Scott Baker - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Scott Baker

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Scott Baker

Postby AT » Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:35 pm

Looking impressive again against the Tigers. Anyone have some history on this kid?
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby yanks#27 » Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:34 pm

From his minor league stats, he looks pretty good. Except for last year in AAA. He looks like he will get a fair amount of K's.
New York Yankees 2005 Champs
yanks#27
College Coach
College Coach

Postby theclefe » Sun Jul 24, 2005 12:12 am

Good young pitcher with control and maturity. I don't think he will be an ace, but a solid 2-3 guy. My top pick of the young guys coming up, just over Duke and Olsen.
theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 1)

Postby carter » Sun Jul 24, 2005 6:37 am

he blazed in AA last year, but got hit in AAA.. he took a step forward this year, has excellent command of 4 pitches and knows how to get out of a jam .. better then a 3 pitcher, probable ace
carter
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 15)

Postby mcqfesijiba » Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:10 pm

I really don't know very much about Baker, but I do remember that one of the offseason top prospect lists actually listed Baker as the #1 prospect among AL pitchers. Here's a link to that oft-criticised list.
http://www.baseballnotebook.com/essay.asp?esource=e_123004.asp&topt=Top%20100%20Prospects%20AL%20Pitchers
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby AT » Sun Jul 24, 2005 5:25 pm

mcqfesijiba wrote:I really don't know very much about Baker, but I do remember that one of the offseason top prospect lists actually listed Baker as the #1 prospect among AL pitchers. Here's a link to that oft-criticised list.
http://www.baseballnotebook.com/essay.asp?esource=e_123004.asp&topt=Top%20100%20Prospects%20AL%20Pitchers

Thanks. You need to update your Granderson stats :-D
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Postby thehat » Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:19 pm

I don't see Baker as a top of the rotation guy, but a solid mid-rotation performer. He doesn't really have dominating stuff, but his excellent command will be an asset.

Once he's fully ready, a good shot at being a steady 13-17 win, 3.50 type and there's nothing wrong with that.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby zepfan » Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:56 am

mcqfesijiba wrote:I really don't know very much about Baker, but I do remember that one of the offseason top prospect lists actually listed Baker as the #1 prospect among AL pitchers. Here's a link to that oft-criticised list.

8-o I can see why that list was oft-criticized.

"My cat's breath smells like cat food." - R. Wiggum
zepfan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 5)

Postby mamorris » Mon Jul 25, 2005 4:25 am

zepfan wrote:

He takes a different approach to evaluating talent, and doesn't rank the trendy names highly just because everybody else does. He's been bringing out these lists for a while now, and they're no more or less reliable than most other, more conventional lists. Translation: if you're in a fantasy league with reasonably deep minor league rosters, it's a gold mine.
mamorris
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby theclefe » Mon Jul 25, 2005 7:34 am

mamorris wrote:
zepfan wrote:

He takes a different approach to evaluating talent, and doesn't rank the trendy names highly just because everybody else does. He's been bringing out these lists for a while now, and they're no more or less reliable than most other, more conventional lists. Translation: if you're in a fantasy league with reasonably deep minor league rosters, it's a gold mine.

I enjoy his listings. It is one of the few independent sources for minor league baseball. Most seem to follow cues from Baseball America and slightly tweek it. I purchased his mid-season minor league projections and it's very deep, covering every player with current stats, his projections and why. He is a big stat-head, but his stuff is great when used in contrast.

BTW, BA doesn't even have Baker in it's top 100!?! But Edwin Jackson is #30. Who would you take?
theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 1)

Return to Baseball Leftovers