Ponson for Nevin. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Ponson for Nevin.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:59 pm

kingctb27 wrote:
go_jays_go wrote:Via Rotoworld..

According to ESPN's Buster Olney, Phil Nevin hasn't yet waived his no-trade clause to go the Orioles in return for Sidney Ponson.

Apparently, this isn't as done as ESPNews made it sound originally. Nevin is in the starting lineup for the Padres today.
Jul. 23 - 2:12 pm et

I saw this just a few minutes ago. Y would he not want to go to the O's though. Great Clubhouse and they look like they are going to be a force for the next few years. I'd go to the east coast if I were him......

and with all of his injury problems, youd figure hed love the idea of DHing every now and then..
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AT » Sat Jul 23, 2005 3:00 pm

Acquiring Nevin makes zero sense for the Orioles. Acquiring Ponson is just a stupid move for anyone to make. This trade made me laugh.
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bellybrother » Sat Jul 23, 2005 3:02 pm

Atrophying Testicles wrote:Acquiring Nevin makes zero sense for the Orioles. Acquiring Ponson is just a stupid move for anyone to make. This trade made me laugh.

Surely they plan to move him(Nevin) when they make a move for pitching....????
bellybrother
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby go_jays_go » Sat Jul 23, 2005 3:02 pm

The Miner Part 2 wrote:
kingctb27 wrote:
go_jays_go wrote:Via Rotoworld..

According to ESPN's Buster Olney, Phil Nevin hasn't yet waived his no-trade clause to go the Orioles in return for Sidney Ponson.

Apparently, this isn't as done as ESPNews made it sound originally. Nevin is in the starting lineup for the Padres today.
Jul. 23 - 2:12 pm et

I saw this just a few minutes ago. Y would he not want to go to the O's though. Great Clubhouse and they look like they are going to be a force for the next few years. I'd go to the east coast if I were him......

and with all of his injury problems, youd figure hed love the idea of DHing every now and then..

Great point ;-D
Last edited by go_jays_go on Sat Jul 23, 2005 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
go_jays_go
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Armed and Hammered » Sat Jul 23, 2005 3:06 pm

bellybrother wrote:
Atrophying Testicles wrote:Acquiring Nevin makes zero sense for the Orioles. Acquiring Ponson is just a stupid move for anyone to make. This trade made me laugh.

Surely they plan to move him(Nevin) when they make a move for pitching....????

I agree. I think this is just the beginning for the O's. Burnett is probably around the corner.
Armed and Hammered
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Berge20 » Sat Jul 23, 2005 3:44 pm

Sp_Da_Man wrote:Without knowing all the specifics it's hard to see what SD gains out of this deal.

Maybe Eaton is hurting more than they are leading on?

"The Padres have a need for a starter because Adam Eaton (9-2 in 14 starts, 3.42 ERA) likely heading to the bullpen. Bothered by elbow pain, Eaton can't throw his curveball, relegating him as a fastball-changeup reliever."

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2114944
Berge20
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Half Massed » Sat Jul 23, 2005 4:52 pm

Berge20 wrote:
Sp_Da_Man wrote:Without knowing all the specifics it's hard to see what SD gains out of this deal.

"The Padres have a need for a starter because Adam Eaton (9-2 in 14 starts, 3.42 ERA) likely heading to the bullpen. Bothered by elbow pain, Eaton can't throw his curveball, relegating him as a fastball-changeup reliever."

bad news for eaton owners. still you'd think the pads would be able to get someone better than ponson...
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Pokeyouindaeye » Sat Jul 23, 2005 4:54 pm

Somehow I think Nevin ends up with the Marlins.
Yes, I was, uh... I was thinking about ordering the tape, the videotape... about the college girls and the... the wild... the wildness. They're going wild or something? Somebody told me... about going wild.
-Larry David
Pokeyouindaeye
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 6)

Postby TheYanks04 » Sat Jul 23, 2005 6:12 pm

Why is this a bad move for the Os? They get a decent bat they can DH, play 3rd, the OF or first with for the price of a crummy, overpaid starter. I am sure they will try to add a pitcher, but Nevin is certainly a good move for them irrespective of everything else. Like Ponson and his 6+ERA ws going to win them the AL East?
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby stevethumb » Sat Jul 23, 2005 6:23 pm

Berge20 wrote:

....why didn't the padres make a pitch for AJ Burnett ? jeeeeez, ponson is horrible..justin germano would have been a better option
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers