in which roto category does a 1 point lead mean the most? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

in which roto category does a 1 point lead mean the most?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Which Category Do You Think?

Home Runs
No votes
Steals
18%
Wins
59%
Saves
23%

Total votes : 22

in which roto category does a 1 point lead mean the most?

Postby brdmaverick » Wed Jun 11, 2003 3:55 pm

I am in a H2H 6x6 roto league, and by my question, what I mean is: In which roto category would a 1 point deficit be the hardest to overcome? Another way to phrase the question: If you had to be down by one point in any category, in which category would you least like it to be.

I didn't include RBI and Runs in the poll, because I figured it was quite obvious that a one RBI or 1 Run deficit wasn't too hard to overcome.
brdmaverick
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby jdh » Wed Jun 11, 2003 4:26 pm

It obviously has to be saves, because there is a limited number of saves available in any league. Wins are more easy to come by than saves, because there is a winning pitcher in every single game, while it takes certain criteria for a save opportunity to be available. I don't have any stats, but I'd imagine there are save chances in fewer than 60% of all games. It's not home runs, because there are probably 50 guys available that can get you 30 homers, but less than 20 that will give you 30 saves.

You could also make an argument for stolen bases as well, although the amount of players you can get that will give you steals are greater than save sources, which are limited to 1 per MLB team, or 30 for the league. You can always find one dimensional steals guys like Crawford or Sanchez on waiver wires to fill a need, but in most leagues every closer will be on a roster.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby twinsfan » Wed Jun 11, 2003 4:56 pm

Yeah, what he said.
twinsfan
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

wrong

Postby nope » Wed Jun 11, 2003 6:47 pm

its wins, look at any roto league the leader in saves at this point in time has anywhere between 40-55 Saves. Look at W's leaders will not have more than 40-45. Though they are close and maybe because this year is this year and for some reasons the studs dont have amazing records WINS takes the cake. I know Im ecstatic when I get 2 W's but when i get 2 Saves no big deal. When Randy Pedro Schilling Maddux cant equal in W's what Smoltz has in Saves the answer is evident. Even if you took Moyer, Meche, and Halladay only now do you equal Smoltz Saves in Wins. I hoped I proved my point somewhere in there.
nope

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby bleach168 » Wed Jun 11, 2003 7:46 pm

Remember, the original poster stated that this was a H2H 6x6 roto league. He didn't say it was daily or weekly transactions, but usually it's daily in which case Saves is the hardest to get. You really can't just pluck closers off free agency, but you can find starters who are going on that last day if you are needing some wins.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 50)

Postby tjhksig » Wed Jun 11, 2003 8:15 pm

There were 2744 steals last year.

There were 2430 wins.

Wins are harder to come by.
tjhksig
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jdh » Wed Jun 11, 2003 8:17 pm

If there were 2340 wins, there would be probably half as many saves. I mean, look at Smoltz who led the league with 55 saves last year. The Braves won over 100 games, so even the best closer only saved about 1/2 their games. I'd imagine there were only 30% as many saves as wins.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby quickfingerz » Wed Jun 11, 2003 9:28 pm

THE MASTER OF NUMBERS IS HERE!

WINS... EASILY

Let's say I'm down on saves, what do I do?
TRADE FOR A CLOSER!

Ok now, let's say I'm down on wins, what do I do?
PRAY!

Look at it, every year there are arms that get wins they don't deserve. Wins have a lot to do with chance. Some years a guy has tons of run support and some years they have none.

No matter what starters you have, if your opponent has Williamson, Dotel, Fouke, Biddle and Looper he has 17 Wins just from relief pitchers alone.
Tim Hudson a GOOD pitcher has a whopping 4 wins

Makes sense? (I'd use more numbers but that'd take too long)
The key to Fantasy Sports is NOT about Sports but rather the "manipulation of numbers" in your favor

MASTER THOSE NUMBERS
quickfingerz
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Madison » Thu Jun 12, 2003 7:05 am

I'm going with wins as well. A starter can go 7 scoreless and still not get a win. Bullpen blows it, tied at zero, there are lots of things that can cost you a "W". If the closer does his job, he gets a save. There are lots of opportunities for closers (every game). A starter only gets about 35 starts. It's close, but I'd say wins are a little harder to come by.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby great gretzky » Thu Jun 12, 2003 10:27 am

i think it depends on the league composition. in my league, myself and anopther player are far and away the leaders in steals. but the top five teams in saves are all within fives saves of each other. in the saves category, I am second and 20 ahead of the next guy, while the person above me is twenty ahead. at least with saves, if someone stinks or gets hurt, someone is promoted. Steals is an biility you eithe rhave or don;t. you don;t promote a "basestealer" necessarily. if you lose that asset, a manager may jsut change hsi strategy a bit. I think it is close between saves and steals, league player distribution has the say. I do knwo if isn't whip. AVG or era, everyone has a player who could tear it up and improve those categories for them. same with rbi and HR, as almsot every batter can get you one. I think itis SB's. while there are more basestealers than closers, they are also much more unpredictable.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers