Ponson for Nevin. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Ponson for Nevin.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Sat Jul 23, 2005 6:52 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:Good for Nevin owners as his value should go up quite a bit in a move to Camden Yards.

Ponson? WHy would anyone want Ponson? Padres are losing pretty big here unless a lot of cash is being cleared out.

Baltimore may as well take Nevin as Ponson is not worth squat anyway. His pitching can be replaced by any loser.

Nevin BA/OBP/SLG/OPS in away games this year:

.248 .288 .411 .699

Looks to me like the problem for Nevin is not simply his park. He was decent enough last year, but I hope this 5 month slump ends.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Sat Jul 23, 2005 6:56 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:Why is this a bad move for the Os? They get a decent bat they can DH, play 3rd, the OF or first with for the price of a crummy, overpaid starter. I am sure they will try to add a pitcher, but Nevin is certainly a good move for them irrespective of everything else. Like Ponson and his 6+ERA ws going to win them the AL East?

He may be toast, since he hasn't had a good month since last August.

He has not played 3B since 2002 and is certainly not going to displace more.

He has not played OF since 2003 and has a total of 83 games in the OF in his career.

So, basically, he's a RH 1B who can't hit better than your typical SS at this point. Camden will help, but if he's as bad as he has been the last 5 months, he's no help on offense.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby wrveres » Sun Jul 24, 2005 2:24 am

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:
TheYanks04 wrote:Why is this a bad move for the Os? They get a decent bat they can DH, play 3rd, the OF or first with for the price of a crummy, overpaid starter. I am sure they will try to add a pitcher, but Nevin is certainly a good move for them irrespective of everything else. Like Ponson and his 6+ERA ws going to win them the AL East?

He may be toast, since he hasn't had a good month since last August.

He has not played 3B since 2002 and is certainly not going to displace more.

He has not played OF since 2003 and has a total of 83 games in the OF in his career.

So, basically, he's a RH 1B who can't hit better than your typical SS at this point. Camden will help, but if he's as bad as he has been the last 5 months, he's no help on offense.

This deal is far from done ...

and other than this one dumbchit reporter making things up, I have heard or read absolutely nothing that says Eaton will go to the pen. Besides, Eaton has a finger injury, not an elbow injury.

Here is more on Nevin ..

[url=http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/padres/20050723-1244-padres-moves.html]"The Padres have not even asked our approval yet," agent Barry Axelrod told The Associated Press. "If they were to ask for our approval, for Phil to even consider it I'm sure there would have to be some discussion. He and/or I would want to talk with the Orioles and find out what his role would be there."

"Obviously, it's not going to happen without our approval," Axelrod said. "So obviously, it's not close to being done."

General manager Kevin Towers also said the Padres had yet to seek Nevin's approval.

The Padres have wanted to trade Nevin for some time, because of his big salary and volatile temper. But they've come up against the no-trade provisions they included in a $34 million contract extension they gave him in November 2001 after he had a career year.

In December 2002, Nevin blocked a deal that would have sent him to the Reds for Ken Griffey Jr.

"It kind of goes back to what happened in the Cincinnati deal," Axelrod said. "Kevin had a deal made, then called and asked if Phil would accept it. I said, 'No way.' Phil's criteria has always been that he would like to play for a West Coast team. He wants to play for San Diego. He doesn't want to leave here. He's got a new home being built here.

"But if they've arrived at the conclusion that the profile of the team needs to change in some way, then we'll re-examine the circumstances when we're asked."

That could include asking for more money.

"I suppose we could try to exact something out of them, but it hasn't gotten to that point," Axelrod said.

Nevin also has angered Padres management with his temper and attitude, which helped contribute to his roundabout big league career in which three teams previously gave up on him. Houston picked him No. 1 overall in the 1992 draft, but he didn't reach the majors until 1995, and lasted only 18 games with the Astros before being sent to Detroit.

Nevin made an obscene gesture to a heckling San Diego fan late in the 2002 season. Last season, he and fellow slugger Ryan Klesko groused about the spacious, home run-robbing outfield dimensions at the Padres' new ballpark, Petco Park.

In mid-August, Nevin cursed and gestured after a ball he thought should have gone out merely went for a double. When the inning ended, he flung his helmet and glared in the direction of Towers' box. Nevin and Towers had a heated exchange after the game.
[/url]
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Postby thehat » Sun Jul 24, 2005 2:56 am

Nevin's a SoCal guy, so he may reject this. Wants to stay out west. SD would love to unload him as he's got about 10 mill coming if he's there next season. And they don't need him.

I can't stand Ponson, so I can't give SD props if this happens.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby wrveres » Sun Jul 24, 2005 3:00 am

thehat wrote:Nevin's a SoCal guy, so he may reject this. Wants to stay out west. SD would love to unload him as he's got about 10 mill coming if he's there next season. And they don't need him.

from what I have read, it doesn't sound like SD really wants Ponson either, except that it frees up money long term.

with four 1B on the roster, somebody has to go, and Phil makes the most. Besides, he is only one diving catch away from missing the whole season.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Postby theclefe » Sun Jul 24, 2005 5:35 am

This just bought Ponson a couple of more starts with my team.
theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 1)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Mon Jul 25, 2005 5:36 pm

The Orioles don't need more offense but this is not a bad trade for them. Ponson is absolute trash and has an awful attitude as well. Can't argue with them for being fed up with him and wanting to get rid of him. It's not like he does anything on the field anyway.

Camden is obviously a much better park than Petco so once he gets used to the pitching, he'll be yet another huge force in that lineup. When Ponson is the trash that he is, any price is a good one, and Nevin is a very good player.

Padres are getting robbed on this deal if it goes down IMO. Makes zero sense.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby Strasil42 » Mon Jul 25, 2005 5:48 pm

I wonder what David thinks of this deal.
Strasil42
General Manager
General Manager

Postby OREO fan » Mon Jul 25, 2005 5:55 pm

wrveres wrote:
thehat wrote:Nevin's a SoCal guy, so he may reject this. Wants to stay out west. SD would love to unload him as he's got about 10 mill coming if he's there next season. And they don't need him.

from what I have read, it doesn't sound like SD really wants Ponson either, except that it frees up money long term.

with four 1B on the roster, somebody has to go, and Phil makes the most. Besides, he is only one diving catch away from missing the whole season.

a friend of mine actually works in padres organization - after hearing about this rumor (especially since i am an oriole fan) i called him up asking him the deal

apparently they absolutely love x nady and really want to get him some regular at-bats (i know i didnt need an insider to tell me this but he said it anyway)

he also mentioned that they are afraid that because of his injury eaton is going to have to go to the bullpen because he can only throw his fastball and changeup without pain - so they need an innings-eating starter (which if nothing else, ponson is)

as an oriole fan - i am keeping my fingers crossed that nevin agrees to this - he might be having a bad year, but i figure a move to a hitters park can only help his attitude and hopefully his performance - and i think that we might have a few minor league starters who could produce better than sidney's output at this point
OREO fan
College Coach
College Coach

Postby gofish » Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:53 pm

Ponson is just soooooo bad, It would be much cheaper to just bring up a minor leaguer and have him fire it down the middle... SD doesn't have anyone with an arm in AAA?
gofish
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers