already.

Steven A Smith ... quite frankly I hope your show lasts no longer than one week. What garbage is this. Who really cares what this screamer thinks .

Skip Bayless ... Scum! ... (any other words to describe him, would be a waste of oxygen)

Berman ... I want to shove a stick up his arse, while screaming "Back, Back, Back" ....

The list of horrible personalities is endless ..

I would just like to thank ESPN for doing everything in their power to DESTROY sports for sports fans...

Nobody cares about shooting a pool ball into a boot.
Nobody cares about dogs jumping into water.
Nobody cares about how quickly somebody can cut thru wood with a chain saw. ...

when the **** did this become ..... Sport! :-t

Oh and BTW ... ESPN ...

I now hate Danika Patrick ... I don't know why. She has never done anything (which has alot to do with it) .. but yet there she is every Weekend ... Danika .. Danika .. Danika ... I hope she never wins a thing. Zip none nada. Is it her fault? Probably not ....

Blame ESPN ..

Seriously...between golf, nascar, pool, spelling bees, outdoor games, and other games proclaimed, by ESPN, to be sports, I cannot watch the channel. Probably a main reason I am at the cafe so frequently.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:23 pm

wrveres wrote:
Tavish wrote:The Road From Bristol Tourney is looking to decide just this very question. Other than the occasional Kenny Mayne (when he isn't repeating old shtick) and Chris Mortenson (on a good day), there isn't an ESPN personality I can tolerate for more than 15 seconds.

Around the Horn is the most god-awful debate show and PTI isn't all that much better. Baseball Tonight is 20 minutes of Yankee/Red Sox worship, NBA 2nite is anchored and staffed by P-Diddy wannabes and the world's tallest hippy, and NFL countdown figured Berman wasn't annoying enough and added pimp/cokehead Mike Irvin.

Probably the only show that never got on my nerves was the NHL spotlight show, since I never cared enough to watch it.

ditto ...

I cannot stand ESPN anymore ..
the list is quite long actually ..
Red Sox/Yankees shoved down our throat constantly ..
If there is a game on ESPN, you can almost rest assured it is one of those two teams, and god forbid the weeks that they play each other. When that happens, you can pretty much forget about getting any sports news what so ever. I actually dispise the East coast teams even more, because of this. Before they were just bearable. You read the box scores and moved on. Not any more. It is almost to the point that I am thinking about blocking ESPN on my tube.

The personalities ..

Gammons ... Cannot stand with a passion.
"Hey Peter, what do you think of the Brewers chances this year?" ... "Er ummm err um" ( insert drool) .... "er ummmm err ummm ... RED SOX" ... "Er ummm err um Yankees " ... "Er ummm err um .. A's ... " somebody give the man a spit rag already.

Steven A Smith ... quite frankly I hope your show lasts no longer than one week. What garbage is this. Who really cares what this screamer thinks .

Skip Bayless ... Scum! ... (any other words to describe him, would be a waste of oxygen)

Berman ... I want to shove a stick up his arse, while screaming "Back, Back, Back" ....

The list of horrible personalities is endless ..

I would just like to thank ESPN for doing everything in their power to DESTROY sports for sports fans...

Nobody cares about shooting a pool ball into a boot.
Nobody cares about dogs jumping into water.
Nobody cares about how quickly somebody can cut thru wood with a chain saw. ...

when the **** did this become ..... Sport! :-t

Oh and BTW ... ESPN ...

I now hate Danika Patrick ... I don't know why. She has never done anything (which has alot to do with it) .. but yet there she is every Weekend ... Danika .. Danika .. Danika ... I hope she never wins a thing. Zip none nada. Is it her fault? Probably not ....

Blame ESPN ..

FYI she finished 19th this weekend. i have no idea who won (maybe it was Sam Hornish, i saw his name in a newspaper article). i am mad that i know this though
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby blankman » Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:23 pm

Chris Berman is awful with baseball. As the Swami in football he seems to get nearly every game wrong.

Jim Rome though is without a doubt the worst. He's just an arrogant jerk who thinks he knows everything.
Last edited by blankman on Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby benjapage » Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:35 pm

mayne brings me great delight--and is my favorite--but dan patrick is the best.

no question that skip bayless is the worst.

b
yeah, yes...
benjapage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers