A.J. to the Whitesox? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

A.J. to the Whitesox?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Kingctb27 » Sun Jul 24, 2005 5:13 pm

Webster11 wrote:That deal looks very nice for the Marlins ;-D

Yeah, this isn't quite as bad as the Kazmir for Victor Zambrano that the Mets pulled off, but that would be a steal..... :-o
Kingctb27
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Champion
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby tmoney » Sun Jul 24, 2005 5:50 pm

I have heard a lot of talk about this trade today, but it is not official yet. Apparently there are White Sox scouts at the Marlins game today watching Burnett pitch, so Kenny Williams can make a final assessment of what Burnett is worth. I think there are some issues with Burnett's contract that are making this deal slow to move as well (AJ cant be the highest paid pitcher on the Sox roster).
If this deal does in fact go through, look for the Sox to try to replace Marte with another left handed relief pitcher since Cotts would be the only reliable one they have. Possibly Billy Wagner, more likely either Alan Embree, Steve Kline, or Ron Villone.
Personally, I am not sure if this is the deal that I want to see this White Sox make. Their pitching is definately good enough to get the job done, I think adding another bat would be more beneficial to the team. But I am sure that Kenny Williams will make something else happen.
tmoney
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Registered_Guest » Mon Jul 25, 2005 5:39 pm

I personally don't want the Sox to make this deal if it doesn't involve Contreras or El Duque.

I really don't want to have to depend on Cotts. Marte's one of the best lefty relievers in the game & their staff is fine 1 to 3. You'd be looking at Jose starting only 2-3 games all postseason.

Kenny has always been "win now" in the vast of majority of his trades -- even when the Sox probably didn't have what it took to go to the postseason. Wouldn't surprise me if they did the deal, just prefer they didn't.

I agree, I'd rather see a bat & one that doesn't cost Marte.
Registered_Guest
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Ditka311 » Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:34 pm

I am sorry, but i think they should make the deal. It has been too long since the Sox won a Series and they should do what they can to get another solid arm. Here is my reasoning:

McCarthy is a prospect. The Sox have a lot of young arms at the Lower A levels, including their first round pick this year - Lance Broadway (some say he will be ready sooner than later for the Bigs). While McCarthy has shown some signs of potential greatness, who knows if he puts it all together? Everyone thought Jeremy Reed and Olivo were going to be the next young stars on the South Side. While both are still young, they would not be starters on this year's team. Olivo has actually been on the decline while Reed has only shown he is an average/capable major league player. (.254 avg, 2Hr's - little power, and only 2sb's). What I am saying is, while McCarthy might be a great MLB pitcher someday, there's an equal chance he might not.

Marte was getting shelled at the beginning of the year and control was a major issue. He went on the DL and has been lights out since. I would hate to give him up but if that's what needs to happen, so be it.

Burnett is 28, and yeah, had major arm surgery but has come back from it and still throw gas. While Freddy G. and Contreras can get the ball up to around 95, they aren't pure fireballers like Burnett is. He would be a great change of pace in a rotation with more finesse pitchers like Buerhle and Garland. AJ is just entering into his prime and if they can sign him to a longer term deal it would be great.

As for Contreras and El Duque, they scare the h#ll out of me with their incosistency. Either or both would be solid contributors in middle relief. So while not directly acquiring a reliever, trading for Burnett would add to the pen.

I do agree they will need another LRP though. Wagner or Guardado would be great but unrealistic. I am not sure what they would need to give up for one of those guys, probably a lot.

Finally, another rumor around here is that Reinsdorf has given Williams the green light to spend as much as necessary. He probably sees that this will be his best chance to actually win a Series and attendance has been up. If they have to mortgage some of the future, so be it. Bring a World Series title to the South Side! I am sick of waiting for next year...let the Cubs keep that slogan.
Ditka311
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby davus » Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:44 pm

I can't believe how everybody is now a believer in Garland too. I am one who thinks that the Sox DESPERATELY need a top of the line starter to make it deep in the playoffs. If Garland doesn't blow up then we have an even stronger rotation...but if he does, we aren't sunk with a 3-4 of El Duque and Contreras. :-o

I heard from a friend that the Burnett deal fell through, can't find anything to substantiate. Schmidt might become available though. :-?
davus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby TheYanks04 » Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:49 pm

Are you saying you can't trust CON-treras? One of the few good moves Clueless Cashman has made unloading 13M or so of that salary.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Ditka311 » Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:17 am

davus wrote:I can't believe how everybody is now a believer in Garland too. I am one who thinks that the Sox DESPERATELY need a top of the line starter to make it deep in the playoffs. If Garland doesn't blow up then we have an even stronger rotation...but if he does, we aren't sunk with a 3-4 of El Duque and Contreras. :-o

I heard from a friend that the Burnett deal fell through, can't find anything to substantiate. Schmidt might become available though. :-?

Schmidt = :-t . San Fran was supposedly asking a TON for him. He looked pretty good tonight but he too has been inconsistent.

Until Garland falls apart, you kind of have to believe in him (albeit skeptically). He has been solid thus far.

If the Burnett deal falls through, so be it. I am sure the Sox gave it their all without gutting their team. You are right though about El Duque and Contreras. Supposedly El Duque is pretty solid in the playoffs but we'll have to just wait and see what happens, I guess.
Ditka311
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Ditka311 » Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:18 am

TheYanks04 wrote:Are you saying you can't trust CON-treras? One of the few good moves Clueless Cashman has made unloading 13M or so of that salary.

I think the Yankees are paying at least half of Contreras' contract, no? Not sure about the specifics but I think the Sox are on the hook for about $4mil a year?
Ditka311
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby AKhomebrewer » Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:06 am

I'd like to see the Sox-Marlins deal, if only for the 'A.J.-to-A.J.' battery on the Southside. ;-)
AKhomebrewer
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby nuggets » Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:17 am

rlee wrote:El Duque and Contreras can find their rightful spots on the bench.

I can't think of a #4 or #5 starter I' d rather have starting for me in the playoffs
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers