Ponson for Nevin. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Ponson for Nevin.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby davidmarver » Mon Jul 25, 2005 7:07 pm

Strasil42 wrote:I wonder what David thinks of this deal.

I'm in Minnesota right now, so I haven't been able to post.

I have mixed opinions on this trade; it certainly hurts our team this year. Nevin is definitely servicable...I like Nevin, unlike a lot of Padres fans. Nevin would also be a great DH if we got to the World Series, which, right now, looks like an improbability. Ponson isn't anything to brag about; he had a few decent seasons, but now he's complete trash. I would have rather have had Germano (who's now on the Reds) than Ponson as our #5, if only for the fact that it would give the young kids some experience.

If Eaton goes to the pen, it'd only be temporarily; I wouldn't listen to ESPN.

This trade, however, does free up a lot of money for Giles or Hernandez to resign in the offseason, preferably Giles, so I can't complain too much. This also gives Nady well-deserved playing time.

Overall, I can't say I like the deal, but I don't think it hurts too much in the long run.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:06 pm

It's obvious that this is an even swap for the two teams. Each team gets rid of it's garbage.

Ponson blows. Now that that's established, he did pitch pretty well with the Gints in 03. Padres are probably hoping that a change of env't might do him some good and eat up some innings.

As someone already mentioned, the Pads have Nady who is probably a better option than Nevin already. Plus Nevin is a whiner.

The O's get rid of a HUGE mistake and they acquire a bat so they can trade for another starter. Makes sense on both fronts.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Strasil42 » Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:08 pm

davidmarver wrote:
Strasil42 wrote:I wonder what David thinks of this deal.

I'm in Minnesota right now, so I haven't been able to post.

I have mixed opinions on this trade; it certainly hurts our team this year. Nevin is definitely servicable...I like Nevin, unlike a lot of Padres fans. Nevin would also be a great DH if we got to the World Series, which, right now, looks like an improbability. Ponson isn't anything to brag about; he had a few decent seasons, but now he's complete trash. I would have rather have had Germano (who's now on the Reds) than Ponson as our #5, if only for the fact that it would give the young kids some experience.

If Eaton goes to the pen, it'd only be temporarily; I wouldn't listen to ESPN.

This trade, however, does free up a lot of money for Giles or Hernandez to resign in the offseason, preferably Giles, so I can't complain too much. This also gives Nady well-deserved playing time.

Overall, I can't say I like the deal, but I don't think it hurts too much in the long run.

Thanks, you always know your padres.
Strasil42
General Manager
General Manager

Postby tareed1979 » Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:32 pm

It looks like Phil rejected the move. He didn't want to move his family. Good for him.
tareed1979
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:33 pm

tareed1979 wrote:It looks like Phil rejected the move. He didn't want to move his family. Good for him.

That's what they just said on the BAL/TEX telecast. Unexpected, by me at least.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 814)

Postby TheYanks04 » Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:34 pm

If true, Nevin's value just hit the basement as he will likely be benched in retaliation.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby tareed1979 » Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:35 pm

tareed1979
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Raf » Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:08 pm

I don't understand why they'd retaliate... isn't that part of the contract?
Raf
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:14 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:The Orioles don't need more offense but this is not a bad trade for them. Ponson is absolute trash and has an awful attitude as well. Can't argue with them for being fed up with him and wanting to get rid of him. It's not like he does anything on the field anyway.

Camden is obviously a much better park than Petco so once he gets used to the pitching, he'll be yet another huge force in that lineup. When Ponson is the trash that he is, any price is a good one, and Nevin is a very good player.

Padres are getting robbed on this deal if it goes down IMO. Makes zero sense.

I don't understand your point on Camden. Camden can make Nevin LOOK better, but that's not relevant. What's relevant to the Orioles--as opposed to fantasy players---is the ACTUAL offensive production they get from Nevin.

If Nevin continues to hit crappy, it doesn't matter if the stadium makes it look like he's hitting better.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby davidmarver » Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:17 pm

I am sorta glad Nevin rejected the deal; we can get more, from a team he cannot reject a trade to, for him.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers