Best/Worst ESPN Personalities - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Best/Worst ESPN Personalities

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby LooseCannon » Sun Jul 24, 2005 6:18 pm

longshotwi wrote:Best: Stuart Scott

Worst: Steven A. Smith

Quite Frankly he's an idiot....a lot of times we hate these ESPN guys because they are so one-sided and opinionated which is why they have their job.....

[url=http://www.mp3players4free.com/default.aspx?r=681536] www.mp3players4free.com[/url]
LooseCannon
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Tavish » Sun Jul 24, 2005 6:23 pm

The Road From Bristol Tourney is looking to decide just this very question. Other than the occasional Kenny Mayne (when he isn't repeating old shtick) and Chris Mortenson (on a good day), there isn't an ESPN personality I can tolerate for more than 15 seconds.

Around the Horn is the most god-awful debate show and PTI isn't all that much better. Baseball Tonight is 20 minutes of Yankee/Red Sox worship, NBA 2nite is anchored and staffed by P-Diddy wannabes and the world's tallest hippy, and NFL countdown figured Berman wasn't annoying enough and added pimp/cokehead Mike Irvin.

Probably the only show that never got on my nerves was the NHL spotlight show, since I never cared enough to watch it.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby wrveres » Sun Jul 24, 2005 7:03 pm

Tavish wrote:The Road From Bristol Tourney is looking to decide just this very question. Other than the occasional Kenny Mayne (when he isn't repeating old shtick) and Chris Mortenson (on a good day), there isn't an ESPN personality I can tolerate for more than 15 seconds.

Around the Horn is the most god-awful debate show and PTI isn't all that much better. Baseball Tonight is 20 minutes of Yankee/Red Sox worship, NBA 2nite is anchored and staffed by P-Diddy wannabes and the world's tallest hippy, and NFL countdown figured Berman wasn't annoying enough and added pimp/cokehead Mike Irvin.

Probably the only show that never got on my nerves was the NHL spotlight show, since I never cared enough to watch it.

ditto ...

I cannot stand ESPN anymore ..
the list is quite long actually ..
Red Sox/Yankees shoved down our throat constantly ..
If there is a game on ESPN, you can almost rest assured it is one of those two teams, and god forbid the weeks that they play each other. When that happens, you can pretty much forget about getting any sports news what so ever. I actually dispise the East coast teams even more, because of this. Before they were just bearable. You read the box scores and moved on. Not any more. It is almost to the point that I am thinking about blocking ESPN on my tube.

The personalities ..

Gammons ... Cannot stand with a passion.
"Hey Peter, what do you think of the Brewers chances this year?" ... "Er ummm err um" ( insert drool) .... "er ummmm err ummm ... RED SOX" ... "Er ummm err um Yankees " ... "Er ummm err um .. A's ... " somebody give the man a spit rag already.

Steven A Smith ... quite frankly I hope your show lasts no longer than one week. What garbage is this. Who really cares what this screamer thinks .

Skip Bayless ... Scum! ... (any other words to describe him, would be a waste of oxygen)

Berman ... I want to shove a stick up his arse, while screaming "Back, Back, Back" ....

The list of horrible personalities is endless ..

I would just like to thank ESPN for doing everything in their power to DESTROY sports for sports fans...

Nobody cares about shooting a pool ball into a boot.
Nobody cares about dogs jumping into water.
Nobody cares about how quickly somebody can cut thru wood with a chain saw. ...

when the **** did this become ..... Sport! :-t

Oh and BTW ... ESPN ...

I now hate Danika Patrick ... I don't know why. She has never done anything (which has alot to do with it) .. but yet there she is every Weekend ... Danika .. Danika .. Danika ... I hope she never wins a thing. Zip none nada. Is it her fault? Probably not ....

Blame ESPN ..
Last edited by wrveres on Sun Jul 24, 2005 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Postby Payne Dailey » Sun Jul 24, 2005 7:26 pm

SAS is the worst but Harold Reynolds is pretty close in annoyance.
I have to mute any MLB or LLWS game he's announcing.
Payne Dailey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Agreement

Postby kbarre » Sun Jul 24, 2005 7:26 pm

You'll hear no arguments here on the Steven A. Smith debate...

It's not even that he's smug, condescending, and and negative that gets me. It's that he doesn't know what he's talking about half the time. Seriously, I think he simply looks at the scores, a few minutes of game footage, and then writes down 5 or 6 beefs he has that he can say "quite frankly", and "make no bones about it" and other bs remarks. I swear I remember him berating Detroit one night for their poor freethrow shooting (and the free throw shooting is what WON them the game). He's an idiot. When he's on, I turn the channel. Clown.

As far as Berman, I don't like all the bashing on here! Sure, he can be annoying at times, but nobody can argue the influence he has had on sports journalism. Matter of fact, guys like him, Patrick, Ley, and Olberman essentially created the schtick sports reporter. So I cringe when Berman makes annoying comments, but respect the guy completely.

That's the thing. I think there's a big difference between annoying commentary (Berman, Scott, etc), and negative commentary (Smith, Bayless). Big difference. I can deal with some overweight guys out of their prime trying to make a joke. It's the guys who over-scrutinize things to the point of hilarity that get me the worst.

Then I'll digress and say that for some reason I love Jim Rome. Maybe it's the "Chris Evert" fight that does it for me every time. Also, he'll be negative, but praises equally as much.....He's in a whole other league than Screamin' A. Smith (who I don't even consider a journalist).
kbarre
College Coach
College Coach

Postby tmoney » Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:02 pm

I pretty much hate all of them for reasons everyone else has listed, but someone I have not seen talked about yet is Jim Rome. He doesnt know a lick about sports, and just complains/rants about everything after the fact. His opinion constantly changes based on what is happening in sports, he never has anything original to say. His in your face style is a joke, my 12 year old cousin could beat him up. And what is up with him having Roger Lodge (the host of Blind Date) as his regular guest? Roger Lodge played college basketball and knows more about sports than Rome, but seriously, cant he get someone a little more credible?

And to prove how "tough" Jim Rome really is, remember that time when he had Jim Everett on his show and he kept calling him Chris Everett (the female tennis player)? One of my favorite moments is when Everett flipped the table over and started choking Rome. Here is the clip for those that dont remember. http://home.swbell.net/jdougs/everett.mpeg
tmoney
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby slappinSingles » Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:30 pm

Stephen A. Smith, quite frankly you're an idiot.
Great article from the Sport Cloumn about Smith belittling Marty S for not kicking a field goal on 3rd down "If only Marty had tried the game winning field goal on 3rd down, the Chargers might still be in the playoffs. If Kaeding had missed, he would have had another shot on 4th down.":
http://www.sportscolumn.com/story/2005/ ... ield_Goals

Complete idiot.
slappinSingles
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby DaQ » Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:43 pm

Least favorite: Skip Bayless

I just don't like the guy. I hardly agree with what he says and he just gives me the wrong impression. I'm happy when Staphen A. Smith starts screaming at him and Bayless can't do anything.

Favorite: Scott Van Pelt/John Anderson

I like both of these guys. They say some witty things and give you the facts without any distractions. They also have a good on-air personality. Other contenders were other SportsCenter commoners like Steve Levy, Stuart Scott and Chris Berman (yes, I think they're good anchors, thank you very much !+) ).
DaQ
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Apollo » Mon Jul 25, 2005 2:09 am

Most of the "worst reporter" comments on here I agree with, but nobody has really brought up Sean Salisbury. I think he seems like a good guy, and I'd probably love to go take shots with him ( :-) ), but he's ALWAYS WRONG. If you watch him do that segment with Clayton on sportscenter, I almost feel bad for Clayton because he has to put up with Sean on a regular basis.

As for the ones I like, the list is short, but at the top are definitely Kornheiser and Wilbon. They don't yell, they don't spew spittle, they don't have catchphrases, but they know what they're talking about and they admit it when they're wrong. They're fun to watch. Kenny Mayne is good too, and so is Scott Van Pelt. I'll also be a rebel here and say I like Peter Gammons, too. Sure, he's always wrong about trades, but when you listen to him and any of the other guys on Baseball Tonight, it sounds like a trainer talking to chimps.
Apollo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Drunken Rhino » Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:41 am

Best - Hands down Barry Melrose.
Honorable Mention - John Kruk. I like the big dumb idiot. Kind of fun to watch in a live Homer Simpson kind of way. Also like to include Patrick, Olberman & Steiner. If for no other reason than the commercials they had. (Holyfield: "Where's Steiner?! Come out and get your whoopin'!") (Steiner: "You had me at hello...") Can i include Suzy Colbert on this list too? How about Corso & Herbstriet.

Worst - take your pick between Skip & Stephen A. When ESPN runs their Old School/Nu Skool segment, I have to turn to the Weather Channel or something else just as boring.
Honorable Mention - Stuart Scott and Trev Alberts.

Not really sure why every one hates Berman and Gammons so much. That's like saying you hated Dick Schapp. These guys are legends. Oh well. Can't change people's opinions. Guess that's why Skip and Screamin' A. are popular.

Can the Schwab make the list as an ESPN Personality? If so, he's on my best honorable mention list.
Drunken Rhino
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers