Who is going be the first fantasy pick of 2006? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is going be the first fantasy pick of 2006?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Sultans of Squat » Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:17 am

Good point about being a good owner.

I think though that we've forgotten something when discussing position scarcity -- even though I believe it matters. The existence of a Util slot in most leagues dilutes the issue of position depth for 1B because most teams will end up w/ two, not just one, 1B bats in their everyday lineup. So in the end, regardless of position depth, you probably won't want your 1st pick to be much less productive than the best bat available period. ARod is probably close enough to Pujols for position depth to matter, but not too many other bats will be close enough to figure into the debate. If you took Pujols for 1B, that doesn't necessarily mean you won't still want another good 1B in one of the later rounds (or off the waiver wire).
Sultans of Squat
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Big Pimpin » Mon Jul 25, 2005 5:24 pm

For my money I'd take Pujols. He's just an absolute stud. Makes great contact and is a triple crown threat every single year. ARod is definitely no slouch himself, but I'd take Pujols and then try to grab a guy like ARam for 3B. Just my two cents.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Laean » Mon Jul 25, 2005 5:27 pm

Osk wrote:i was obviously joking about weeks..

i'd definitely go with pujos.. he's younger, has a better BA... doesn't slump as much..

obviously, you can't really go wrong with either pujos or a-rod.. and vlade when he's healthy..

as for position scarcity, it is true that there is more depth at 1b.. however, if you're a savvy owner (which i'm assuming most of you are) that shouldn't really be a problem.. i mean, my first two picks this year were Rolen and Thome :~( that's right.. a 3b and 1b.. even though they're on the DL, my team isn't missing a beat, as I picked up ensberg off waivers and traded for Delgado (and got shelton off waivers). even at 2b, which is a lot more scarce than 1b or 3b, i ended up with giles weeks and vidro.. honestly, if you're a good owner, you can find players at most positions. therefore, draft the best player at #1 regardless of position.. that player would be... PUJOS.

i agree.
Laean
General Manager
General Manager

Postby 9er Fan » Mon Jul 25, 2005 5:46 pm

Pujols, unless A-Rod gets SS elligibility (he's close in ESPN leagues).
9er Fan
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Webster11 » Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:56 pm

The Jury wrote:
Webster11 wrote:
Yoda wrote:
zhutou wrote:
Cleveland Steamers wrote:To say that Miggy Cabrera is right up there with Pujols isnt right. To say that Cabrera would be selected #1 in keeper drafts is actually quite funny.

how so? the kid is 22 and he's already having an mvp caliber season. please explain.

Pujols was slightly better than Cabrera was at the same age. But you certainly can't argue with Miggy's success this season. He's on fire and if he continues this pace, he's going to be a top 10 player at the end of the season. The fact that he is 3 years younger than Pujols makes him just as attractive in a keeper league IMO.

Thats debatable. Pujols showed much more consistency than Cabrera has at his age, but you've got to like the growth of Cabrera's stats.

<pre>Age 20 - Cabrera - 314 ab, 39 runs, 12 hr, 62 rbi, .268 avg
Pujols - N/A

Age 21 - Cabrera - 603 ab, 101 runs, 33 hr, 112rbi, .294 avg
Pujols - 590ab, 112 runs, 37 runs, 130 rbi, .329 avg

Age 22 - Cabrera - 631 ab, 120 runs, 39 hr, 125 rbi, .350 avg
Pujols - 590 ab, 118 runs, 34 hr, 127 rbi, .314 avg </pre>

Theres not enough data to make an accurate comparison, but the belief that Pujols was better than Cabrera was at the same age is not as clear cut as many might believe.

*Cabrera's age 22 stats are projected.

It's a weak comparison anyways - a comparison of the wrong numbers.

RBI and runs are quite team dependant. Manny's 20 (approx.) grand slams are a fun feat but in reality they are no more skillful than 20 of his solo shots. I don't mean to be a saberguru but the individual stats are what we need to look at.

Arent we talking about Fantasy here? I think using the standard roto categories is good enough for making a fantasy comparison
Webster11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby Kingctb27 » Mon Jul 25, 2005 7:15 pm

Tavish wrote:Pujols. If there wasn't such a high Vlad injury concern right now I would take him #1. Appearantly Beltran is going to be a major steal next season.

I agree. ;-D If you can get him in the begining of the 2nd round, imo, thats awesome. ;-D
Kingctb27
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Champion

Postby Yoda » Mon Jul 25, 2005 7:55 pm

Webster11 wrote:
The Jury wrote:
Webster11 wrote:
Yoda wrote:
zhutou wrote:
Cleveland Steamers wrote:To say that Miggy Cabrera is right up there with Pujols isnt right. To say that Cabrera would be selected #1 in keeper drafts is actually quite funny.

how so? the kid is 22 and he's already having an mvp caliber season. please explain.

Pujols was slightly better than Cabrera was at the same age. But you certainly can't argue with Miggy's success this season. He's on fire and if he continues this pace, he's going to be a top 10 player at the end of the season. The fact that he is 3 years younger than Pujols makes him just as attractive in a keeper league IMO.

Thats debatable. Pujols showed much more consistency than Cabrera has at his age, but you've got to like the growth of Cabrera's stats.

Pujols - N/A

Theres not enough data to make an accurate comparison, but the belief that Pujols was better than Cabrera was at the same age is not as clear cut as many might believe.

RBI and runs are quite team dependant. Manny's 20 (approx.) grand slams are a fun feat but in reality they are no more skillful than 20 of his solo shots. I don't mean to be a saberguru but the individual stats are what we need to look at.

Arent we talking about Fantasy here? I think using the standard roto categories is good enough for making a fantasy comparison

Trust me. I know what I'm saying. Pujols was slightly better than Miggy at the same age. He had much better plate discipline but Miggy is clearly not that far behind.

I also don't believe Pujol's age. I think he is at least a couple of years older than his listed age but that is an entirely my opinion and not related to the topic on hand.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby The Jury » Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:16 pm

Webster11 wrote:
The Jury wrote:
Webster11 wrote:
Yoda wrote:
zhutou wrote:

Pujols - N/A

When you bring intangibles such as age into the comparison, then it's a real life comparison.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Yoda » Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:23 pm

The Jury wrote:
Webster11 wrote:
The Jury wrote:
Webster11 wrote:
Yoda wrote:
zhutou wrote:

Pujols - N/A

When you bring intangibles such as age into the comparison, then it's a real life comparison.

Not really since evaluating a player progression is key in fantasy baseball.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby The Jury » Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:30 pm

Yoda wrote:
Webster11 wrote:
The Jury wrote:
Webster11 wrote:
Yoda wrote:
zhutou wrote:

Pujols - N/A

Trust me. I know what I'm saying. Pujols was slightly better than Miggy at the same age. He had much better plate discipline but Miggy is clearly not that far behind.

I also don't believe Pujol's age. I think he is at least a couple of years older than his listed age but that is an entirely my opinion and not related to the topic on hand.

Well something to this nature is definitely getting into a baseball players vs. baseball player debate, which is much more than just a simple fantasy hitter comparison.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers