Delmon or Felix? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Delmon or Felix?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby theclefe » Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:10 pm

stumpak wrote:Delmon. Hitting prospects are much less risky than pitching prospects.

;-D

Hitters can play through most minor pains. For a pitcher, it throws everything off, clubs are overly protective and can sometimes set back pitching prospects for a year.
theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

re

Postby jdm » Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:23 pm

Will Delmon get a call up this year? I would prefer the hitter...but, I would hate to miss out on Felix, waiting for Delmon and then DY not get called up so that I could add him.
If it was a sure thing that DY would get called up...I'd wait...but, does anyone have any insight to when or if he would get a call up?

I would prefer DY, but I want to be sure to get one of them.
jdm
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Sultans of Squat » Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:20 am

Who's got the other high waiver priorities after you? Are they likely to need a great young arm more than a great young bat? If they seem likely to be willing to trade Delmon to you for Felix, then that'd make grabbing Felix now an easier choice.

As for whether Delmon will really come up this year, well, if Chuck LaMar says he might not, I'd tend to think not given their situation. Certainly, it doesn't sound like he'd come up before Sept. And more than likely, they're simply trying to keep him down there as long as possible so the clock won't start ticking towards arbitration and free agency sooner than they want. Afterall, Tampa's got nothing to play for this year and already have too many OF bats to play. They'd probably need to trade away somebody like Huff at least before they call up Young, and that didn't happen before the recent deadline.
Sultans of Squat
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 11)

Postby rocky123 » Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:20 am

Looks like Felix may be getting the call this week:

Now that the Mariners have released Aaron Sele, expect phenom Felix Hernandez (shoulder bursitis) to get his shot in Seattle.
Jorge Campillo will get the start tonight, but Hernandez should be slated to start on Thursday and was reportedly on the M's chartered flight yesterday to Detroit. Hernandez pitched four hitless, scoreless innings against Omaha on Saturday, and Tacoma pitching coach Rafael Chaves is impressed. ''Felix is showing he's probably a little better than the competition in Triple A.'' Aug. 2 - 10:03 am et
Finally The Rock has come back....to New York City!!
rocky123
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:33 pm

The problem of the "arbitration" clock argument that people espouse about prospects is that, outside the top 1/6 of players with less than 3 years experience, DY will still not be eligible for arbitration until he's been there 3 years - and that shouldn't change whether he's brought up now or in September.

Bringing DY up in September will not speed up his arbitration clock anymore than if he started 2006 in TB since he's already behind all of the rookies who have started their clock this year and will be ahead of him such that he doesn't fall into that 1/6. Heck, the Braves alone have at least 8 players whose clock is ahead of DY (Davies, Boyer, Betemit, Johnson, Francoeur, Langerhans, McCann, Orr, maybe Colon if he stays with Detroit, Marte if he's called up in September, etc.). So, if TB plans on playing him from the start in 2006, then there'd be no reason not to call him up in September - especially since they talk about what is best for his development, yet what works better for his development - playing baseball the final 3 weeks of the season or watching from home when the minor league season ends in early September.

Now, if the Rays don't plan on him being in TB at the beginning of 2006, then this would be a decision not to start his clock and I could see them not calling him up in September. However, to do so would further annoy fans (like me) who would like to see the future of the franchise.

So, based on the number of rookies in 2005, bringing up DY now should still not make him arb-eligible until after the 2008 season. If the Rays are going to try and push that until 2009, then he won't be brought up in September, nor would he likely start 2006 in the majors. As I just can't see the latter happening (or at least I hope it doesn't happen since I'd like to see him play), I fully expect that DY will make it to the majors this year.

With all of that said, I agree with raiders, though. Take the bird in the hand. It isn't as if Felix stinks. He's a great pitching prospect. And while it won't affect DY's ability to go to arbitration before the end of 2008 if he were brought up now, it would not surprise me that the cheapness of the Rays would cause them to keep DY in the minors through April of 2006 to push that until the end of the 2009 season. While I honestly don't think they will, it is possible, so take the sure thing with Felix.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

re

Postby jdm » Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:41 pm

So, since Felix is up and has been added....I'm going to grab him...unless anyone has any breaking news on Delmon getting the call...(which I agree with some people who have serious doubts as to whether he will be up this year at all).

And to answer one guys questions about the high waivers behind me...the guy directly beihnd me loves young players and is loaded with young hitters and pitchers....so he'll gladly grab whoever is left...and he hasn't made a single trade in 2 years.

My hope is that DY doesn't get called up until next year when I should have the #1 waiver again (league winner gets #1 waiver).
jdm
College Coach
College Coach

Re: re

Postby Sultans of Squat » Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:14 pm

My hope is that DY doesn't get called up until next year when I should have the #1 waiver again (league winner gets #1 waiver).

But even if he does come up this year, he's not exactly the only fish in the sea even though he's obviously the best *prospect* on offense.

Personally, I have little doubt that there will be other prospects who will end up being in similar ballpark for offense though they may or may not be OF bats and may or may not get much of any hype. The same could be said of King Felix of course.
Sultans of Squat
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 11)

Postby killa3312 » Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:46 am

Don't believe ANY THING Chuck Lamar or the Devil Rays' front office says. If Young keeps hitting like he is, they will bring up most assuredly. Tampa loves to show off its young players, they did it last year with Upton at 19, although e wasn't near close to ready defensively, and have done it in the past with Crawford and Baldelli. Young is a better prospect than all those players, so if they get a chance to show him off and increase attendance, they will. I would be shocked if Delmon wasn't up this season.
killa3312
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Webster11 » Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:19 pm

I was in the same situation. I used my #1 waiver priority on Felix, with no guarantee that Delmon will be called up I wasnt taking my chances.
Webster11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:09 am

I still think Young is the best prospect with Hermida close behind him. Pitching prospects are too unpredictable IMO although Felix is probably as good as any I've ever seen.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Previous

Return to Minor League & College Baseball